Author Topic: Trump hands Republicans a new ObamaCare problem  (Read 706 times)

Offline corbe

Trump hands Republicans a new ObamaCare problem
« on: October 14, 2017, 11:00:04 pm »
Trump hands Republicans a new ObamaCare problem

By Peter Sullivan and Alexander Bolton - 10/14/17 06:00 AM EDT

Key Republican members of Congress want to restore the ObamaCare payments, known as cost-sharing reductions (CSRs), that President Trump is ending, fearing the impact his move will have on the individual insurance market and their constituents. But there are obstacles ahead.

Still, even if Democrats grant concessions, there’s no guarantee a health-care deal can pass Congress. Conservatives warn the payments to insurers are corporate “bailouts,” a message echoed by Trump on Friday.

“The Democrats ObamaCare is imploding. Massive subsidy payments to their pet insurance companies has stopped,” Trump tweeted.

<..snip..>

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/355408-trump-hands-republicans-a-new-obamacare-problem
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline corbe

Re: Trump hands Republicans a new ObamaCare problem
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 11:07:19 pm »
Other moderate House Republicans, like Reps. Leonard Lance (R-N.J.) and Carlos Curbelo (R-Fla.), who both face tough reelection races, also called Friday for Congress to fund the payments. 

MY distant cousin, Curbelo has been a major disappointment, so far. I understand it's his district's demographics and that most importantly to him he must get re elected but I think he sold his soul awhile back, he idolizes Rubio also, another Political expedient guy, Floridians would know better than I.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline endicom

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 11:16:56 pm »
If the payment are permanent then no. If the payments are a bridge to market rates then yes. Just get it done.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 11:25:11 pm »
If the payment are permanent then no. If the payments are a bridge to market rates then yes. Just get it done.

No sir!  No way in hell!  The government needs to keep the hell out of the marketplace!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 04:19:50 pm »
No sir!  No way in hell!  The government needs to keep the hell out of the marketplace!

:thumbsup2:

Offline Concerned

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2017, 04:36:05 pm »
It definitely seems to me that Trump is content to blown things up and then expect someone else to clean up the mess.  He seems to forget that he ran on “repeal and replace”.    Did he have a viable plan for accomplishing that?  Apparently not.  He ran on “draining the swamp”, but the DC still seems pretty swampy to me.  He said Mexico would pay for the wall, but he wants Congress to appropriate billions to fund it. 

None of that represents leadership IMO.  It’s more like a child turning over the toy box and expecting the adult to come clean up the mess.   The President keeps saying we’re going to have “great healthcare”:  well.......when and how, Mr. President?   I guess his waiting for someone else to pick up the healthcare toys and to tell him when and how it's going to be “great”.
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2017, 07:41:52 pm »
It definitely seems to me that Trump is content to blown things up and then expect someone else to clean up the mess.  He seems to forget that he ran on “repeal and replace”.    Did he have a viable plan for accomplishing that?  Apparently not.  He ran on “draining the swamp”, but the DC still seems pretty swampy to me.  He said Mexico would pay for the wall, but he wants Congress to appropriate billions to fund it. 

None of that represents leadership IMO.  It’s more like a child turning over the toy box and expecting the adult to come clean up the mess.   The President keeps saying we’re going to have “great healthcare”:  well.......when and how, Mr. President?   I guess his waiting for someone else to pick up the healthcare toys and to tell him when and how it's going to be “great”.

Trump has put the problem right back where it originated!  And properly so!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Concerned

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2017, 08:19:13 pm »
Trump has put the problem right back where it originated!  And properly so!

Right back where it was earlier this year and how’d that work out?  I’d rather see some Presidential leadership on solving the problem rather than just punting the ball back to Congress. Unfortunately demonstrating actual leadership means you might get your hands dirty and you might actually have to take responsibility for the problem, and I can’t see Donald doing that. JMO.
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2017, 08:21:52 pm »
Right back where it was earlier this year and how’d that work out?  I’d rather see some Presidential leadership on solving the problem rather than just punting the ball back to Congress. Unfortunately demonstrating actual leadership means you might get your hands dirty and you might actually have to take responsibility for the problem, and I can’t see Donald doing that. JMO.

Stopping the patently ILLEGAL payments to insurance companies previously being made shows GREAT leadership in my mind!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline KingsX

• Be yourself. No one can say you're doing it wrong.
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2017, 08:32:12 pm »

From an historical perspective,  Trump is doing a masterful job as the "Governor of Gutium" 
who drained a swamp to go under a wall to stealthy conquer an empire.

Offline DB

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2017, 09:08:09 pm »
Stopping the patently ILLEGAL payments to insurance companies previously being made shows GREAT leadership in my mind!

Obamacare is failing and will fail as a big government top down wealth redistribution scheme. It did nothing to lower healthcare costs, it only shifts them. Trump has handed the Democrats an excuse for its failure. They will scream it was doing fine until Trump messed with it and that he is to blame for its failure with "millions losing coverage" bla, bla, bla... The MSM will make the same claim.

There were only two choices for Republicans with Obamacare. Leave it alone letting it die under the Democrat banner or get rid of it returning the issue to the states. Obamacare is toxic to the core. You mess with it you own it. You can't fix it at the federal level.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2017, 09:12:47 pm »
Obamacare is failing and will fail as a big government top down wealth redistribution scheme. It did nothing to lower healthcare costs, it only shifts them. Trump has handed the Democrats an excuse for its failure. They will scream it was doing fine until Trump messed with it and that he is to blame for its failure with "millions losing coverage" bla, bla, bla... The MSM will make the same claim.

There were only two choices for Republicans with Obamacare. Leave it alone letting it die under the Democrat banner or get rid of it returning the issue to the states. Obamacare is toxic to the core. You mess with it you own it. You can't fix it at the federal level.

Obamacare was DESIGNED to fail!  The communists (aka Democrats) thought they had permanent control and when it failed the only alternative remaining would be single payer!

- J. R. R. Tolkien