Author Topic: Operation "Wooden Leg"  (Read 622 times)

Offline DemolitionMan

Operation "Wooden Leg"
« on: October 18, 2017, 05:21:47 am »
Wikipedia

After the 1982 Lebanon War, the PLO had been based in Tunisia. On September 25, 1985, during the Jewish holy day of Yom Kippur, gunmen from the PLO's elite Force 17 unit hijacked an Israeli yacht off the coast of Larnaca, Cyprus, and killed the three Israeli tourists on board. The Israelis were allowed to write down their final thoughts before being shot. The nature of the killings provoked widespread shock in Israel. The PLO claimed that the victims were Mossad agents monitoring Palestinian naval traffic out of Cyprus. The attack was a response for the capture and imprisonment of senior Force 17 commander Faisal Abu Sharah by the Israeli Navy two weeks earlier. Sharah had been sailing on the Opportunity, a small ship that regularly shuttled between Beirut and Larnaca, when it was stopped by an Israeli naval patrol boat with Mossad agents on board. Sharah was arrested, taken to Israel and interrogated. He was then tried and given a heavy prison sentence. Since then, the Israeli Navy and the Mossad had intercepted several other vessels and arrested passengers suspected of terrorist activity.[1][2]

The Israeli cabinet and the Israeli Air Force desired immediate retaliation, and chose the Tunis headquarters of the PLO as their target. Intelligence supplied to Israel by Jonathan Pollard on the Tunisian and Libyan air defense systems greatly facilitated the raid.[3] Following the incident, the Arab press had published numerous warnings of Israeli retaliation. Many of the stories were planted by LAP[disambiguation needed], the Mossad's department of psychological warfare.[1]

On the eve of the attack, Tunisia expressed concern to the United States that it may be attacked by Israel. However, the United States, according to a high-ranking Tunisian official, assured Tunisia there was no reason to worry.[4]

Operation[edit]
The strike was carried out by eight F-15 Eagles. At 07:00 on October 1, the aircraft took off from Tel Nof Airbase. A Boeing 707 heavily modified for refueling operations refueled the F-15s in mid-flight over the Mediterranean Sea in order to allow the operation to be executed over such a distance. The Israeli Navy stationed a helicopter-carrying vessel near Malta to recover downed pilots, but these were never needed. The route was designed to avoid detection by Egyptian and Libyan radars, and United States Navy vessels patrolling the Mediterranean. IAF commander Amos Lapidot saw little chance of resistance from the Tunisian Air Force or from Tunisian air defenses, but believed that on such a long flight, technical problems could arise.[5]

The F-15s flew low over the shore, and fired precision-guided munitions on the PLO headquarters, a cluster of sand-colored buildings along the seaside. The planes attacked the southern location first, so that the northern wind would not pull smoke over the northern targets.[6] The attack lasted for six minutes, after which the F-15s flew back to Israel, refueled again by the Boeing 707.

The PLO headquarters was completely destroyed, although Yasser Arafat, the head of the organization, was not there at the time and escaped unharmed. Israel claimed that some 60 PLO members were killed, including several leaders of Force 17, and several of Arafat's bodyguards. In addition, the operation resulted in casualties among civilian bystanders.[4] According to other sources, 56 Palestinians and 15 Tunisians were killed and about 100 wounded.[7] Hospital sources put the final count at 47 dead and 65 wounded.[8]

Because the attack was conducted so far from Israel, Tunisian sources believed that attack must have been known by the United States, if not actually involving American collaboration.[4]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Wooden_Leg
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Offline RoosGirl

Re: Operation "Wooden Leg"
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 05:23:01 am »
I once knew a man with a wooden leg named Smith.

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 05:29:57 am »
It proved that the PLO could not hide.
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 05:32:29 am »
I once knew a man with a wooden leg named Smith.

What was his other leg called?

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 05:37:48 am »

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 05:44:02 am »
888high58888

I watched Mary Poppins too in my yout.