Author Topic: Conservatives, Get Real with Yourselves and Denounce Trump’s Attacks on the Press  (Read 2166 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Defense of the First Amendment is something that conservatives have traditionally bragged about.
By Katherine Timpf
http://www.nationalreview.com/article/452623/trump-first-amendment-tweet-attacks-press-first-amendment-conservative-value-hypocrisy

The president of the United States thinks “it’s frankly disgusting the way the press is able to write
whatever they want to write,” and I think what’s “frankly disgusting” is how many conservatives are
defending his comments.

As I stated in my column on Sunday — after President Trump said he wanted “equal time” given to his
viewpoint on television programs — I do completely agree that the coverage of this president has been
incomparably negative, and often unfairly so. There is a bias; there is a vendetta, and the mainstream
media would never subject a liberal politician to this kind of scrutiny. I also, however, explained that
none of this matters when it comes to the government’s role in the press. The most important purpose
of the First Amendment is not protection against government punishment for political incorrectness, but
protection against government punishment for saying negative things about the government. The press
has a sacred duty as the Fourth Estate, and it’s the sacred duty of our elected officials to protect the
press’s and all of our freedoms . . .

. . . Calling for government control of the media is not a conservative view; it’s a fascist one. You’re fine
to think that the government should control the media; you’re fine to espouse it — thanks, of course, to
the First Amendment that you’re apparently totally fine with jeopardizing — but please understand that
this idea is not compatible with conservative, or even traditionally American, values.

Honestly, it’s making me so sick to see how many conservatives are bending over backwards trying to
defend these kinds of comments. They’ll say: “But the media lie! Shouldn’t they be punished for their
lies?” Okay, a few things about that. First of all, although the mainstream media are biased, and although
journalists have incorrectly reported some things surrounding this administration, President Trump has a
penchant for flippantly calling any news he does not like (true or not!) “fake.” Second of all, President
Trump himself has lied, misreported, or misrepresented information countless times. Do you think he
should be punished, too? Oh, and then there’s this question: Have any media outlets that you do like
ever made mistakes or shown a bias? Do you really want to risk putting those outlets in jeopardy by
allowing the government to create these kinds of policies, knowing full well that future administrations
— potentially, administrations you may not align yourself with — will be able to use those tools as well?
Think! . . .

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Concerned

:amen:

So right!

:thumbsup:

It also makes me sick to see “conservatives” somehow try and argue for big government further regulating the press. It’s incredible to me, in fact.
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline EasyAce

It also makes me sick to see “conservatives” somehow try and argue for big government further period.
Fixed it for you.  :beer:

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline Concerned

Offline Victoria33

@EasyAce

Trump wants only one press - his mouth.

Offline EasyAce

@EasyAce

Trump wants only one press - his mouth.
@Victoria33
Figure that out by yourself, did you?  :laugh:

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Remember when Clinton denounced "right wing radio", Limbaugh, I forget the particulars but that could be a situation to compare this to.  I think though, Clinton was obviously speaking rubbish compared to this present situation.

Offline Concerned

Remember when Clinton denounced "right wing radio", Limbaugh, I forget the particulars but that could be a situation to compare this to.  I think though, Clinton was obviously speaking rubbish compared to this present situation.

I don’t recall Clinton discussing “challenging” licenses of news outlets he didn’t like. Of course, Nixon certainly did before he resigned the Presidency so perhaps that might be a better comparison.   :tongue2:

Offline EasyAce

@TomSea
I think you were thinking about Hilarious Rodent Clinton's claim of a "vast right-wing conspiracy trying to
destroy my husband" when the Paula Jones/Monica Lewinsky scandal began to erupt in earnest. ;)

Offline RoosGirl

I still have my Vast Right Wing Member t-shirt. :)

Offline Frank Cannon

I still have my Vast Right Wing Member t-shirt. :)

Do you wear it wet or dry?

Offline RoosGirl

Do you wear it wet or dry?

Depends on if I'm going to a hispanic heritage month event.

Offline Frank Cannon

We’re all better than this; we’re smarter than this, and we had better get it together before it’s too late.

What exactly do you know about shit Snowflake? You're a 28 year old nobody with no life experience. Prior to Reagan the govt' controlled the shit out of all of this. Equal time bullshit. TV's signing off at night. All types of stuff. These concepts are nothing new. Now go back to your Twitter feed and give us some more of your high level thinking Kathy....

Offline RoosGirl

We’re all better than this; we’re smarter than this, and we had better get it together before it’s too late.

What exactly do you know about shit Snowflake? You're a 28 year old nobody with no life experience. Prior to Reagan the govt' controlled the shit out of all of this. Equal time bullshit. TV's signing off at night. All types of stuff. These concepts are nothing new. Now go back to your Twitter feed and give us some more of your high level thinking Kathy....

Cripes Frank, I know we talked about how size matters, but can you figure out to adjust the size on your pics to something reasonable.

Offline Frank Cannon

Cripes Frank, I know we talked about how size matters, but can you figure out to adjust the size on your pics to something reasonable.

I said this years ago when people started bitching about resizing pics. I'm a busy man. I have no time for that noise. When I post large pics that bug people a little fairy comes by and cleans up my mess. Its the way I like it and no one up till YOU have complained about it.

Let me also add that those heels are awesome and your pic doesn't do them justice.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 03:28:59 am by Frank Cannon »

Offline RoosGirl

I said this years ago when people started bitching about resizing pics. I'm a busy man. I have no time for that noise. When I post large pics that bug people a little fairy comes by and cleans up my mess. Its the way I like it and no one up till YOU have complained about it.

Let me also add that those heels are awesome and your pic doesn't do them justice.

Those shoes look like she dug her Bedazzler out of her junk drawer and she's got a huge, gross bunion on her left foot.

Offline Frank Cannon

...gross bunion on her left foot.

I did notice that. She needs to steer clear of toe cleavage heels......and keep her mouth shut too.

Offline EasyAce

What exactly do you know about shit Snowflake? You're a 28 year old nobody with no life experience.
She's been a rightward leaning journalist for about seven years (she has worked for the Washington Times
and also for Fox News, a.k.a. the TNN [Trump News Network]), now, and professes belief in limited government,
non-interventionist foreign policy, and made a splash in 2015 when she denounced Hilarious Rodent Clinton as
a fake feminist over her defenses of her husband, former President Droopy-Drawers Clinton. The young lady
appears to be many things, a snowflake not being one of them.

And if standing foursquare for the Constitution equals being a snowflake, it's not Ms. Timpf who has the problem.

Prior to Reagan the govt' controlled the shit out of all of this.
Did that make it right? Does it now?

Offline Frank Cannon

She's been a rightward leaning journalist for about seven years (she has worked for the Washington Times
and also for Fox News, a.k.a. the TNN [Trump News Network]), now, and professes belief in limited government,
non-interventionist foreign policy, and made a splash in 2015 when she denounced Hilarious Rodent Clinton as
a fake feminist over her defenses of her husband, former President Droopy-Drawers Clinton. The young lady
appears to be many things, a snowflake not being one of them.

And if standing foursquare for the Constitution equals being a snowflake, it's not Ms. Timpf who has the problem.
Did that make it right? Does it now?

She is the ultimate professional. Anyone remember when William Buckley used to do stand up at Slappy Pete's Comedy Cellar on the Lower East Side back in the 50's?

Offline EasyAce

She is the ultimate professional. Anyone remember when William Buckley used to do stand up at Slappy Pete's Comedy Cellar on the Lower East Side back in the 50's?

I remember when Buckley made cameos on Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In and told
his viewers he wrote for Playboy occasionally "in order to communicate my views to
my seventeen-year-old son."

And, personally, I'd rather listen to a conservative thinker with a sense of humour than a
goddam sourpuss who makes a tax examiner resemble Fred Allen, God rest his soul in
peace . . .
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 03:49:01 am by EasyAce »

Offline Frank Cannon

I remember when Buckley made cameos on Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In and told
his viewers he wrote for Playboy occasionally "in order to communicate my views to
my seventeen-year-old son."

That was after he was somebody and was respected for his thoughts. This dizzy broad is nothing but a bleach blond FOX News fabrication much like Tomi Lehren who's only motivation is to find some shtick to stardom. Right Wing pundit, Left Wing pundit, wacky comedienne or whatever get's her ass in front of a viewer.

Offline EasyAce

That was after he was somebody and was respected for his thoughts. This dizzy broad is nothing but a bleach blond FOX News fabrication much like Tomi Lehren who's only motivation is to find some shtick to stardom . . .
I suppose P.J. O'Rourke was a National Lampoon fabrication, too. And I'd rather listen to and read
him than most of what passes for the punditry these days . . .

Trying to assassinate the messenger with cheap insults that weren't funny in the nursery schoolyard
without troubling to consider the message seriously speaks far less of the assassin and elevates
the messenger even more. I would rather listen to two sentences of Ms. Timpf than ten paragraphs
of what passes for the punditry here and elsewhere.

But I should know better than to engage a battle of wits with an unarmed man. Good night, sir.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 04:01:51 am by EasyAce »

Offline KingsX

• Be yourself. No one can say you're doing it wrong.

My definition of "conservative" means one who upholds God's Biblical laws.
It has nothing to do with the US constitution because it transcends the USA.

Offline Frank Cannon

I suppose P.J. O'Rourke was a National Lampoon fabrication, too. And I'd rather listen to and read
him than most of what passes for the punditry these days . . .

Trying to assassinate the messenger with cheap insults that weren't funny in the nursery schoolyard
without troubling to consider the message seriously speaks far less of the assassin and elevates
the messenger even more. I would rather listen to two sentences of Ms. Timpf than ten paragraphs
of what passes for the punditry here and elsewhere.

But I should know better than to engage a battle of wits with an unarmed man. Good night, sir.

What is she? Your daughter or niece? Your only upset that I pointed out that you need to buttress your Trump hate with articles from morons. I would also like to know what makes you think she is as funny as PJ? Are you forced to go see her "No Cover" stand up act because she is family?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xpiz-zp31Ws

Didn't dick and ball jokes go out with Buddy Hackett?

Offline KingsX

• Be yourself. No one can say you're doing it wrong.

How many here remember what former VP Biden said a few years ago about how the media has led the way for government to legalize the leftist social agenda. It was quite enlightening. Even more enlightening was Biden saying it was "good."  Proving once again the end of the age confusion of calling good, evil and evil, good.