Author Topic: Secret F-35, P-8, C-130 data stolen in Australian defence contractor hack  (Read 310 times)

Offline DemolitionMan

Stilgherrian |

In November 2016, the Australian Signals Directorate (ASD) was alerted by a "partner organisation" that an attacker had gained access to the network of a 50-person aerospace engineering firm that subcontracts to the Department of Defence.

Restricted technical information on the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter, the P-8 Poseidon maritime patrol aircraft, the C-130 transport aircraft, the Joint Direct Attack Munition (JDAM) smart bomb kit, and "a few Australian naval vessels" was among the sensitive data stolen from a small Australian defence contractor in 2016.

The secret information was restricted under the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), the US system designed to control the export of defence- and military-related technologies, according to Mitchell Clarke, an incident response manager at the ASD who worked on the case.

One document was a wireframe diagram of "one of the navy's new ships". A viewer could "zoom in down to the captain's chair and see that it's, you know, 1 metre away from nav chair", Clarke said.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/secret-f-35-p-8-c-130-data-stolen-in-australian-defence-contractor-hack/
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
How many people does it take to keep a secret?

One...after that, it ain't.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis