Author Topic: The Computer That Predicted the U.S. Would Win the Vietnam War  (Read 1078 times)

Offline corbe

The Computer That Predicted the U.S. Would Win the Vietnam War
The Atlantic
Alexis C. Madrigal
1 hr ago

At just about the halfway point of Lynn Novick and Ken Burns’s monumental documentary on the Vietnam War, an army advisor tells an anecdote that seems to sum up the relationship between the military and computers during the mid-1960s.

“There’s the old apocryphal story that in 1967, they went to the basement of the Pentagon, when the mainframe computers took up the whole basement, and they put on the old punch cards everything you could quantify. Numbers of ships, numbers of tanks, numbers of helicopters, artillery, machine gun, ammo—everything you could quantify,” says James Willbanks, the chair of military history at U.S. Army Command and General Staff College. “They put it in the hopper and said, ‘When will we win in Vietnam?’ They went away on Friday and the thing ground away all weekend. [They] came back on Monday and there was one card in the output tray. And it said, 'You won in 1965.’”

<..snip..>

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/the-computer-that-predicted-the-us-would-win-the-vietnam-war/ar-AAsWbnj?li=AA4Zpp&ocid=ientp
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline unite for individuality

• I think, therefore I am... a misfit!
Re: The Computer That Predicted the U.S. Would Win the Vietnam War
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 07:57:35 pm »
War has many factors that are not so easy to quantify, like,
"How motivated is the enemy?" and
"How clueless are our commanders?"
I.E., "Are our forces being commanded by bean counters?"
If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion,
mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.
   -- John Stuart Mill

Here are the 10 RINOs who voted to impeach Trump on Jan. 13, 2021 - NEVER forget!
WY  Liz Cheney      SC 7  Tom Rice             WA 4  Dan Newhouse    IL 16  Adam Kinzinger    OH 16  Anthony Gonzalez
MI 6  Fred Upton    WA 3  Jaime Herrera Beutler    MI 3  Peter Meijer       NY 24  John Katko       CA 21  David Valadao

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 08:01:33 pm »
The US won it.

South Vietnam lost it.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 08:24:42 pm »
The US won it.

South Vietnam lost it.
The Democrat Congress lost it.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 08:28:39 pm »
The Democrat Congress lost it.

That too,  but it was their country, they should have done a better job.  Maybe not pissing off the Buddhist majority would have been a good start.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 08:49:22 pm »
That too,  but it was their country, they should have done a better job.  Maybe not pissing off the Buddhist majority would have been a good start.
Politically, yes, but what would have stopped the invasion by the north's armored columns and massed troops would have been air power, and that was the plug the Dems pulled. The North knew this and exploited a weakness that had not been there while we were supporting the South.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis