Author Topic: The U.S. Military's Big Weakness: Its Nuclear Tipped ICBMs Are Old  (Read 251 times)

Offline DemolitionMan

Constance Douris

In order to deter nuclear aggression against its homeland and vital interests, the U.S. must demonstrate that its strategic arsenal is capable of surviving an attack and then retaliating with devastating force against the aggressor. In other words, the losses an attacker would suffer must demonstrably exceed any potential gains. Thus, the paradox of nuclear strategy is that when weapons are postured effectively, they will never be used.  We buy and maintain nuclear weapons in the hope they will remain in their submarines and silos forever.

The nuclear triad consists of submarines, bombers and land-based intercontinental missiles (ICBMs). Each part of the triad uniquely complicates an aggressor’s calculus when contemplating whether to attack the U.S. or its allies. Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis confirmed last month that the U.S. nuclear deterrent will remain a triad, stating he had been persuaded that “the triad and its framework is the right way to go.”

http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/the-us-militarys-big-weakness-its-nuclear-tipped-icbms-are-22672
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Offline DemolitionMan

Re: The U.S. Military's Big Weakness: Its Nuclear Tipped ICBMs Are Old
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 12:02:21 am »

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOPHSpW7oKU

Minuteman ICBM: "Minuteman: From Design To Delivery" 1963 US Air Force
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 12:03:44 am by DemolitionMan »
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome