Author Topic: California: Just Became The First State To Require Pet Stores To Sell Only Rescue Animals  (Read 1280 times)

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
California has become the first state to require pet stores to sell only rescue animals, after Gov. Jerry Brown signed a law on Friday.

Under the new legislation, all dogs, cats, and rabbits sold in pet stores must come from animal shelters or non-profit rescue organizations by 2019.

Any pet store owner who does not comply will be fined $500 for each animal in violation of the law.

The law will work to reduce the mass-breeding of pets in "puppy mills" and "kitten factories," where they often face abuse and unhealthy living conditions, supporter said.

Read more at: https://www.buzzfeed.com/juliareinstein/california-just-became-the-first-state-to-require-pet?utm_term=.fujVE1JpV#.tiwJ4EwnJ
The Republic is lost.

Offline dfwgator

Oceander

Rescue animals mean you may very well get to adopt a behavior problem as well as an already-grownup animal.

I see a booming trade in illegal “home” sales and imports.

Offline LadyLiberty

I can see the puppy mills setting up a separate rescue organization to do some "puppy laundering."

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I can see the puppy mills setting up a separate rescue organization to do some "puppy laundering."
Especially purebred puppies.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis