Author Topic: Unemployment claims fall to lowest level in 43 years, despite hurricanes  (Read 1031 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Unemployment claims fall to lowest level in 43 years, despite hurricanes
Washington Examiner, Oct 12, 2017, Joseph Lawler

The total number of laid-off workers receiving unemployment benefits fell to 1.89 million at the end of September, the Department of Labor reported Thursday, the lowest such mark in nearly 44 years.

And new claims for unemployment benefits dropped 15,000 to 243,000 in the first full week of October, according to the agency, as the job market bounces back from hurricane damage even faster than forecasters expected.

Low new jobless claims are a good sign. They indicate that layoffs are rare, and accordingly that job creation is strong.

More: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/unemployment-claims-fall-to-lowest-level-in-43-years-despite-hurricanes/article/2637266

Offline Applewood

Re: Unemployment claims fall to lowest level in 43 years, despite hurricanes
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 01:28:32 pm »
I still don't buy Department of Labor stats.  They've been fudged for years.  They were really disconnected from reality during 8 years of Obama. 

I go mall walking during the week and I see help wanted signs up in just about every store.  But then I realize the stores are looking for seasonal workers.  No full-time, permanent, gainful employment.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 01:35:15 pm »
I still don't buy Department of Labor stats.  They've been fudged for years.  They were really disconnected from reality during 8 years of Obama. 

I go mall walking during the week and I see help wanted signs up in just about every store.  But then I realize the stores are looking for seasonal workers.  No full-time, permanent, gainful employment.

The fact that "figures don't lie but liars sure can figure" pretty much covers it!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Texas Yellow Rose

• Native Texan
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 01:59:05 pm »
Unemployment claims fall to lowest level in 43 years, despite hurricanes
Washington Examiner, Oct 12, 2017, Joseph Lawler

From the article:  "Low new jobless claims are a good sign. They indicate that layoffs are rare, and accordingly that job creation is strong."

More: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/unemployment-claims-fall-to-lowest-level-in-43-years-despite-hurricanes/article/2637266

I bet it's not a good sign for the ones that fell off the unemployment rolls.  Also, we are 4-5 years into the effects of the Baby Boomers turning 65.  ====

Offline endicom

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 02:00:50 pm »
I still don't buy Department of Labor stats.

Even if accurate they capture just part of the picture. Nonetheless, a positive trend in the employment/unemployment stats is good.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2017, 02:08:34 pm »

Even if accurate they capture just part of the picture. Nonetheless, a positive trend in the employment/unemployment stats is good.

But we had "positive trends" during Obama's reign too. 

I know people who have not found permanent employment since the Bush era.  One of them used to point to these employment figures during Obama's reign and tell me how wonderful the economy was.  Finally, I told her, if the employment numbers are so  good, why are you still not working? 

No answer.