Author Topic: DUMB: MAGA-Hatted Trump Supporters Shout Down Leftist Speaker At California College  (Read 924 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
By Ben Shapiro
http://www.dailywire.com/news/22301/dumb-maga-hatted-trump-supporters-shout-down-ben-shapiro

Snowflakes aren’t just on the Left.

A few months back, alt-right and alt-lite snowflakes descended on a production of Julius Caesar in
Central Park that depicted the eponymous assassinated dictator as Donald Trump; they proclaimed
that such speech amounted to violence, and therefore had to be shut down. Last week, Trump
supporters in Whittier, California did the same thing to radical leftist California Attorney General
Xavier Becerra and Assembly Leader Ian Calderon . . .

. . . This is stupidity of the highest order, and demonstrates that lack of commitment to the First
Amendment unfortunately crosses party lines. But we already knew that: polls show that 22% of
Republicans said that it was fine to silence a speaker who says “offensive and hurtful things.”

This is why it’s important for conservatives not only to demonstrate their bona fides with regard to
commitment to free speech against violent groups like Antifa, but against supposed conservatives
who don’t want to allow leftists to speak . . . Opposing someone’s political viewpoint on a public
campus doesn’t give you the right to shut them down.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
I'm not for anyone getting shouted down while giving speech no matter how much I hate it.

The reason is self-evident. You may think you're really cool doing something like this, but it can be done to you just as easily. Then no one has any free speech.
The Republic is lost.

Offline dfwgator

They could have been Leftist plants.

Offline EasyAce

I'm not for anyone getting shouted down while giving speech no matter how much I hate it.

The reason is self-evident. You may think you're really cool doing something like this, but it can be done to you just as easily. Then no one has any free speech.
That's a lot of what the late Nat Hentoff argued in this book:

Censorship---throughout this sweet land of liberty---remains the strongest drive in human nature,
with sex a weak second. In that respect, men and women, white and of color, liberals and [conservatives],
are brothers and sisters under the skin.

---Nat Hentoff, from that book's prologue.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
It could also be a case of "how do you like it done to you?" Because "conservative" or "right-wing" speakers are getting shouted down in California with impunity apparently.

Offline EasyAce

It could also be a case of "how do you like it done to you?"
Some would that stooping down to their level.

Offline goatprairie

It could also be a case of "how do you like it done to you?" Because "conservative" or "right-wing" speakers are getting shouted down in California with impunity apparently.
Two wrongs don't make a right.

Offline TomSea

Yes, "two wrongs don't make a right", from what I understand, some "conservative" speakers are being cancelled before they can even take the stage and make a speech. There is your right to free speech.

Offline TomSea

Coulter and it might be Ben Shapiro too, had speeches cancelled.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Yes, "two wrongs don't make a right", from what I understand, some "conservative" speakers are being cancelled before they can even take the stage and make a speech. There is your right to free speech.

Yep, and that is wrong.

Offline goatprairie

So you think it's alright to go to some liberal speech and shout down the speaker?

Offline Concerned

It’s not correct when the Left does it and it’s not correct when the Right does it.  Obviously (and sadly), there are hypocrites on both sides who think it’s OK (or make excuses) when their side does it.   9999hair out0000
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.