Author Topic: W78 Warhead  (Read 454 times)

Offline DemolitionMan

W78 Warhead
« on: October 14, 2017, 07:45:06 am »
The W78 thermonuclear warhead is the warhead used on most of the United States LGM-30G Minuteman III intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBMs), along with the MK-12A reentry vehicle which carried the warhead. Minuteman IIIs initially deployed with the older W62 warhead; the W78 was deployed starting in December 1979 onto 300 missiles, three warheads per missile. Declassified records indicate a total of 1,083 W78s were produced.

The W78 was designed at Los Alamos National Laboratory starting in 1974. The design is thought to combine the secondary (fusion) stage design of older ICBM warheads such as the W50 with a more modern primary stage (see Teller-Ulam design for more details).

The W78 has a publicly announced yield of 335–350 kilotons of TNT (kt).[1][2]

Dimensions of the W78 are unknown, but it fits within the MK-12A reentry vehicle, which is conically shaped, 21.3 inches in diameter at its base and 71.3 inches long. The W78 is estimated to weigh 700–800 pounds (317–363 kg).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W78
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Offline DemolitionMan

Re: W78 Warhead
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 07:48:10 am »

www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8n59S8j2C0

This is video of a Minuteman III ICBM Glory Trip with dummy Multiple, Independently Targeted Re-entry Vehicles(MIRV's) coming back into the atmosphere and impacting at the Kwajalein Test Range in the Marshall Islands.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 07:48:33 am by DemolitionMan »
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome