Author Topic: Conservative groups demand McConnell step down as Senate GOP leader  (Read 3158 times)

Offline libertybele

Nothing like having your head on the chopping block, after you've done such a terrific job!  Couldn't be happening to a nicer guy!  Step down?  He needs to find the first exit. :silly: :silly: :silly:

Conservative groups demand McConnell step down as Senate GOP leader

The leaders of several conservative groups called Wednesday for Mitch McConnell to step down as Senate majority leader, arguing the Kentucky Republican and the rest of his team should be ousted from their posts because they have not implemented the conservative agenda they promised.

“We call on all five members of the GOP Senate leadership to step down, or for their caucus to remove them as soon as possible,” Ken Cuccinelli, the former attorney general of Virginia who now leads the Senate Conservatives Fund, said at a Wednesday press conference on Capitol Hill.

All the leaders come from anti-Republican establishment organizations with ties to the Tea Party movement. They have long been thorns in McConnell’s side and have backed conservative challengers to Republican incumbents in Senate races. They include representatives from FreedomWorks, the Tea Party Patriots and For America......

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/10/11/conservative-groups-demand-mcconnell-step-down-as-senate-gop-leader.html

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Conservative groups demand McConnell step down as Senate GOP leader
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 02:54:32 am »
I sense that McConnell's decision to end "the blue slip" regarding judicial nominees was based in part by [what he probably perceived to be] growing opposition to his continued leadership position.

Nevertheless, we should keep the steam pressure up.

Next stop -- jettison the filibuster!

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 12:08:56 pm »
If it wasn't for McConnell Supreme Court Justice Merrick B. Garland would be deciding cases, and the one tangible accomplishment of President Trump, nominating Gorsuch, would never have been confirmed by the McConnell Senate...so yeah.  Throw the Trump luving pr*ck out the Senate. 

Clearly the GOP is too corrupt and too inept to have such responsibility.  I look forward to the SCF and Freedomworks working tirelessly to unseat Republicans again next year.  Cause nuthin says conservative like bashing Republicans. 22222frying pan

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 12:38:44 pm »
Conservatives have been fighting for the soul of the GOP for a long time, while the moderates have been pimping it out on every corner down K street and beyond.
The bottom line is that these people got support from the TEA party people based on a set of promises that remain unfulfilled, most prominent the repeal (not tinkering with or rebranding of) the ACA. Other examples apply. Too many awsh*ts and not enough 'attaboys'. As for "Republicans" for whom I recall the term RINO being used, (like McCain Collins, Graham, and Murkowski, for starters), who all too consistently vote with the Democrats, replacement is the only option (although in  McCain's case, he might leave office naturally).
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 12:46:29 pm »
Conservatives have been fighting for the soul of the GOP for a long time, while the moderates have been pimping it out on every corner down K street and beyond.
The bottom line is that these people got support from the TEA party people based on a set of promises that remain unfulfilled, most prominent the repeal (not tinkering with or rebranding of) the ACA. Other examples apply. Too many awsh*ts and not enough 'attaboys'. As for "Republicans" for whom I recall the term RINO being used, (like McCain Collins, Graham, and Murkowski, for starters), who all too consistently vote with the Democrats, replacement is the only option (although in  McCain's case, he might leave office naturally).

I'm one of those who was in the fight for a LONG time!  Had some success here in Texas but on the national level not so much!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 01:08:15 pm »
I sense that McConnell's decision to end "the blue slip" regarding judicial nominees was based in part by [what he probably perceived to be] growing opposition to his continued leadership position.

Nevertheless, we should keep the steam pressure up.

Next stop -- jettison the filibuster!

Agreed, at least in the abstract -  what is holding things back isn't McConnell's leadership per se, but ancient Senate rules and traditions that give a determined, united and cynical minority the ability to grind things to a halt.   The Dems constitute such a determined, united and cynical minority,  and a damned effective one.   The questions becomes whether it is now time to change those rules and traditions, recognizing that a time will come when Republicans' ability to check Democratic ambitions will be adversely affected. 

I'd be much more enthusiastic about changing Senate rules if the GOP were united.  Since it is curiously engaged in fratricide, notwithstanding holding majorities in both houses, conservatives' dream of governing is slipping away.   Since we will likely lose control in 2018, we should think ahead to a future where conservatives will have diminished influence, and will again be in the position of having to check Democratic initiatives.   We are on the horns of a dilemma, and only have ourselves to blame.       
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 01:11:43 pm »
The questions becomes whether it is now time to change those rules and traditions, recognizing that a time will come when Republicans' ability to check Democratic ambitions will be adversely affected. 

Exactly.

With "Change" often being the mode of the Left (after all, the right is "conservative" -- meaning hesitant to change), weakening these hindrances to change will favor The Left's intent to tear down what we have.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 02:35:04 pm »
Exactly.

With "Change" often being the mode of the Left (after all, the right is "conservative" -- meaning hesitant to change), weakening these hindrances to change will favor The Left's intent to tear down what we have.

We're eager to deny the minority its historic rights to obstruct the majority now that we're "in power", but at the same time engage in fratricide that imperils our majority.   

What the hell do conservatives want?   To govern?  To purge the hated "moderates"?   You can't do both at the same time.  And if the goal is to purge main street Republicans in favor of Breitbart extremists, then we better make sure we don't jettison the filibuster, because it will soon be the primary tool that Republicans have when we return to backbencher status.

It's utter madness, folks,  and it's all self-inflicted.     

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 02:45:30 pm »
We're eager to deny the minority its historic rights to obstruct the majority now that we're "in power", but at the same time engage in fratricide that imperils our majority.   

What the hell do conservatives want?   To govern?  To purge the hated "moderates"?   You can't do both at the same time.  And if the goal is to purge main street Republicans in favor of Breitbart extremists, then we better make sure we don't jettison the filibuster, because it will soon be the primary tool that Republicans have when we return to backbencher status.

Man that post sounds like it came from a leftist manual
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 02:55:13 pm »

Can't or won't address it on the merits, eh?   

Why don't you grow up and recognize the Republican Party is a coalition?   Fratricide will destroy the party,  and with it the influence of whatever faction you're a part of.   

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2017, 02:57:03 pm »
Can't or won't address it on the merits, eh?   

Why don't you grow up and recognize the Republican Party is a coalition?   Fratricide will destroy the party,  and with it the influence of whatever faction you're a part of.

@Jazzhead
Merits?   You spew hate at anyone that disagrees with you.  you call anyone who supports traditional American values an extremist.

I don't see any merit in that.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2017, 03:02:29 pm »

Yeah, 'make the enemy live up to its own rules' while they do whatever the hell they need to do to implement their agenda. They turn their concern for protocol and good form on and off like a light switch.

Meanwhile the republic continues its slide down the commode.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2017, 03:17:03 pm »
@Jazzhead
Merits?   You spew hate at anyone that disagrees with you.  you call anyone who supports traditional American values an extremist.

I don't see any merit in that.

I "spew hate" (your words, not mine) at those who react to opposing opinions not by addressing them on the merits but rather ascribing them to a "leftist manual". 

I have for years been loyal to a Republican coalition that includes main street conservatives and moderates,  social conservatives like yourself, libertarians and, lately,  the nativist/isolationist fringies attracted by Donald Trump.  And now all factions are at war with one another - at a time when we have unprecedented control of all branches of government.   We're pissing it all away.  You want the leftists in control again?  Keep it up, you damn fool, keep it up. 

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2017, 03:20:53 pm »
I "spew hate" (your words, not mine) at those who react to opposing opinions not by addressing them on the merits but rather ascribing them to a "leftist manual". 

I have for years been loyal to a Republican coalition that includes main street conservatives and moderates,  social conservatives like yourself, libertarians and, lately,  the nativist/isolationist fringies attracted by Donald Trump.  And now all factions are at war with one another - at a time when we have unprecedented control of all branches of government.   We're pissing it all away.  You want the leftists in control again?  Keep it up, you damn fool, keep it up.

@Jazzhead
You spew hate at anyone that doesn't support your radical leftist ideals of abortion on demand,  normalization of homosexual behavior, gay marriage, destruction of the Christian faith and so on.

IF you are a Republican you are exactly what is wrong with the GOP who has become so distanced from real Americans they can't understand what this country really is.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2017, 03:27:57 pm »
And now all factions are at war with one another - at a time when we have unprecedented control of all branches of government.   We're pissing it all away.  You want the leftists in control again?  Keep it up, you damn fool, keep it up.

Tell me again why the "moderates", as you call them, aren't more responsible for the current paralysis as the "extremists", as you call them?

Trump is the de facto party leader and with one or two exceptions it always seems to be the "moderates" obstructing him. Yet they never seem to be the target of your criticism.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2017, 03:31:54 pm »

Sorry Jazz, but there's only so many layers deep I'm willing to go with a representative republic. In every state I know of, if you win the majority, you control the chamber. There's little the minority can do about it.

There's too much of minority veto power in the US Senate. Blue slips, filibuster, committee maneuvers gives the minority a power they don't deserve because they couldn't win the votes of the American people to control the majority.

That applies to Republicans too. If we can't win, then we take our lumps. I'm a firm believer that if you win the majority, then you should have control, not add 6 more layers of minority veto to shackle the process to a standstill.
The Republic is lost.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2017, 04:17:37 pm »
I'm one of those who was in the fight for a LONG time!  Had some success here in Texas but on the national level not so much!
'Some' is right.  Cornyn has become a swamp creature and Kay Bailey was a disaster.  The 'Some' of course is Cruz, and now Abbott.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2017, 04:25:54 pm »
Sorry Jazz, but there's only so many layers deep I'm willing to go with a representative republic. In every state I know of, if you win the majority, you control the chamber. There's little the minority can do about it.

There's too much of minority veto power in the US Senate. Blue slips, filibuster, committee maneuvers gives the minority a power they don't deserve because they couldn't win the votes of the American people to control the majority.

That applies to Republicans too. If we can't win, then we take our lumps. I'm a firm believer that if you win the majority, then you should have control, not add 6 more layers of minority veto to shackle the process to a standstill.

I understand.   I agree - in the abstract.  But you don't dismantle the rules that empower the minority at the same time you're engaged in fratricide that - let's be honest - is well-nigh guaranteed to land Republicans right back in the minority.

Do you realize how crazy this all is?   Purges and fratricide are what happens to minority parties, trying to find some way to get back into power.   We have the power - Presidency and both Houses of Congress - and we can't practice the art of solidarity.   Bannon's declared war on moderate Republicans;   Paul's acting like a fool,  Trump has no idea how to work cooperatively with Congress and is actively poisoning the well with the heads of the important committees he'll need to pass his priorities. 

The GOP these days is one giant clusterphuck,  and the noisiest are asking for McConnell's head because he won't move to end the filibuster that we're going to need when the cold water of reality hits and Chuckie and Nancy are back in control.   

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2017, 04:30:10 pm »
@Jazzhead
You spew hate at anyone that doesn't support your radical leftist ideals of abortion on demand,  normalization of homosexual behavior, gay marriage, destruction of the Christian faith and so on.

IF you are a Republican you are exactly what is wrong with the GOP who has become so distanced from real Americans they can't understand what this country really is.

Oh, just shut up.  This isn't the thread for this crapola.   You're a social conservative, I'm not.  So what?   For years, I've supported a GOP that includes Neanderthals like you, and I will continue to do so, because I know the GOP can ONLY SUCCEED as a coalition,  of folks with different perspectives but devoted to the Constitution, individual liberty and the equal protection of the law.   

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2017, 04:41:36 pm »
I understand.   I agree - in the abstract.  But you don't dismantle the rules that empower the minority at the same time you're engaged in fratricide that - let's be honest - is well-nigh guaranteed to land Republicans right back in the minority.

Do you realize how crazy this all is?   Purges and fratricide are what happens to minority parties, trying to find some way to get back into power.   We have the power - Presidency and both Houses of Congress - and we can't practice the art of solidarity.   Bannon's declared war on moderate Republicans;   Paul's acting like a fool,  Trump has no idea how to work cooperatively with Congress and is actively poisoning the well with the heads of the important committees he'll need to pass his priorities. 

The GOP these days is one giant clusterphuck,  and the noisiest are asking for McConnell's head because he won't move to end the filibuster that we're going to need when the cold water of reality hits and Chuckie and Nancy are back in control.   

There is a rare and golden opportunity to add GOP seats this election. 60+ seats in the Senate will make inaction a great deal harder. We just need good candidates who can win.
The Republic is lost.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2017, 04:42:39 pm »

Here it is again. It’s all the noisy “extremists” fault, refusing to cooperate with the poor well intentioned moderates.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2017, 04:48:05 pm »
There is a rare and golden opportunity to add GOP seats this election. 60+ seats in the Senate will make inaction a great deal harder. We just need good candidates who can win.

That's right!  So why are so many folks clamoring to primary incumbents with Brietbart extremists?   

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2017, 04:51:49 pm »
Here it is again. It’s all the noisy “extremists” fault, refusing to cooperate with the poor well intentioned moderates.

Solidarity requires compromise - for the greater good - on the part of both conservatives and moderates. 

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2017, 05:03:30 pm »
Oh, just shut up.  This isn't the thread for this crapola.   You're a social conservative, I'm not.  So what?   For years, I've supported a GOP that includes Neanderthals like you, and I will continue to do so, because I know the GOP can ONLY SUCCEED as a coalition,  of folks with different perspectives but devoted to the Constitution, individual liberty and the equal protection of the law.

Wow, Jazzhead, when did you get onboard with supporting the Constitution?  I'm glad you've made that leap, but what changed your mind?

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2017, 05:38:35 pm »
Agreed, at least in the abstract -  what is holding things back isn't McConnell's leadership per se, but ancient Senate rules and traditions that give a determined, united and cynical minority the ability to grind things to a halt.   The Dems constitute such a determined, united and cynical minority,  and a damned effective one.   The questions becomes whether it is now time to change those rules and traditions, recognizing that a time will come when Republicans' ability to check Democratic ambitions will be adversely affected. 

I'd be much more enthusiastic about changing Senate rules if the GOP were united.  Since it is curiously engaged in fratricide, notwithstanding holding majorities in both houses, conservatives' dream of governing is slipping away.   Since we will likely lose control in 2018, we should think ahead to a future where conservatives will have diminished influence, and will again be in the position of having to check Democratic initiatives.   We are on the horns of a dilemma, and only have ourselves to blame.     
I don't see Conservatives with diminished influence, because frankly, Conservatives seem to have little influence over either Party. I do see Republicans with diminished influence, but that will be a result of them not being Conservative and instead acting like the Democrats they are allegedly not.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis