Author Topic: America's Killer M1 Abrams Tank Now Has Its Own Shields  (Read 401 times)

Offline DemolitionMan

America's Killer M1 Abrams Tank Now Has Its Own Shields
« on: October 14, 2017, 09:20:54 pm »
Sebastien Roblin

On September 28, 2017 the U.S. Army announced that it would equip the M1A2 SEP V2 Abrams tanks of one of its armored brigades with Israeli-built Trophy Active Protection Systems (APS). Or to put it in plain speech: some of America’s 70-ton main battle tanks will now have radar-guided robotic shotguns that can shoot down incoming missiles.

The deployment of Trophy-equipped Abrams tanks was done as an “urgent operational order” to upgrade a specific unit. This unit will be deploying by 2020 to one of the armored brigades rotating for service in Europe, meant to reassure NATO allies wary of potential Russian armored incursions in the Baltics.The Trophy kits straps on a number of phased-array radar panels to a tank, providing 360 degree coverage. When the radars detect an incoming projectile, one of two Trophy launchers automatically swivels around and fires a shotgun spray of Explosively-Formed Penetrator pellets towards the rocket or missile as soon as its enters range. The blast is likely to detonate shaped-charge warheads before they impact the armor, or deflect them off course. This ‘hard kill’ defensive system can respond in a fraction of a second, and can even angle upwards to intercept attacks coming from above. While early models of Trophy were depleted after firing, later variants come with auto-loaders that could offer extended protection.

http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/americas-killer-m1-abrams-tank-now-has-its-own-shields-22720
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Offline DemolitionMan

Re: America's Killer M1 Abrams Tank Now Has Its Own Shields
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 09:23:00 pm »

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VrAUTP6rTg

The Trophy active protection system for combat vehicles has showed its efficiency during the Israeli military operation Protective Edge in the Gaza Strip. It's the first real test of Trophy during real combat operations and the Trophy system has intercepted five anti-tank missiles aimed at armored IDF vehicles in Gaza.
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome