Author Topic: Trump on calling families of fallen troops: 'Ask General Kelly' if Obama called when his son died  (Read 2265 times)

Offline aligncare

That's fine, I understand your reasoning.  I disagree with it, but I understand it.  What does it have to do with this story?  Who was attacking Trump for his lack of "care" for service members?

Okay, look, if we chalk up what I wrote to, this is me just having a few laughs here, can I then be allowed to stray off topic? ...or even hijack the thread without comment from you?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Okay, look, if we chalk up what I wrote to, this is me just having a few laughs here, can I then be allowed to stray off topic? ...or even hijack the thread without comment from you?

Without comment?  What's the fun in that?

Offline aligncare

Trump isn't bragging.  He just found something else to polarize the American populace.  I find it difficult to believe that George W. Bush did not call the families of the fallen.  Methinks President Trump is full of soup.

Pres. Trump was wrong for not drawing that distinction with Bush. W was a patriot and I’m sure must have suffered the pangs of doubt when confronted by the decision to send men into battle, and self-doubt when they came back wounded. On a human level and as their president I’m sure he cared very much for those who sacrificed in service to country.

Offline RoosGirl

Only if it's funny, and that sir, was not funny.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
You are correct. Trump is full of soup! (I am being polite here).  Obama and Bill Clinton may or may not have called the parents of the fallen.  George W. Bush did the right thing by contacting the families of the fallen.

I honestly don't know what Trump said about other presidents but it would be totally uncharacteristic of George W. Bush not to contact the families of the fallen.  Good guy.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
I honestly don't know what Trump said about other presidents but it would be totally uncharacteristic of George W. Bush not to contact the families of the fallen.  Good guy.

Found this in a USA story:

" President George W. Bush met personally with more than 450 families of service members who died in the Iraq and Afghanistan wars, and wrote to more than 4,000 of them, according to newspaper accounts at the time."
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

The Obamas hosted John Kelly's family at the White House 6 months after their son died
http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,286330.0.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline berdie

He said it to try to make himself look good. imho.

Offline RoosGirl

The Obamas hosted John Kelly's family at the White House 6 months after their son died
http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,286330.0.html

Like I said before, history can be a bitch.

Offline corbe

I am so tired of this stale bread and worn out circuses President Trump provides for our daily amusement, sure glad the NBA season starts tonight.

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
I am so tired of this stale bread and worn out circuses President Trump provides for our daily amusement, sure glad the NBA season starts tonight.

Not if you're a Gordon Hayward fan.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline DiogenesLamp

Trump’s claim that Obama ‘didn’t make calls’ to families of the fallen

From our perusal of news reports and news databases, we could not find any contemporaneous evidence that Obama spoke about such calls or that the White House announced he had called families.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2017/10/16/trumps-claim-that-obama-didnt-make-calls-to-families-of-the-fallen/?utm_term=.5a86e7b754a5
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline dfwgator