Author Topic: Initial jobless claims slump to 44-year low  (Read 1362 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Initial jobless claims slump to 44-year low
« on: October 19, 2017, 01:43:56 pm »
Initial jobless claims slump to 44-year low
MarketWatch, Oct 19, 2017

The numbers: Initial jobless claims, a way to measure layoffs, sank by 22,000 to 222,000 in the week ended Oct. 14. That’s the lowest figure since March 1973 and well below the 244,000 MarketWatch forecast.

The more stable monthly average of claims declined by 9,500 to 248,250, though it remains somewhat elevated because of the recent hurricanes.

The number of people already collecting unemployment benefits, known as continuing claims, decreased by 16,000 to 1.89 million, the Labor Department said. That’s also a 44-year low.

More:  http://www.marketwatch.com/story/initial-jobless-claims-fall-to-levels-not-seen-since-march-1973-2017-10-19?siteid=yhoof2&yptr=yahoo

Re: Initial jobless claims slump to 44-year low
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 01:44:31 pm »
Dear NT's:  This is good news.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 01:58:32 pm »

It sure is.  I wonder when Trump is going to talk more about how the unemployment numbers are fake again.  Has he tasked Alex Acosta with digging in to that?

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 01:59:51 pm »

Funny, I find myself arguing with Trumpites that the economy is doing well, vs. them saying it's doing bad despite all evidence to the contrary.

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 02:20:30 pm »
It sure is.  I wonder when Trump is going to talk more about how the unemployment numbers are fake again.  Has he tasked Alex Acosta with digging in to that?

*****rollingeyes***** 

Wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning---again? 

Offline Concerned

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 06:06:52 pm »
When the unemployment rate was anywhere from 5% to 7%, Trump claimed the real numbers were actually much higher than that (40+% in fact), that the BLS unemployment numbers were “fake”, “phony”, “totally fiction”, a “hoax”, and that “nobody has jobs”, but now that he’s President and the numbers are even lower, he accepts “those numbers very proudly”.  The man is shameless, I’ll grant him that.

The current numbers are actually good as they were (relatively) when Trump criticized them.  Today, I do think we’re seeing continued benefit from Trump’s deregulation and anticipation of his tax policy on the economy.  But as is often the case with Trump, his past lies/falsehoods/exaggerations/misleading statements on any given subject, take away from today’s good news message (at least for some of us who value consistency and hate hypocrisy). 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/03/10/19-times-trump-called-the-jobs-numbers-fake-before-they-made-him-look-good/?utm_term=.4348525b6544
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 06:10:44 pm by Concerned »
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017, 06:16:39 pm »
The media expected this, right?

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 06:34:59 pm »
When the unemployment rate was anywhere from 5% to 7%, Trump claimed the real numbers were actually much higher than that (40+% in fact), that the BLS unemployment numbers were “fake”, “phony”, “totally fiction”, a “hoax”, and that “nobody has jobs”, but now that he’s President and the numbers are even lower, he accepts “those numbers very proudly”.  The man is shameless, I’ll grant him that.

The current numbers are actually good as they were (relatively) when Trump criticized them.  Today, I do think we’re seeing continued benefit from Trump’s deregulation and anticipation of his tax policy on the economy.  But as is often the case with Trump, his past lies/falsehoods/exaggerations/misleading statements on any given subject, take away from today’s good news message (at least for some of us who value consistency and hate hypocrisy). 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/03/10/19-times-trump-called-the-jobs-numbers-fake-before-they-made-him-look-good/?utm_term=.4348525b6544

To be fair it's not just Trump. Look at how many Democrats said the same during Bush's and then the opposite during Obama's Presidency.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2017, 07:28:55 pm »
*****rollingeyes***** 

Wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning---again?

No, I'm in a perfectly fine mood.  A little tired cause I just got home from a little 3 hour road trip.  How are you?

What did I say above that was incorrect?  Trump *did* complain in the past about the jobs numbers being bogus, and I agree, they are.  So, shouldn't he be tasking his Labor Secretary to fix them?  Maybe he's done it already and I hadn't heard.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2017, 12:06:14 am »
So nobody's getting fired right now. That's great news.

But it still doesn't help those who are unemployed, underemployed, and shut out of good-paying work because of an imaginary "skills gap" that keeps the pool of good-paying careers out of reach.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024