Author Topic: Nuclear depth bomb  (Read 620 times)

Offline DemolitionMan

Nuclear depth bomb
« on: October 14, 2017, 07:17:28 am »
A nuclear depth bomb is the nuclear equivalent of the conventional depth charge, and can be used in anti-submarine warfare for attacking submerged submarines. The British Royal Navy, Soviet Navy, and United States Navy had nuclear depth bombs in their arsenals at one point.

United States conducted the Swordfish test of the RUR-5 ASROC nuclear depth bomb off San Diego in 1962.
Due to the use of a nuclear warhead of much greater explosive power than that of the conventional depth charge, the nuclear depth bomb considerably increases the likelihood (to the point of near certainty) of the destruction of the attacked submarine.

Because of this much greater power some nuclear depth bombs feature a variable yield, whereby the explosive energy of the device may be varied between a low setting for use in shallow or coastal waters, and a high yield for deep water open-sea use. This is intended to minimise damage to peripheral areas and merchant shipping.

All nuclear anti-submarine weapons were withdrawn from service by the United States, the United Kingdom, France, Russia, and China in or around 1990. They were replaced by conventional weapons such as the Mk.54 Torpedo that provided ever-increasing accuracy and range as anti-submarine warfare technology improved

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_depth_bomb
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Offline DemolitionMan

Re: Nuclear depth bomb
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 07:19:28 am »
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 07:56:29 am »
The ultimate 'Nobel Spinner'. Too bad the fish are no good after. :shrug:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 08:01:48 am »
The ultimate 'Nobel Spinner'. Too bad the fish are no good after. :shrug:

:amen: