Author Topic: Google Will Hit 100% Renewable Energy This Year  (Read 1121 times)

Offline Suppressed

Google Will Hit 100% Renewable Energy This Year
« on: October 11, 2017, 02:30:36 pm »
Google Will Hit 100% Renewable Energy This Year
The company is primarily powered by wind and solar energy.
By Allee Manning on October 10, 2017
https://www.inverse.com/article/37308-google-renewable-energy-goal

Google has announced that after 10 years a carbon-neutral company, it will be able to brag running on entirely renewable energy at the end of 2017. That means that all of the electricity the company consumes in both its data centers and offices are provided by wind and solar energy.

[...]

Excerpt.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Joe Wooten

Re: Google Will Hit 100% Renewable Energy This Year
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 01:22:54 pm »
BULL$HIT!

Once the electricity is on the grid, you cannot tell if it came from a windmill or a dirt burner. "Renewables" are such a small part of the overall production and so unreliable, that most of the time you are consuming electricity made from "non-renewable" sources. Wind/solar also complicate grid voltage stability, which means the coal/gas/nuke plants have to ramp up the MVARs they generate to keep grid voltage and frequency stable. Small distributed generators cannot do this

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 01:29:24 pm »
I find this hard to believe.  Data centers require a tremendous amount of electricity.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 01:55:19 pm »
BULL$HIT!

Once the electricity is on the grid, you cannot tell if it came from a windmill or a dirt burner. "Renewables" are such a small part of the overall production and so unreliable, that most of the time you are consuming electricity made from "non-renewable" sources. Wind/solar also complicate grid voltage stability, which means the coal/gas/nuke plants have to ramp up the MVARs they generate to keep grid voltage and frequency stable. Small distributed generators cannot do this

Considering Google has built a lot of generating capacity, I'd say that's what their energy is from.  It doesn't matter which check I cashed to get a dollar bill, if it's the "splurge" from my grandmother's birthday check, it doesn't matter which dollar bill I pull from my wallet.  Fungible.

They also purchase "green" energy.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 01:55:48 pm »
I find this hard to believe.  Data centers require a tremendous amount of electricity.

DeepMind AI has reduced that need, but yes, they still need a huge amount.
+++++++++

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 04:22:24 pm »
This is nothing but a 'feel good' story and cannot possibly be true.  The wind don't always blow and the sun don't always shine, so they may claim they are 100% renewable, they cannot possibly exist as a company like that.

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington