Author Topic: North Korea threat: EMP attack can destroy a nation’s entire infrastructure in a flash  (Read 643 times)

Offline DemolitionMan

Jamie Seide

DETONATING a thermonuclear warhead 400km above Washington would instantly fry most of the nation’s power grid — and electronics.
The idea is not about melting a city, set enormous fires and irradiate vast tracks of terrain.
It’s about eliminating a nation’s entire infrastructure in a single flash.
There’s little surprise that North Korean state media has been lauding the power of Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP).
This is where the gamma radiation of a high-altitude nuclear blast interacts with the ionosphere — a blanket of electrons and electrically charged particles surrounding the Earth — to send a series electromagnetic pulses spearing into the ground below.
Once this burst of radiation strikes the ground it can induce strong currents — particularly in electrical cables and phone lines. This can overload and destroy electrical networks, as well as cause delicate circuit boards to fuse.
An entire economy can be brought to a standstill in nanoseconds.
In the words of former director of the CIA James Woolsey, it would bring the United States “to a cold, dark halt”.
ELECTRIC WAR

It’s an effect similar to that of Earth being struck by a serious solar storm, or — at a much smaller scale — when lightning causes a surge in a power grid.
North Korea’s state news agency commented on just such a tactic at the weekend. It follows a series of similar observations about the power of EMP in July.
The latest statement boasts North Korea’s new bomb “is a multifunctional thermonuclear nuke with great destructive power which can be detonated even at high altitudes for super-powerful EMP attack.”

http://www.news.com.au/technology/science/space/north-korea-threat-emp-attack-can-destroy-a-nations-entire-infrastructure-in-a-flash/news-story/61b9c40ecef93315fcc89fa6af4f6fb8
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Offline DemolitionMan

KIM Jong-un needs only one hydrogen bomb to bring America to its knees. And he knows it. This is the nation-wide effect it can have in nanoseconds.
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Offline thackney

It’s about eliminating a nation’s entire infrastructure in a single flash.

Not even close to possible.  Fear mongering, fake news.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL

888ohnoes
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

ABSOLUTELY!   Total BS!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline thackney

KIM Jong-un needs only one hydrogen bomb to bring America to its knees. And he knows it. This is the nation-wide effect it can have in nanoseconds.

100% BS.

The Starfish Nuclear test cited in the article as proof impacted 1% of the streetlights in Oahu with no other significant damage to the electrical systems.  These particular streetlights blew the very low-tech fuses that existed in one type of streetlight.

http://ece-research.unm.edu/summa/notes/SDAN/0031.pdf

We have far more advanced surge-protection on our distribution and transmission systems.  The modern protective relays act faster by an order of magnitude.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 06:01:34 pm by thackney »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline roamer_1

That's right.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical

:hands:

Frankly, a regular old nuclear bomb would be more devastating, not just for us but for the lil fat midget himself as well, because we'd retaliate massively.