Author Topic: The Colossus of Rhodes: Enigmatic Wonder of the Ancient World  (Read 1064 times)

Offline DemolitionMan

The Colossus of Rhodes: Enigmatic Wonder of the Ancient World
« on: October 16, 2017, 09:51:19 am »
by writer873

The Colossus of Rhodes was an enormous statue depicting the city's patron god, Helios (the god of the sun), and stood in Mandraki Harbour. Though it stood for little more than 50 years fully intact, its grand size and imposing presence at the coastal entrance of Rhodes made it an undeniable candidate as one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World. It is also the wonder about which the least is entirely known.Rhodes was a Greek island that was situated at an intersection of two ancient sea-trade routes, southwest of Asia Minor and near Egypt. When Alexander the Great died unexpectedly in 323 BCE, the administration of his empire and its future were uncertain. Eventually, three of his generals took control and, as a result of several wars, divided the empire into three regions. Rhodes sided with one general, Ptolemy, who eventually controlled Egypt. Together, they forged a fruitful relationship, as well as control of trade in the eastern Mediterranean. One of the other generals, Antigonus, became riled at this, and tried to convince Rhodes to side with him. Rhodes, of course, balked at this. Antigonus then called on his son Demetrius to invade Rhodes in 305 BCE. Despite an army of 40,000 men and 200 warships, Demetrius was unable to break through Rhodes' impressive defenses and the relief troops that Ptolemy had sent in.As a result of this decisive victory, it was determined that a commemorative statue be erected to honor Helios, the patron god of Rhodes. This would prove rather uncomplicated for Rhodes, as Demetrius had left behind all of the equipment he and his army had used in his invasion attempts, and thus the Rhodians were able to finance the construction of the statue with the sale

https://www.ancient.eu/article/125/the-colossus-of-rhodes-enigmatic-wonder-of-the-anc/
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Offline DemolitionMan

Re: The Colossus of Rhodes: Enigmatic Wonder of the Ancient World
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 09:56:31 am »

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTjfWwd6h9s

The Colossus of Rhodes

The Colossus of Rhodes is familiar to almost everyone. Its history begins with the siege of Demetrios Poliorketes, successor of Alexander the Great, in 305 BC. When Demetrios was defeated, he abandoned all his siege machinery on Rhodes. The Rhodians decided to express their pride by building a triumphal statue of their favourite god, Helios.
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 10:00:31 am »
If I had the ability to time travel, I would like to have seen the Library at Alexandria and the Colossus of Rhodes.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 10:06:37 am »
I've been to Rome on a holiday. It was lovely. Ruins by day. Food by night and my first espresso in a cafe facing the Spanish steps.

The Vatican was incredible too.. the art...I really enjoyed it.

I'd love to see Greek ruins but I don't think I can do that, I wouldn't feel  safe at the moment.

And of course, no money to do that kind of travel anymore.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 01:36:50 pm »
If I had the ability to time travel, I would like to have seen the Library at Alexandria and the Colossus of Rhodes.

If I could jump around in time, I think I'd try to prevent the events that destroyed the Library.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 01:57:26 am »
If I could jump around in time, I think I'd try to prevent the events that destroyed the Library.

So much knowledge was destroyed. It took many centuries to re-discover the information it contained.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 02:42:15 am »
So much knowledge was destroyed. It took many centuries to re-discover the information it contained.

It was all on scrolls. Makes you wonder. When we were in college we had microfilm, microfiche, card catalogs, and stacks of books. And of course, newspapers.

Now there's the internet, kindles, will libraries go extrinct?

I mean, slightly off topic, but have you been to a Barnes and Noble lately? They sell toys with books now to keep up sales, not to mention coffee..

My mom's new car doesn't even have a CD player. They aren't in cars anymore - it's all Bluetooth from your phone to hear your music
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 02:44:26 am by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 09:01:46 am »
It was all on scrolls. Makes you wonder. When we were in college we had microfilm, microfiche, card catalogs, and stacks of books. And of course, newspapers.

Now there's the internet, kindles, will libraries go extrinct?

I mean, slightly off topic, but have you been to a Barnes and Noble lately? They sell toys with books now to keep up sales, not to mention coffee..

My mom's new car doesn't even have a CD player. They aren't in cars anymore - it's all Bluetooth from your phone to hear your music

I still go to the library. Just imagine if the Library of Alexandria surived. We would be in Alpha Centauri by now.