Author Topic: Where are Millennials moving? The answer may surprise you  (Read 1425 times)

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Where are Millennials moving? The answer may surprise you
« on: October 09, 2017, 01:28:44 am »
It’s no secret that young people are getting married and starting families later in life than their parents did. It is, however, a bit of a secret where they are choosing to settle down.

Big cities and their big employers have always attracted young workers, and that’s still true. But a combination of factors — sky-high home prices chief among them — have sent Millennials across the country looking for alternatives. Unlikely places like Ohio and North Dakota have benefitted.

Read more at: https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/personalfinance/2017/10/07/where-millennials-moving-answer-may-surprise-you/734212001/

-------

Millennials are a weird weird generation. All over the map, hard to pin down, probably because most of them grew up post-internet and don't have a singular national culture that has been the rule since WWII. Sometimes though they swerve in the right direction.

Also they're for good or bad more influenced by the enviromentalist propaganda of their youth, plus they are getting on with their lives and what they can afford. Between abundant 4-lanes and online ordering, you don't need to live in a congested metropolis to have amenities anymore. You can have the best of both worlds, and millenials like their options.

Whatever it is, it's good for smaller town America.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 01:29:23 am by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline KingsX

• Be yourself. No one can say you're doing it wrong.
Re: Where are Millennials moving? The answer may surprise you
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 01:36:50 am »

I live in the middle of a huge metropolis... but everything I need is within a 5 mile radius.
So for me it's like living in a small community.  And in spite of home values here increasing
the past few years,  it's still a bargain compared to both extreme coasts.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 01:42:47 am »
I think there is more to it that economy.
I think millenials are searching for Mayberry.
There's a ton of them out here, and those I have spoken to are looking for a better life for their children. Chores and home schooling... A few acres, a cow and a garden.

But then that's the kind that come to seek me out anyway, so I might be wrong. But it seems so, and I like it.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 03:24:28 am »
I think there is more to it that economy.
I think millenials are searching for Mayberry.
There's a ton of them out here, and those I have spoken to are looking for a better life for their children. Chores and home schooling... A few acres, a cow and a garden.

But then that's the kind that come to seek me out anyway, so I might be wrong. But it seems so, and I like it.

I've seen the same thing. There's a big subset that have kind of went to the edge and took a few steps back. They've realized their childhood of 25 years ago was pretty good and they miss it.  They'll give up the urban life for the intangibles.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 03:56:06 am »
10. Pottsville, Penn.: 48%

An hour outside Harrisburg, Pottsville is home to Yuengling, now the largest locally owned brewery in America. Like many rural Pennsylvania towns, Pottsville is struggling and slowly losing population — it’s down from almost 17,000 in 1990 to just under 14,000 now, but with young buyers taking up residence here, that could change in the near future.

Pottsville is a shithole with no jobs and is near nothing to make a living other than the crap beer plant. No one is moving there. The place looks as backwards as it did 30 years ago. This article is a cobbled together mess of random facts fighting to be relevant. I call bullshit.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 12:14:41 pm »
Most of these are college towns and oil boomtowns. What's so surprising about any of this?
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online roamer_1

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 04:47:47 pm »
I've seen the same thing. There's a big subset that have kind of went to the edge and took a few steps back. They've realized their childhood of 25 years ago was pretty good and they miss it.  They'll give up the urban life for the intangibles.

It really is significant - while almost everyone else is trying to live 'virtually', they are leaning on the wisdom of their grandparents and putting their feet in the shit and their hands in the dirt... and finding the true treasures that this world provides...

It's a beautiful thing.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2017, 05:17:20 pm »
I was hoping "out of their parents' basements" was gong to be the answer.
 :laugh:

In all seriousness, though, I think it's awesome that they are trending more toward Smalltown, USA.  In general, that's a pretty good place to find solid conservative values.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2017, 08:56:13 pm »

Pottsville is a shithole with no jobs and is near nothing to make a living other than the crap beer plant. No one is moving there. The place looks as backwards as it did 30 years ago. This article is a cobbled together mess of random facts fighting to be relevant. I call bullshit.

I had to do a double-take on that one.  Thought it said "Pottersville."
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: