Author Topic: 'Dozens of teams use it:' Inside pro sports' modern-day pickle juice phenomenon  (Read 2785 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
'Dozens of teams use it:' Inside pro sports' modern-day pickle juice phenomenon
Cody Benjamin

When New Jersey Devils center Blake Coleman was spotted downing pickle juice as he stood in the penalty box at a recent NHL game, the sight wasn't shocking save for the fact he was gulping it straight from a pickle jar.

Pickle brine, or the juice boasting a high concentration of sodium, has long had its place on the ice, field and court. Coleman, for one, has been touting the simple concoction as "the one thing that really works" in preventing cramps -- a sentiment that has been shared by athletes for years. Marathoners have come to quench their thirst with it. And the history books will forever deem a 2000 NFL playoff game between the Dallas Cowboys and Philadelphia Eagles as the "Pickle Juice Game," in which the Eagles claimed to combat record temperatures by drinking -- you guessed it -- pickle juice. Some players even went on to say they would celebrate a potential Super Bowl win with pickle jars rather than champagne bottles.

Continued at: https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/dozens-of-teams-use-it-inside-pro-sports-modern-day-pickle-juice-phenomenon/

Offline dfwgator

The Pickle Juice game between the Cowboys and Eagles was not a playoff game.

Offline RoosGirl

I guess it's more pleasant than having a salt lick out there for them.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

I dunno.  Could be mildly amusing.

Offline ConstitutionRose

From the article it sounds like the acid, which triggers some kind of neurological reaction, rather than the salt, which provides the benefit.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline RoosGirl

From the article it sounds like the acid, which triggers some kind of neurological reaction, rather than the salt, which provides the benefit.

Oh, that's interesting.  I read the part about the high concentration of sodium and stopped reading. 

Offline Frank Cannon

This is just a poor mans Gatoraide or Pediasure.

Offline RoosGirl

This is just a poor mans Gatoraide or Pediasure.

I'd much rather drink dill pickle juice than Gatoraide.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
The Pickle Juice game between the Cowboys and Eagles was not a playoff game.

Thanks. I did not know.

Anybody:

So, it's any dill pickle juice in a jar or is brine special.

At the big lots store, I got some sausages in brine from Germany and I think often, pickles coming from Israel will say packed in brine.

Maybe I can figure this out myself.

Offline Frank Cannon

I'd much rather drink dill pickle juice than Gatoraide.

And that is why you are Satan. Gatoraide is one of the finest beverages ever created......by a slack jawed southern university.

Offline RoosGirl

Thanks. I did not know.

Anybody:

So, it's any dill pickle juice in a jar or is brine special.

At the big lots store, I got some sausages in brine from Germany and I think often, pickles coming from Israel will say packed in brine.

Maybe I can figure this out myself.

I've taken to making my own pickles lately.  Brine is traditionally a salt and water mixture.  Pickles made by fermenting cucumbers in brine are "sour pickles", not dill pickles, and don't have the vinegar content that dill pickles do.  I make sour pickles, but then when they are done fermenting I add vinegar because we like that flavor better than the sour pickles.

Offline RoosGirl

And that is why you are Satan. Gatoraide is one of the finest beverages ever created......by a slack jawed southern university.

Well, we can agree on two out of three.

Offline Frank Cannon

Well, we can agree on two out of three.

True. UF isn't exactly slack jawed. More like charmingly slow.

Offline RoosGirl

True. UF isn't exactly slack jawed. More like charmingly slow.

I'll give you a hint.  I didn't go to FSU either, so you're going to have to try harder to insult my alma mater.

Offline Frank Cannon

I'll give you a hint.  I didn't go to FSU either, so you're going to have to try harder to insult my alma mater.

I wasn't trying to insult your school. I was intimating that you liking Gatoraide was one of the two things we agreed with. That and you being Satan.

Offline RoosGirl

Offline RoosGirl

I have a picture of my son from when he was probably 3, after being outside with daddy working in the yard, with bright blue all around the outside of his mouth and all over his tongue from drinking that junk.  Hubby won't eat anything with mayo in it, including deviled eggs, but he'll drink that blue crap.  I blame it on whatever nastiness his mother cooked for him when he was little.    ^-^

Offline Frank Cannon

:smokin:

Never known you to be left speechless on any topic. I must be on a roll today.

Offline Frank Cannon

I blame it on whatever nastiness his mother cooked for him when he was little.    ^-^

They say men pick a wife similar to their mother. Does that mean you're a shitty cook too?

Offline RoosGirl

Never known you to be left speechless on any topic. I must be on a roll today.

God you're handsome in magenta.

Offline RoosGirl

They say men pick a wife similar to their mother. Does that mean you're a shitty cook too?

LOL  Probably.  Want to come for dinner?  I just put a beer can chicken on the grill to cook low and slow.  I brined the chicken (I would not recommend drinking this brine, but I would serve it up special for you) overnight in sweet tea and lemon.

Offline Frank Cannon

LOL  Probably.  Want to come for dinner?  I just put a beer can chicken on the grill to cook low and slow.  I brined the chicken (I would not recommend drinking this brine, but I would serve it up special for you) overnight in sweet tea and lemon.

I appreciate the offer but I like to relax when I eat dinner. I believe I would be too up tight dining with you worrying if my slice of chicken was the one rubbed down with rat poison.

Offline RoosGirl

I'm too much of a gentlewoman to invite someone into my home and then poison them.  Too much cleanup afterwards.

Offline Frank Cannon

I'm too much of a gentlewoman to invite someone into my home and then poison them.  Too much cleanup afterwards.

You Madam are a class act. I have an abandoned well on my property for easy clean-up after dinner parties.

Offline RoosGirl

You Madam are a class act. I have an abandoned well on my property for easy clean-up after dinner parties.

Filing that info away, right next to the Vaseline with SPF.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 06:37:22 pm by RoosGirl »