Author Topic: South Korea Phones the North Twice a Day. No One Answers  (Read 602 times)

Offline DemolitionMan

South Korea Phones the North Twice a Day. No One Answers
« on: October 09, 2017, 05:17:12 am »
KIM TONG-HYUNG

Every day, South Korea's Unification Ministry sends officials to the border village of Panmunjom to call North Korea at 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. For more than 18 months, the North hasn't picked up.

As North Korea steps up its nuclear weapons tests and threats, the Unification Ministry, dedicated to improving relations with the North and eventual peaceful reunification, faces an almost existential crisis.

Not long ago the ministry was one of Seoul's most powerful departments. It had central roles in engineering two historic summits between the leaders of the two Koreas and launching joint economic projects in the 2000s. That is mostly gone after nearly a decade of hard-line conservative rule in the South, and a rapid expansion of missile and nuclear weapons development in the North.

The nuclear problem has become much larger than just a Korean Peninsula issue. North Korea has launched midrange missiles over Japan and flight-tested intercontinental ballistic missiles, confirming fears that it's close to its goal of building a military arsenal that can target the United States and its Asian allies.

The world has responded by stepping up sanctions and military pressure on Pyongyang. In South Korea, the most important decisions on North Korea now come from the president's office and the defense and foreign ministries. The Unification Ministry has been mostly left to issuing boilerplate denouncements of Pyongyang's weapons tests and propaganda outbursts.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-10-03/north-korea-tension-sidelines-south-s-unification-ministry
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Offline DemolitionMan

Re: South Korea Phones the North Twice a Day. No One Answers
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 06:03:01 am »
That is not a very good sign.
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 07:30:37 am »
BWEEE DEE BWEEP!
"We're sorry but the number you have dialed has been changed or has been disconnected. If you feel you have reached this message in error...."
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 07:31:03 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 08:41:58 am »
BWEEE DEE BWEEP!
"We're sorry but the number you have dialed has been changed or has been disconnected. If you feel you have reached this message in error...."

That is probably what he gets,

:thumbsup3:
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 08:42:27 am by DemolitionMan »

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 10:50:15 pm »
Do they have cawrer ID?
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.