Author Topic: Message v. Messenger: The Trump Enigma  (Read 733 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Message v. Messenger: The Trump Enigma
« on: October 10, 2017, 01:19:55 pm »
Message v. Messenger: The Trump Enigma
American Greatness, Oct 9, 2017, Victor Davis Hanson

<snip>

The usual conservative status quo complaint against Trump is that the deficiencies of the messenger outweigh the many positives of the message. Or Trump, the person, nullifies the policies that have accompanied Trump into power.

They are embarrassed that someone from their own party has a vocabulary that focuses on about four adjectives (“tremendous,” “great,” “awesome,” “wonderful,” etc.), or that he often exaggerates and errs in a manner of Barack Obama, though without the latter’s mellifluousness or Ivy League brand.

The Republican establishment used to lament that the old Reagan Democrats, Tea Party types, and working-class whites of the Midwest had stayed home in 2008 and 2012, and thus allowed good candidates like John McCain and Mitt Romney to be steamrolled by Obama’s fatuous “hope and change” identity politics. Now they are either worried or shamed that these same swing voters came out in droves and left the Republican Party in a dominant position at the local, state, and federal level not seen since the 1920s.

More:  https://amgreatness.com/2017/10/09/message-v-messenger-the-trump-enigma/

Re: Message v. Messenger: The Trump Enigma
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 01:34:37 pm »
Conservatives have no interest in the "working class" great unwashed. They ARE embarrassed by the voters who elected Donald Trump, just as they are embarrassed by the President himself.

Conservatives are interested in winning arguments with and being accepted by the liberal intelligentsia. They do not understand that rolling up one's sleeves and getting their hands dirty is part of building something. This is why Donald Trump is an enigma to them and why he embarrasses and frightens them in equal measure.

Actually doing something for the people, actually making sausage ... is below Conservatives' perceived intellect and pay grade.

Conservatives are as elitist as any liberal.  And about as helpful.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 01:35:44 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 02:09:40 pm »
Interesting ... conservatives won't defend themselves --- they really like being elitist tools. 

Oceander

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 02:16:11 pm »
/snicker

Silver Pines

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 03:19:37 pm »
The adoration is strong in this one.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 03:56:04 pm »
Conservatives have no interest in the "working class" great unwashed. They ARE embarrassed by the voters who elected Donald Trump, just as they are embarrassed by the President himself.

Idiocy. Conservatives ARE the working class, and always have been. That's why they are centered in the heartland, far away from elite cities.

Conservatives are interested in winning arguments with and being accepted by the liberal intelligentsia. They do not understand that rolling up one's sleeves and getting their hands dirty is part of building something. This is why Donald Trump is an enigma to them and why he embarrasses and frightens them in equal measure.

More bullshit. Conservatives are happy to build. But they build Conservative things. Principled things.
I am not embarrassed by Tump.  I am offended by him, and his NYC values, and his constantly shifting agenda. Neither am I embarrassed by his psychophantic worshipers. Again, it is offense, that they would attempt to hijack the Conservative mantle and shear it of the very principles it is made of. They can't do it, of course, but it is an offense that they would try.

Actually doing something for the people, actually making sausage ... is below Conservatives' perceived intellect and pay grade.

Maybe try adding a good dose of Conservative principle, founded in truth, and see then how Conservatives react. Your problem is that your movement (and I use that term in the most bathroom-oriented sense) is not Conservative. You are singing a different song, demanding a change in tune that will never happen.

Conservatives are as elitist as any liberal.  And about as helpful.

I told you so.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 03:57:58 pm by roamer_1 »

Online roamer_1

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 03:59:21 pm »
Interesting ... conservatives won't defend themselves --- they really like being elitist tools.

What is there to defend? The entire screed and it's accusations, are utter pap. Flatulent whining.

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 06:52:45 pm »
What is there to defend? The entire screed and it's accusations, are utter pap. Flatulent whining.

So the dozens of threads dissecting the President's every word for the embarrassment of the day and references to the LIV who think Donald Trump is a god are figments of my imagination?

Rather than flatulent whining, the author presents a very real, clear and what should be alarming portrayal of the anti-Trump conservative political class.  Dare I say ... it's a breath of fresh air.

Even the posts on this thread prove "conservatives" are too elitist to discuss how they are perceived and examine their true motivations.

Disappointing.  But not a surprise.

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2017, 06:54:42 pm »
.... More bullshit. Conservatives are happy to build. But they build Conservative things. Principled things.

I am not embarrassed by Tump.  I am offended by him, and his NYC values, and his constantly shifting agenda. Neither am I embarrassed by his psychophantic worshipers. Again, it is offense, that they would attempt to hijack the Conservative mantle and shear it of the very principles it is made of. They can't do it, of course, but it is an offense that they would try.

Thank you. This is brilliant.  You just proved the author's thesis....even adding self-righteous to his litany of observations.  ^-^

« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 06:57:09 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Online roamer_1

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2017, 07:12:10 pm »
Even the posts on this thread prove "conservatives" are too elitist to discuss how they are perceived and examine their true motivations.

Total nonsense. There are virtual REAMS of people explaining to you why they are against your movement as a matter of principle... And there are reams of you telling them what they should think instead. Just like the putrid essence of this article.

Conservatives, via the TEA Party, functionally took over almost all the legislatures and almost all the governorships in this country, and you say that they won't 'roll up their sleeves and get their hands dirty?' Bullshit, pure and simple.

You've been told over and over and over again. Conservatives fight for Conservative principles, not for people. not for parties.

There is no enigma here. there is no mystery. You are not promoting Conservative principles, and your icon does not wear the Conservative mantle. You won a piss poor campaign with no coattails and no mandate, on a sack full of lies, and now you wonder why people won't fall in line.

Not my circus, not my monkey.
And again, I told you so.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2017, 07:13:41 pm »
Thank you. This is brilliant.  You just proved the author's thesis....even adding self-righteous to his litany of observations.  ^-^

Blah blah blah. Whatever.

Silver Pines

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2017, 08:14:43 pm »
So the dozens of threads dissecting the President's every word for the embarrassment of the day and references to the LIV who think Donald Trump is a god are figments of my imagination?

Rather than flatulent whining, the author presents a very real, clear and what should be alarming portrayal of the anti-Trump conservative political class.  Dare I say ... it's a breath of fresh air.

Disappointing.  But not a surprise.

@Right_in_Virginia

I'm not too worried about how I'm perceived.

But I'm really thankful that I'm not deceived.

Offline Concerned

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2017, 08:47:34 pm »
Yes, I’m often embarrassed by this President. I’m embarrassed by his near-constant lying. I’m embarrassed by his childish nicknames for others. I’m embarrassed by his immature need to attempt to publicly settle every little perceived slight. I’m worried about his impulsiveness. I worry about his apparent unwillingness to dive into many of the details of key policy issues.

When Trump does something I think is praiseworthy, I praise him. Similarly, when he does something deserving of criticism, I criticize. It’s a simple concept for the truly objective. Not so simple to those fully indoctrinated into the Trump Cult. He generally acts like a boorish, impulsive, child IMO. That doesn’t mean he can’t do good; he has done some good, but his childish tirades aren’t good for him or the country IMO, and I’m often embarrassed by his words and actions.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 12:24:27 am by Concerned »
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2017, 11:01:44 pm »
Thank God I have RiV and VDH around to tell me what my opinion should be.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2017, 12:58:50 am »
Thank God I have RiV and VDH around to tell me what my opinion should be.

Don't judge VDH too harshly, RiV hijacked him this time. He's usually on the money.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2017, 12:59:34 am »
Yes, I’m often embarrassed by this President. I’m embarrassed by his near-constant lying. I’m embarrassed by his childish nicknames for others. I’m embarrassed by his immature need to attempt to publicly settle every little perceived slight. I’m worried about his impulsiveness. I worry about his apparent unwillingness to dive into many of the details of key policy issues.

When Trump does something I think is praiseworthy, I praise him. Similarly, when he does something deserving of criticism, I criticize. It’s a simple concept for the truly objective. Not so simple to those fully indoctrinated into the Trump Cult. He generally acts like a boorish, impulsive, child IMO. That doesn’t mean he can’t do good; he has done some good, but his childish tirades aren’t good for him or the country IMO, and I’m often embarrassed by his words and actions.

Well said.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.