Author Topic: How to Down a Satellite: Go Back 22 Years  (Read 668 times)

Offline DemolitionMan

How to Down a Satellite: Go Back 22 Years
« on: October 13, 2017, 08:54:43 am »
he U.S. Navy's planned attempt to destroy a de-orbiting spy satellite using a ship-launched missile this month is making headlines -- but if the attempt is successful it won't be the first time the United States government has used a missile to shoot a satellite down.

More than 22 years ago, on Sept. 13, 1985, U.S. Air Force Maj. (now retired Maj. Gen.) Wilbert "Doug" Pearson became the first pilot ever to shoot down a satellite, when an ASM-135 ASAT anti-satellite missile launched from his F-15A Eagle at an altitude of 38,100 feet in the Pacific Missile Test Range some 200 miles west of Vandenburg Air Force Base, Calif.

Writing in 2001 for the Air Force Flight Test Center's (AFFTC's) Web article series Moments in Flight Test History, Dr. Raymond Puffer, the AFFTC's historian, noted that Maj. Gen Pearson's successful ASAT mission -- dubbed the "Celestial Eagle Flight" -- made him "the first and only space ace." MORE

Maj. Wilbert 'Doug' Pearson successfully launched an anti-satellite, or ASAT, missile from a highly modified F-15A on Sept. 13, 1985 in the Pacific Missile Test Range. He scored a direct hit on the Solwind P78-1 satellite orbiting 340 miles above.
Credit: U.S. Air Force/Paul E. Reynolds
The U.S. Navy's planned attempt to destroy a de-orbiting spy satellite using a ship-launched missile this month is making headlines -- but if the attempt is successful it won't be the first time the United States government has used a missile to shoot a satellite down.

More than 22 years ago, on Sept. 13, 1985, U.S. Air Force Maj. (now retired Maj. Gen.) Wilbert "Doug" Pearson became the first pilot ever to shoot down a satellite, when an ASM-135 ASAT anti-satellite missile launched from his F-15A Eagle at an altitude of 38,100 feet in the Pacific Missile Test Range some 200 miles west of Vandenburg Air Force Base, Calif.

Writing in 2001 for the Air Force Flight Test Center's (AFFTC's) Web article series Moments in Flight Test History, Dr. Raymond Puffer, the AFFTC's historian, noted that Maj. Gen Pearson's successful ASAT mission -- dubbed the "Celestial Eagle Flight" -- made him "the first and only space ace." [Satellites Gallery: Science from Above]

(However, the United States' then-Strategic Defense Initiative Organization successfully collided two Delta upper stages in low earth orbit in 1986, in its Delta 180 experiment. Then, early in 2007, China shot down an old weather satellite using a ground-launched ballistic missile.)

Maj. Pearson's mission Sept. 1985 mission represented the culmination of a six-year development and test program for the ASAT missile. The mission called for Maj. Pearson, the director of the U.S. Air Force's ASAT Combined Test Force, to fly a highly accurate flight profile so his aircraft would arrive at a precise firing point over the Pacific Ocean at a precise time.

Flying at just above Mach 1.2, Maj. Pearson pulled up into a 3.8g, 65-degree climb that reduced the speed of his aircraft to Mach 0.934, just below the speed of sound. At 38,100 feet, the ASAT missile launched automatically, accelerating up to escape velocity as it streaked towards its target.

The infra-red sensor of the ASAT's miniature homing vehicle (MHV) -- the 30-pound third stage of the 2,700-pound, three-stage missile -- detected and tracked the intended target, the obsolete, 2,000-pound Solwind P78-1 solar laboratory launched in 1979 and orbiting at an altitude of 345 miles

https://www.livescience.com/4832-satellite-22-years.html
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 08:55:09 am by DemolitionMan »
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Offline DemolitionMan

"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Offline DB

Re: How to Down a Satellite: Go Back 22 Years
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 09:06:02 am »
It is a BIG mistake taking out satellites in orbit with missiles. The odds of taking out many other satellites in a similar orbit is high due to all the fragments flying around at high speed in unpredictable directions. It could cause a massive chain reaction of destruction... Put enough loose crap in orbit and that space will be useless for satellites in the future.

Offline DemolitionMan

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 09:09:01 am »
It is a BIG mistake taking out satellites in orbit with missiles. The odds of taking out many other satellites in a similar orbit is high due to all the fragments flying around at high speed in unpredictable directions. It could cause a massive chain reaction of destruction... Put enough loose crap in orbit and that space will be useless for satellites in the future.

I agree. Increases more and more junk. But you must remember, this was during the Cold War and Soviet Satellites were targeted. This program was part of Ronald Reagan's SDI program. We just shoot them down when their lives are up like USA-193. That was used to test SM-3 missiles.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 09:12:04 am by DemolitionMan »

Offline DB

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 09:23:06 am »
Don't disagree. They wanted to prove they could do it. But they shouldn't do it anymore... The Chinese created a big mess on the one they shot up.

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 09:27:59 am »
Don't disagree. They wanted to prove they could do it. But they shouldn't do it anymore... The Chinese created a big mess on the one they shot up.

They did create a huge mess.