Author Topic: GOP Congressman Warns U.S. Insolvency Could 'Cost Millions of American Lives'  (Read 4192 times)

Offline endicom

PJ Media
Nicholas Ballasy
Oct. 15, 2017

WASHINGTON – Rep. Mo Brooks (R-Ala.) said any member of Congress who refuses to figure out ways to reduce federal spending and move closer to a balanced budget is “betraying their country and betraying the future of our kids and grandkids.”

The U.S. national debt recently surpassed $20 trillion.

“Everyone who refuses to examine this issue and come up with constructive ways to cut federal government spending so we can balance our budget and minimize our risk of insolvency and bankruptcy, everyone who refuses to do that is betraying their country and betraying the future of our kids and grandkids because they're going to suffer enormously from the burden that we're placing on those who have no right to vote because they're not old enough or aren’t even alive yet,” Brooks said during an interview with PJM on Capitol Hill. “We're talking about America's future here.”

More... https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/2017/10/15/gop-congressman-warns-u-s-insolvency-could-cost-millions-of-american-lives/

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Senator Brooks couldn't be more right!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline endicom

Senator Brooks couldn't be more right!

The shame is that he must state what should be obvious.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
We have any serious bout of inflation or dollar trouble, a few percentage points rise in bonds will start taking a huge chunk out of our tax revenue. Imagine the military and social programs taking even a 20% cut.
The Republic is lost.

Offline KingsX

• Be yourself. No one can say you're doing it wrong.

WASHINGTON – Rep. Mo Brooks (R-Ala.) said any member of Congress who refuses to figure out ways to reduce federal spending and move closer to a balanced budget is “betraying their country and betraying the future of our kids and grandkids.”

I assume Rep. Mo Brooks (R-Ala.) will NOT be voting in favor of the GOP's $1.5 trillion tax cut for the rich.

Offline KingsX

We have any serious bout of inflation or dollar trouble, a few percentage points rise in bonds will start taking a huge chunk out of our tax revenue. Imagine the military and social programs taking even a 20% cut.

The irony is.... for the past decade we have been at historically low inflation that will not last forever...
and when inflation returns to historic norms,  it will seem like "a serious bout of inflation."

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

I assume Rep. Mo Brooks (R-Ala.) will NOT be voting in favor of the GOP's $1.5 trillion tax cut for the rich.

Begone troll!  You are beginning to bore the HELL out of me!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 02:16:33 am by Bigun »

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline KingsX

Begone troll!  You are beginning to bore the HELL out of me!

It's not boredom that bothers you...
it's you beginning to see I am right.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

It's not boredom that bothers you...
it's you beginning to see I am right.

:mauslaff: :mauslaff: :mauslaff:

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline KingsX

I remember my first new car...  I financed it via GM at a 13% interest rate.

13% was a good auto loan rate at the time.  But today it would cause a heart attack.

Btw... Reagan was in the White House.

Offline aligncare

You’ve got to come up with a new way to make your argument. Every time taxes are lowered more money comes in to the treasury, more higher paying jobs are created. Kennedy did it, Reagan did it, governors do it all the time. Saddling business with the world’s 4th highest corporate tax rate is counterproductive, it’s a bottle neck that’s keeping an estimated $3 trillion off shore.

High tax rates coupled with higher labor costs are resulting in lower earnings, making it difficult for the US to compete in world markets. And what’s worse is big government wastes what taxes they do force from us. You know, when I went in to business I didn’t know that meant it came with a partner in Washington DC. It’s immoral.

Any move to simplify and lower taxes should be welcomed.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 03:32:33 am by aligncare »

Offline KingsX

You’ve got to come up with a new way to make your argument.

Any move to simplify and lower taxes should be welcomed.

You don't seem to "get it.'  A lot of people with lower incomes, single seniors and single parents will see their taxes INCREASE under the GOP's tax cuts for the rich.  I have posted details about that over and over and over again. But all posters here seem to care about are rich oligarchs who will have their taxes cut by the tens of thousands... maybe you are one of them.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 03:33:26 am by KingsX »

Offline Frank Cannon

13% was a good auto loan rate at the time.  But today it would cause a heart attack.

Just judging by your posting style and your overall demeanor, I can tell exactly what car you payed 13% vigorish on.....

Offline dfwgator

F OUR GRANDCHILDREN.....LET'S PARTY!

Offline aligncare

You don't seem to "get it.'  A lot of people with lower incomes, single seniors and single parents will see their taxes INCREASE under the GOP's tax cuts for the rich.  I have posted details about that over and over and over again. But all posters here seem to care about are rich oligarchs who will have their taxes cut by the tens of thousands... maybe you are one of them.

It’s obvious we come at this from opposing philosophical points of view. I think it would be pointless to try to reconcile that here.

So, I’ll leave you with this. The biggest beneficiaries of corporate tax reductions are middle class workers, and it’s about time.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 03:42:10 am by aligncare »

Offline KingsX

Just judging by your posting style and your overall demeanor, I can tell exactly what car you payed 13% vigorish on.....

No, it was a 1981 Monte Carlo.  Paid it off in four years and drove it for twelve years.  Great car.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 03:48:37 am by KingsX »

Offline Frank Cannon

No, it was a 1981 Monte Carlo.  Paid it off in four years and drove it for twelve years.  Great car.

You'd have to drive it for 12 years if you payed 13% over list. Boy I'll bet you felt like an ass when Reaganomics dropped GMAC financing to 6.9% in '86? Damn Republicans!

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

You'd have to drive it for 12 years if you payed 13% over list. Boy I'll bet you felt like an ass when Reaganomics dropped GMAC financing to 6.9% in '86? Damn Republicans!

13% over list?  Only if it was paid off in (a little over) one year at 13% interest.  Over four years we're looking at more like 40%.

Oh, wait, it was a Monte.  Make that 400%, if you replace "list" with "worth".
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline KingsX

I bought my second new car in 1993,  a Honda Accord
and drove it until 2004 when I bought my third new car,
a Honda Civic that I am still driving now.  Both of those
interest rates were close to zero. I paid off my Civic the
same year I paid off my house after 3 years of a 15 year
mortgage... which was the same year I retired early from
my corporate job of 26 years with a pension, 401K and
free health insurance.  I think I did well for a single mom,
thanks to God's blessings.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 07:35:48 am by KingsX »

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

Already down 10% from the Carter 23% rates!  YOU are a clown who INSISTS on making an ASS out of himself continually!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline KingsX

Already down 10% from the Carter 23% rates!  YOU are a clown who INSISTS on making an ASS out of himself continually!

Is that what you usually do on forums... post personal attacks against other posters ??

I've noticed most of the posters here who continually stalk and personally  attack me because they don't like my informed opinion... have nothing of value or interest to post themselves.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

Is that what you usually do on forums... post personal attacks against other posters ??

I've noticed most of the posters here who continually stalk and personally  attack me because they don't like my informed opinion... have nothing of value or interest to post themselves.

No! I generally post the truth as I see it on a variety of subjects just as I did on this one!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline KingsX

People who imitate degenerate sitcoms where humor is interpreted as whoever hurls the wittiest personal insult wins the booby prize...  should make better use of their time and effort.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision

You don't seem to "get it.'  A lot of people with lower incomes, single seniors and single parents will see their taxes INCREASE
Considering most pay nothing now and in fact get more in tax credits than they pay in taxes, that is a GOOD THING. More people need to pay their fair share if we are going to dig ourselves out of the debt mess we have made ourselves.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Frank Cannon

I bought my second new car in 1993,  a Honda Accord
and drove it until 2004 when I bought my third new car,
a Honda Civic that I am still driving now.  Both of those
interest rates were close to zero. I paid off my Civic the
same year I paid off my house after 3 years of a 15 year
mortgage... which was the same year I retired early from
my corporate job of 26 years with a pension, 401K and
free health insurance.  I think I did well for a single mom,
thanks to God's blessings.

How many Americans did you single handedly throw into poverty and onto welfare by buying that '93 shitbox....I mean Honda?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 11:12:58 pm by Frank Cannon »