Author Topic: The US government underestimated solar energy installation in the US by 4,813%  (Read 1282 times)

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
Interesting.

https://qz.com/1103874/the-us-government-underestimated-solar-energy-installation-in-the-us-by-4813-along-with-renewable-wind-and-solar-generation/

The only thing certain in this life are death, taxes and the US department of energy’s massive underestimate of renewable energy capacity.

Every two years, the US Energy Information Administration (EIA), America’s official source for energy statistics, issues scenarios about how much solar, wind and conventional energy the future holds for the US. Every two years, since the mid-1990s, the EIA is wrong. Last year, it was spectacularly wrong.

The Natural Resources Defense Council and Statista recently teamed up to analyze the EIA’s predictions for energy usage and production. It found that the EIA’s ten-year estimates between 2006 to 2016 systematically understated the share of wind, solar and gas. Solar capacity, in particular, was a whopping 4,813% more in 2016 than the EIA had predicted it would be.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Another spectacularly gross misrepresentation in this article.

The underestimation of solar is related to capacity, which may not have any correlation of how much that capacity is utilized. 

On the other hand, the overestimation of fossil fuels is related to consumption, which is what is actually used.

This distortion is not done by accident.

It is to deliberately done to deceive in order to advance an agenda.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
Another spectacularly gross misrepresentation in this article.

The underestimation of solar is related to capacity, which may not have any correlation of how much that capacity is utilized. 

On the other hand, the overestimation of fossil fuels is related to consumption, which is what is actually used.

This distortion is not done by accident.

It is to deliberately done to deceive in order to advance an agenda.

So do you feel that after accounting for your observations the findings in the article are a complete non-story, or is a nearly 5000% underestimation of solar capacity still somewhat significant?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 04:00:23 am by Dexter »
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline Joe Wooten

So do you feel that after accounting for your observations the findings in the article are a complete non-story, or is a nearly 5000% underestimation of solar capacity still somewhat significant?

It is significant. A significant LIE! Solar will always be a niche power producer, an expensive niche producer.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
It is significant. A significant LIE! Solar will always be a niche power producer, an expensive niche producer.

Even if you get the equipment installed for free the costs of upkeep will break you!  Kind of like an inkjet printer!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

One is comparing different things, capacity and consumption.

Let's try to find a real comparison in order to see where the truth lies rather than just guessing.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington