Author Topic: Harvey Weinstein and the Silence of the Men  (Read 249 times)

Offline Hoodat

Harvey Weinstein and the Silence of the Men
« on: October 10, 2017, 06:13:58 pm »
Harvey Weinstein and the Silence of the Men

By LENA DUNHAM     |     OCT. 9, 2017

I went to Hollywood when I was 23. I had made a low-budget film, won an award at a prestigious festival, scored an agent and made a TV deal all within six months. It was a fairy tale most people will never experience, and I knew, as well as a 23-year-old can know anything, that I was getting a pretty great deal. I bounced from meeting to meeting with the joy of Cinderella at the ball.

These meetings, almost always with men, were rife with acts of everyday sexism — the presumption that I must want to make small “intimate” movies, a suggestion that I write a comedy focused on “the way women’s periods sync up and they go crazy for a week,” the insistence that I’d be “really funny paired with a hot girl.” There were dinners that went on too long, work lunches that turned into confessions about the broken state of the film executive’s marriage and the consistent insistence that I must, as my work suggests, be “up for anything in bed.”

I took it in stride, unloading the day’s injustices on the couch of my new friend (and now my work partner), Jenni Konner. She told me maddening stories of her own ascent and we plotted a new world for ourselves. We imagined a set run by women, men who wouldn’t dream of overstepping or underpaying, a company where girls stretched as far as the eye could see, the chance to write scripts that changed people’s perceptions of feminine identity. We would tell any man who thought that was an invitation for sex to go eat a shoe. The men we have worked with — like Judd Apatow, Hollywood’s least sleazy guy — have showed us utter respect. The only terrifying producer rage I ever experienced was from a gay man who tried to take back a purse he had bought me. We got to do all that we had dreamed of and more.

This past week, reports that Harvey Weinstein had sexually harassed women for years came to light, making it crystal clear that not every woman in Hollywood has had the chance to walk our path. Abuse, threats and coercion have been the norm for so many women trying to do business or make art. Mr. Weinstein may be the most powerful man in Hollywood to be revealed as a predator, but he’s certainly not the only one who has been allowed to run wild. His behavior, silently co-signed for decades by employees and collaborators, is a microcosm of what has been happening in Hollywood since always and of what workplace harassment looks like for women everywhere.  .  .  .

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/09/opinion/harvey-weinstein-lena-dunham-silence-.html

Hey Lena, you knew he was a Democrat.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Harvey Weinstein and the Silence of the Men
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 06:48:45 pm »
Geesh, I've heard of Diarrhea of the mouth, this is Diarrhea of the keyboard. 

Lena, honey, you're not hearing anything from "the men" because 1) You aren't listening and 2) we have nothing to say to you.  You'd just mock us in reply.  I'd be better off talking to a brick wall, at least then I can say I spoke with something attractive today.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 07:03:33 pm »
So the girl who goes naked every chance she gets and then some is suddenly worried about silence?   We've been asking her to shut up for several years.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 07:06:03 pm »
These meetings, almost always with men, were rife with acts of everyday sexism

Hey you fat slob. Your "everyday sexism" only occurs in LA, DC and NYC. The rest of the country that ignores you seems to be operating on a far more civil tone.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 07:11:25 pm »
Kinda ironic for her to get on the high horse after molesting a close relative, which was her younger sister I believe.

This is all you Lena. These are high profile liberals. The only thing I'm going to do is revel in the schadenfreude.
The Republic is lost.