Author Topic: pop-up videos  (Read 3394 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
pop-up videos
« on: October 15, 2017, 06:06:19 pm »
I visit a lot of sites and I am tired of these pop-up videos. Is there a way to stop it and still be able to watch them if I want.

I am on FF if that makes a dif
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: pop-up videos
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 06:20:43 pm »
I visit a lot of sites and I am tired of these pop-up videos. Is there a way to stop it and still be able to watch them if I want.

I use the Flashblocker plug-in, but many sites still get around it.  It;s irritating as all get-out.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 06:21:27 pm »
They drive me crazy too.  And I noticed the new thing is that if you scroll by a video it "follows" you in the bottom right corner.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 06:23:53 pm »

Ghostery and ABP adblock.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 06:38:44 pm »
Ghostery and ABP adblock.

I have them both.  No help.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2017, 07:00:25 pm »

Ghostery or NoScript will do it - But they will generally stop ALL script, and you wont be able to see much of anything... Sometimes, not even the text. For me that's fine (I use NoScript)... any site that has all that blinky crap, I don't need to see...

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2017, 07:19:51 pm »
Type this where you would normally put a URL:

about:preferences#content

You can block popups in general, but then (temporarily?) allow certain sites.

I block popups, run Adblock Plus and NoScript add-ons, and use an add-on call Video Download Helper to download videos I actually want to watch.

My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2017, 07:51:41 pm »
Type this where you would normally put a URL:

about:preferences#content

You can block popups in general, but then (temporarily?) allow certain sites.

I block popups, run Adblock Plus and NoScript add-ons, and use an add-on call Video Download Helper to download videos I actually want to watch.

Point of order: about:preferences#content has been deprecated. It is now about:preferences#privacy.

For normal people, like everyone here except us, that'd be :
'alt' to reveal the Standard tool bar...
Poke 'Tools' => 'Options'. In the 'Options' dialog, in the sidebar, poke 'Security and Privacy'.

It is NoScript that kills the buggers. Once I 'Temporarily allow this page'. there they are.
I would imagine Ad Block could be set to custom block them, but that would be laborious unless they tend to come from only a few sites/vendors... never really looked into it.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 07:52:37 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2017, 08:59:56 pm »
If you go the The Hill or Washington Examiner for example and click an article you will get the pop-video that goes with it...and Roos is right..when you scroll down the video scrolls to.. 9999hair out0000
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Online roamer_1

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2017, 09:06:43 pm »
If you go the The Hill or Washington Examiner for example and click an article you will get the pop-video that goes with it...and Roos is right..when you scroll down the video scrolls to.. 9999hair out0000

I do not... But then, I did not click many articles.
Ad Block Plus
NoScript.

I suspect Ad Block Plus is doing the job, as I am getting no NoScript dialog...

Online roamer_1

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2017, 09:07:51 pm »

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2017, 09:18:12 pm »
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/adblock-plus/

Thanks I added ADP and it works....if I want to see the pop-up I can disable the site or just page...exactly what I was looking for...
Support the USO

Online roamer_1

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2017, 09:23:42 pm »
Thanks I added ADP and it works....if I want to see the pop-up I can disable the site or just page...exactly what I was looking for...

Glad to help... Noscript is even more bulletproof... But it takes a while to get the hang of it...

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2017, 09:32:09 pm »

You can also hide individual images by right clicking on them and choosing ABP: Block image.  Note that by default it blocks all images from that server in the same folder, so if you just want to hide a specific image you have to select that checkbox instead.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2017, 03:19:34 pm »
Have you tried setting media.autoplay.enabled to False? That should help for HTML5 objects. For Flash I have the plugin set to "ask to activate"...

Edit> So then the big Play button may not work but I can usually start by clicking twice on the play/pause button in the status bar...
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 03:23:36 pm by Snarknado »
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2017, 03:29:19 pm »
Have you tried setting media.autoplay.enabled to False? That should help for HTML5 objects. For Flash I have the plugin set to "ask to activate"...

Edit> So then the big Play button may not work but I can usually start by clicking twice on the play/pause button in the status bar...

That's funny that you should post that...I just did it and that worked

Type “about:config” into the address bar, click through the warning and search for “autoplay” options—double-click on media.autoplay.embed and the value changes to false.

and I did this tpp

For Flash I have the plugin set to "ask to activate"...
Support the USO

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2017, 02:24:08 pm »
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Online roamer_1

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2017, 07:28:45 pm »
Thanks for the link Roamer.

Gonna give it a try.

:beer:

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2017, 08:01:29 pm »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2017, 08:15:26 pm »

That's actually a pretty accurate assessment of some windows opening on my Firefox....
I will NOT comply.