Author Topic: TBR Helldesk: I can't see embedded Youtube clips on TBR...  (Read 10996 times)

Offline roamer_1

TBR Helldesk: I can't see embedded Youtube clips on TBR...
« on: October 12, 2017, 09:49:08 pm »
First off, I am not a tech for TBR. I am not sure of the scripting involved in allowing an embedded vid, but it seems, generally, that these things may help:

I am specifically dealing with Mozilla Firefox here - For help with another browser, ask below.

Script blockers and Ad Blockers

These are add-ons, added to your browser. You should be aware of them, as you probably installed the blocker into the browser.

To view your add-ons in Mozilla Firefox (and the various forks thereof):
Press 'alt' to view the standard tool bar (at top). Poke 'Tools' => 'Add-ons'

There is a variety of blockers, and I can't address them all. I can say that I personally run No-Script and Ad-Block Plus... No-Script is bypassed on TBR - I trust the site, and have 'allowed' everything coming from gopbriefingroom.com. Ad-Block Plus is live and fully active on TBR (so it shouldn't be your problem).

If you have a script blocker installed, scripting must be allowed for the site, or you won't get to see embedded vids. From the front page of TBR, select your script-blocker's interface, and 'allow all this site' (or the like).

Underlying Programming Support

Java
TBR seems to rely on Java to perform embedded scripting. Hence, you probably need Java installed on your machine. If it is already on your machine, it may need updating. I can handle the 'How to know if you have Java' and 'How to update existing Java' below, but the easiest way to deal with it now, is to simply download the newest version and install it. This will install the newest version, and remove previous versions.

Download:
https://java.com/en/download/

Follow the downloading instructions, saving the file. If you haven't changed your browser's behavior, the file should be in your 'downloads' folder. You will have to run the file once it is downloaded.

In Firefox, simply find the white (or blue) 'Down Arrow' button to the left of the address bar. In that menu, you will find a file something like JavaSetupXXXX.exe, where 'X' is a number. You can poke that file directly, right there, to make it run, but I'd rather you poke the folder next to it. This will bring up your file manager, in the directory where the file resides, with the appropriate file highlighted.  2-click the file, and then close your browser, leaving the file manager window open.

You will probably get a UAC warning from your machine, asking if you want to install the file... Choose yes. Then simply follow the standard instruction. when the install is complete it will open an IE window sending you to their site. You can close that window with no further action needed.

Go back to the file manager, and delete the original file. It is no longer needed. Close the File Manager.

Now, fire up your browser and see if you have vids on TBR.

Adobe Flash
I don't know why. Supposedly HTML 5 is supposed to remove the need for Flash, but if Java wasn't the problem, Flash is the next step:

Download:
https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Be careful here. The website has a pre-checked 'optional offer' Uncheck that box. All you need is the Flash itself.

Hit the 'Install now' button. After a bit, a save dialog will show up - Choose to save the file. Thereafter, the download procedure will follow the same sequence as Java did. Find the 'Down Arrow', in that menu look for 'flashplayerXX_jd_install.exe' and run the file... You can open the file manager and run the file - But the file will delete itself when it is done installing, so it will be gone by the time you are looking to delete it.

Again, you will get a User Account Control warning, asking if you want to run the file. Yes you do.
Again, close your browser. Again, follow the standard install. Again, it will open a browser window when finished, which can be closed with no further action.

Open your browser, navigate to TBR, and see if you can see the vids.

If that doesn't do it, I don't know what. Post here and let's work it out.

Intermittent vids - 'I had them, now I don't'

Probably either your Java or Flash, or both, need to be updated.

Intermittent vids - 'I see some, but not others'

You probably have Java, but don't have Flash (or flash needs updating). Again, I don't know why, but sometimes google still needs flash.

Offline roamer_1

Re: TBR Helldesk: I can't see embedded Youtube clips on TBR...
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 09:49:31 pm »

Offline musiclady

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 10:11:13 pm »
OK............ here's the deal......

I usually use IE for going to TBR, and haven't had trouble with the youtube videos.  Recently, they just went blank.

I posted a youtube on the Lounge thread the other day, and I can't even see my own link.   When I click on Modify or Quote, the url address shows up, but to actually see it, I have to cut and paste it on the address bar.

I am now on Firefox and when I first checked it out, there was a gray box saying something like Adobe was out of date, so I clicked on "upgrade" and the whole thing disappeared.

Not sure what to do.

I see other youtubes as blank spots, but if I do the same thing......... click on quote......... I can see what others have posted, but I have to copy and paste.

This is a brand new problem.

Keep in mind that I know NOTHING about the real workings of computers and when people get into techie talk, I don't understand a word.

Do I go to Adobe and upgrade there?

I don't think the ad-block discussion on the Lounge is the problem.  Even if it is, I don't know how to adjust it.

Anyone up for teaching a dummy how to fix this?

Oh.......... Windows 7 on my computer.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 10:12:52 pm »
Thanks, @roamer_1 !  I hadn't had time to post a thread yet, so thanks for doing it for me!   :beer:

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 10:53:35 pm »
OK............ here's the deal......

I usually use IE for going to TBR, and haven't had trouble with the youtube videos.  Recently, they just went blank.

I posted a youtube on the Lounge thread the other day, and I can't even see my own link.   When I click on Modify or Quote, the url address shows up, but to actually see it, I have to cut and paste it on the address bar.

I am now on Firefox and when I first checked it out, there was a gray box saying something like Adobe was out of date, so I clicked on "upgrade" and the whole thing disappeared.

Not sure what to do.

I see other youtubes as blank spots, but if I do the same thing......... click on quote......... I can see what others have posted, but I have to copy and paste.

This is a brand new problem.

Keep in mind that I know NOTHING about the real workings of computers and when people get into techie talk, I don't understand a word.

Do I go to Adobe and upgrade there?

I don't think the ad-block discussion on the Lounge is the problem.  Even if it is, I don't know how to adjust it.

Anyone up for teaching a dummy how to fix this?

Oh.......... Windows 7 on my computer.

@musiclady
Basically the same thing. Sounds like your Adobe Flash is out of date.

Use Firefox, and follow the instruction for updating flash and see.

I would update both Java and Flash and you'll be fine.

You can do the same with IE, but since you have FF, the process is already there, and the update will be effected in both IE and FF.

Alternatively, in your control panel, both Adobe Flash and Java have applets you can access where you can effect a simple update instead...

Start: Right Panel=> Poke Control Panel
In the Control Panel window: Upper right: 'View by'=Large Icons

Look for Java and look for Flash. Each has an 'update now' function which will allow you to upgrade rather than newly install... And you should get used to that. Those two subsystems are becoming antiquated, but unlike what some say, still very necessary for proper display on the web.

You should also be being notified they need to be updated in those little icons by your clock... If you see a java or flash icon there, always let it update.

As to doing this here vs. in the lounge, the question is asked often enough that I would like to have a thread to point to, rather than always reiterating the same things.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 11:21:25 pm »
Just for the record, I updated Adobe on my desktop and it still doesn't show.  I'm on my tablet now and everything is just peachy.

I'll  work on java and the other things you suggested and get back to you.

Thanks again!

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 11:30:00 pm »
Just for the record, I updated Adobe on my desktop and it still doesn't show.  I'm on my tablet now and everything is just peachy.

I'll  work on java and the other things you suggested and get back to you.

Thanks again!

NP... It will be Java ... Lemme know.

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 11:31:27 pm »
Check the fluid level in your parking brake.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 11:39:59 pm »
OK.......... I think I've updated both Java and Adobe Flash correctly.

I went to the Control Panel and followed your instructions, and I think I've got it correctly updated.

It says "You have version 27,0,0,159 installed"......... which seems to be what I need for this computer.

Does that seem right??

Should I close out of everything and see what happens?

btw, glad we're not doing this in the Lounge!   :beer:

Offline musiclady

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 11:42:58 pm »
Voila!

Congratulations!

You have the recommended Java installed (Version 8 Update 144).

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2017, 11:49:00 pm »

It says "You have version 27,0,0,159 installed"......... which seems to be what I need for this computer.

Yes that is the current version.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2017, 11:49:53 pm »
Voila!

Congratulations!

You have the recommended Java installed (Version 8 Update 144).

So... Got JOY on vids?

Offline musiclady

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2017, 11:51:54 pm »
So... Got JOY on vids?

Nope.  Not on IE.   Let me check FF......     :shrug:

Offline musiclady

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2017, 11:56:13 pm »
@roamer_1

Not on Firefox either.

What was that about Adblocks and such??

What else can I do?

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2017, 11:59:32 pm »
I don't think this will help @musiclady, since AdBlock Plus doesn't install itself (unless maybe someone "helped" her?), but I'll repeat what I posted on another thread in case anyone finds this thread, since I see exactly the same thing she does and this works for me.

In Firefox, if I click on Tools I will see "AdBlock Plus >".  If I select that, a menu will pop up where I can check the box next to "Disable on gopbriefingroom.com".  Doing so will allow me to see youtube video links instead of just a big empty space.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2017, 12:04:28 am »
@roamer_1

Not on Firefox either.

What else can I do?

Two things you can try

First...the little red Firefox box in the upper left corner click that and when the menu drops down click restart.

if that doesn't work try clearing your cache and restarting your puter..
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2017, 12:05:22 am »
@roamer_1

Not on Firefox either.

What else can I do?

@musiclady
Alright, lets start with IE...

Go to the flash applet in Control panel.
Once it's dialog is up, go to the update tab.
You should have 159.0.01 version installed for BOTH ActiveX and NPAPI
Is the ActiveX one there?

EDIT: Sorry, mistype... should have said version 27.0.0.159...
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 12:10:41 am by roamer_1 »

Offline musiclady

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2017, 02:17:16 am »
@musiclady

Sorry.  I have to take this up again tomorrow.  I just spent a bunch of time trying to get my Webroot subscription straightened out.

I'll be back!!

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2017, 02:34:56 am »
Sorry.  I have to take this up again tomorrow.  I just spent a bunch of time trying to get my Webroot subscription straightened out.

I'll be back!!

@musiclady
LOL! Not a problem... I will be back around in the morning. Have a nice night!

Homework:
WRT Adobe Flash:
If you do not have the ActiveX version listed as mentioned before,
USING IE, go to the same adobe flash site, and repeat the process.

If you have the ActiveX, but not the NPAPI, then USING FIREFOX, likewise.

Sorry, I just tested it on my own box... The Flash installer has lately been able to install both in one go, but evidently that has recently changed back to the old way, where you need to install each. Once installed, however, the updater will take care of both at the same time...

Adobe sucks at this.

You should end up listing both:
ActiveX 27.0.0.159
NPAPI   27.0.0.159
when you are on the Control Panel => Flash:Updates tab.

If you did not have the ActiveX (which I suspect), After install, try vids on TBR again using IE. There should be joy.

Good night... I'll catch you for coffee in the morning :)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 02:35:21 am by roamer_1 »

Offline musiclady

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2017, 06:30:55 pm »
@musiclady

OK.......... this is what I have for both ActiveX and NPAPI -   27.0.0159

So that's alright.

(Still no videos.  :shrug:)

I also solved the Webroot problem, FWIW.  ^-^
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 06:32:19 pm by musiclady »

Offline musiclady

Offline musiclady

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2017, 06:39:15 pm »
Nope.  Can't see it.   :shrug:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2017, 06:53:20 pm »
OK.......... this is what I have for both ActiveX and NPAPI -   27.0.0159

So that's alright.

@musiclady

Good.
Verify Java:
Using IE,
https://java.com/en/download/installed.jsp

Poke the button, allow the thingy to run.
Should be version 8 update 144

I also solved the Webroot problem, FWIW.  ^-^

Webroot may well be the problem here too... we'll see.
Verify Java, please.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 07:02:28 pm by roamer_1 »

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2017, 06:54:54 pm »

I see it....it's there
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline endicom

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2017, 06:55:22 pm »

I see it. But I haven't been able post videos on TBR.