Author Topic: NJ: Judge refuses to throw out case against Sen. Bob Menendez  (Read 2325 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

NJ: Judge refuses to throw out case against Sen. Bob Menendez
« on: October 16, 2017, 07:03:14 pm »
Judge refuses to throw out case against Sen. Bob Menendez
CBS News, Oct 16, 2017, Associated Press

The judge at Sen. Bob Menendez's corruption trial refused to throw out any of the charges against the New Jersey Democrat on Monday in light of a U.S. Supreme Court ruling narrowing the definition of bribery.

The decision by U.S. District Judge Williams Walls was a major defeat for Menendez and a huge victory for prosecutors, who warned that dismissing the charges would torpedo nearly all other bribery cases and open the door wide to graft.

Walls rejected defense lawyers' arguments that the allegations against Menendez didn't meet the new, narrower definition of bribery under a 2016 Supreme Court ruling that reversed the conviction of Republican former Gov. Bob McDonnell of Virginia.

More: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/judge-refuses-to-throw-out-case-against-sen-bob-menendez/
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 10:54:18 pm by mystery-ak »

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Re: Judge refuses to throw out case against Sen. Bob Menendez
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 07:03:28 pm »
Excellent!

Offline Concerned

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 07:51:34 pm »
I think Menendez is guilty as sin, but proving corrupt intent is difficult.  I'll be shocked if he's found guilty of the more serious charges.
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 07:56:16 pm »
Whoa!  Friday's story was the Judge was going to throw almost all the charges out, and Menendez was humming "Amazing Grace" in the elevator leaving the courthouse.  Wha hoppen?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 08:04:10 pm »
FTA, from a hopeful Politico just yesterday:
U.S. District Judge William Walls stunned federal prosecutors last week when he expressed doubts over whether the Justice Department’s bribery charges against Menendez should move forward in light of the Supreme Court’s 2016 decision throwing out the conviction of former Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell. That ruling impacted the legal definition of bribery, including the “string of benefits” theory used by prosecutors to charge Menendez.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/10/15/menendez-faces-critical-moment-in-bribery-trial-243797?cmpid=sf
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 10:44:00 pm »
Well, honestly even if he's acquitted he's not going to be reelected.

My 2cents.

My dream would be to get a republican in his seat. Supposedly the latest on the election has NJ as a purple state.    8889whatkitty
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 11:15:07 pm »

My 2cents.

My dream would be to get a republican in his seat. Supposedly the latest on the election has NJ as a purple state.    8889whatkitty

I luvs you, dear heart....
I will NOT comply.

Offline Concerned

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2017, 11:18:42 pm »

My 2cents.

I live in NJ.  As much as I’d love for NJ to suddenly turn purple, there’s not much evidence that I’ve seen here at ground zero.  Trump lost the state less than a year ago 42% to 55%.   The current Republican Governor had a 15% approval rating this summer (I think many New Jersians have buyer’s remorse over that).  The Democrat is leading the Republican in this fall’s Governor’s race by about 17 points (49% to 32%).  I’d be stunned if the Republicans could somehow take Menendez’s seat in the 2018 election, but I’d certainly love it if they could.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2017, 11:36:58 pm »
I live in NJ.  As much as I’d love for NJ to suddenly turn purple, there’s not much evidence that I’ve seen here at ground zero.  Trump lost the state less than a year ago 42% to 55%.   The current Republican Governor had a 15% approval rating this summer (I think many New Jersians have buyer’s remorse over that).  The Democrat is leading the Republican in this fall’s Governor’s race by about 17 points (49% to 32%).  I’d be stunned if the Republicans could somehow take Menendez’s seat in the 2018 election, but I’d certainly love it if they could.

I live in NJ too. The last meeting of our local Republicans ladies club the chair was saying she thought the state would go purple. I'm going to another meeting on Wednesday night to see the next gubernatorial debate live.

I'd love it if Menendez was gone and same with my congresswoman. Not a fan. Nice lady but I just don't care for her politics. Sigh.
@Concerned
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 11:37:29 pm by Freya »

Offline Concerned

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2017, 11:53:40 pm »
I live in NJ too. The last meeting of our local Republicans ladies club the chair was saying she thought the state would go purple. I'm going to another meeting on Wednesday night to see the next gubernatorial debate live.

I'd love it if Menendez was gone and same with my congresswoman. Not a fan. Nice lady but I just don't care for her politics. Sigh.
@Concerned

@Freya

If, on Wednesday, the chair of that local Republicans ladies club is willing to share what makes her say that the state would go purple, I'd love to hear it because she's obviously seeing something that I'm not seeing here in South Jersey.  Maybe there is hope for NJ after all.  Thanks.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2017, 11:59:15 pm »
@Freya

If, on Wednesday, the chair of that local Republicans ladies club is willing to share what makes her say that the state would go purple, I'd love to hear it because she's obviously seeing something that I'm not seeing here in South Jersey.  Maybe there is hope for NJ after all.  Thanks.

I'll ask her. It's a fund raiser for the guy running for local assembly and the guy running for mayor. Brand new restaurant. Looking forward to seeing that too.