Author Topic: Bowe Bergdahl expected to plead guilty to deserting his post  (Read 1421 times)

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Bowe Bergdahl expected to plead guilty to deserting his post
« on: October 06, 2017, 03:18:14 pm »
Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl is expected to plead guilty soon to desertion and misbehavior before the enemy rather than face trial for leaving his Afghanistan post.

That's according to two individuals with knowledge of the case.

They tell The Associated Press that Bergdahl will submit the plea later this month and sentencing will start Oct. 23. The individuals weren't authorized to discuss the case and demanded anonymity.

The 31-year-old Bergdahl could face up to five years in prison on the desertion charge and a life sentence for misbehavior.
Bergdahl left his Afghanistan post in 2009 and was held captive by the Taliban for about five years. He was released in 2014 in a prisoner swap for five Taliban detainees, sparking an emotional debate about negotiating with hostage takers.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/10/06/bowe-bergdahl-expected-to-plead-guilty-to-deserting-his-post-ap.html
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Online Hoodat

Re: Bowe Bergdahl expected to plead guilty to deserting his post
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 05:21:13 pm »
Life + five years.  Works for me.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 05:27:09 pm »
Life + five years.  Works for me.

Considering the lives that were lost looking for his sorry @ss after he deserted his post...life + 5 is too good for him.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 05:45:04 pm »
Plead guilty to "Misbehavior"? Is this the military's equivalent to "Disorderly Conduct"?

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 07:23:01 pm »
Plead guilty to "Misbehavior"? Is this the military's equivalent to "Disorderly Conduct"?

Disertion and misbehavior in the face of the enemy is about as bad as charges come in the military.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline musiclady

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 07:31:19 pm »
If memory serves correctly, Obama traded a number of dangerous terrorists for this traitor.

Do we know how many troops they (i.e. Bergdahl, Obama and the terrorists) have killed??
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 07:44:07 pm »
A reminder:

Statement by the President on the Release of Sergeant Bowe Bergdahl

Rose Garden

6:16 P.M. EDT

THE PRESIDENT:  Good afternoon, everybody.  This morning, I called Bob and Jani Bergdahl and told them that after nearly five years in captivity, their son, Bowe, is coming home.

Sergeant Bergdahl has missed birthdays and holidays and the simple moments with family and friends, which all of us take for granted.  But while Bowe was gone he was never forgotten.  His parents thought about him and prayed for him every single day, as did his sister, Sky, who prayed for his safe return.

He wasn’t forgotten by his community in Idaho, or the military, which rallied to support the Bergdahls through thick and thin.  And he wasn’t forgotten by his country, because the United States of America does not ever leave our men and women in uniform behind.

As Commander-in-Chief, I am proud of the servicemembers who recovered Sergeant Bergdahl and brought him safely out of harm’s way.  As usual, they performed with extraordinary courage and professionalism, and they have made their nation proud.

Right now, our top priority is making sure that Bowe gets the care and support that he needs and that he can be reunited with his family as soon as possible.

I'm also grateful for the tireless work of our diplomats, and for the cooperation of the government of Qatar in helping to secure Bowe’s release.  We've worked for several years to achieve this goal, and earlier this week I was able to personally thank the Emir of Qatar for his leadership in helping us get it done.  As part of this effort, the United States is transferring five detainees from the prison in Guantanamo Bay to Qatar.  The Qatari government has given us assurances that it will put in place measures to protect our national security.

I also want to express gratitude to the Afghan government, which has always supported our efforts to secure Bowe’s release. Going forward, the United States will continue to support an Afghan-led process of reconciliation, which could help secure a hard-earned peace within a sovereign and unified Afghanistan.

As I said earlier this week, we're committed to winding down the war in Afghanistan, and we are committed to closing Gitmo.  But we also made an ironclad commitment to bring our prisoners of war home.  That's who we are as Americans.  It's a profound obligation within our military, and today, at least in this instance, it's a promise we've been able to keep.

I am mindful, though, that there are many troops who remain missing in the past.  That's why we're never going to forget; we're never going to give up our search for servicemembers who remain unaccounted for.  We also remain deeply committed to securing the release of American citizens who are unjustly detained abroad and deserve to be reunited with their families, just like the Bergdahls soon will be.

Bob and Jani, today families across America share in the joy that I know you feel.  As a parent, I can't imagine the hardship that you guys have gone through.  As President, I know that I speak for all Americans when I say we cannot wait for the moment when you are reunited and your son, Bowe, is back in your arms.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2017, 07:45:58 pm »
If memory serves correctly, Obama traded a number of dangerous terrorists for this traitor.

Do we know how many troops they (i.e. Bergdahl, Obama and the terrorists) have killed??

No way to ever know that but if justice were to be truly served Obama would be on trial for treason IMHO.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 07:46:24 pm by Bigun »

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline musiclady

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2017, 07:48:21 pm »
No way to ever know that but if justice were to be truly served Obama would be on trial for treason IMHO.

I completely agree.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2017, 07:48:27 pm »
A reminder:

Statement by the President on the Release of Sergeant Bowe Bergdahl

Rose Garden

6:16 P.M. EDT

THE PRESIDENT:  Good afternoon, everybody.  This morning, I called Bob and Jani Bergdahl and told them that after nearly five years in captivity, their son, Bowe, is coming home.

Sergeant Bergdahl has missed birthdays and holidays and the simple moments with family and friends, which all of us take for granted.  But while Bowe was gone he was never forgotten.  His parents thought about him and prayed for him every single day, as did his sister, Sky, who prayed for his safe return.

He wasn’t forgotten by his community in Idaho, or the military, which rallied to support the Bergdahls through thick and thin.  And he wasn’t forgotten by his country, because the United States of America does not ever leave our men and women in uniform behind.

As Commander-in-Chief, I am proud of the servicemembers who recovered Sergeant Bergdahl and brought him safely out of harm’s way.  As usual, they performed with extraordinary courage and professionalism, and they have made their nation proud.

Right now, our top priority is making sure that Bowe gets the care and support that he needs and that he can be reunited with his family as soon as possible.

I'm also grateful for the tireless work of our diplomats, and for the cooperation of the government of Qatar in helping to secure Bowe’s release.  We've worked for several years to achieve this goal, and earlier this week I was able to personally thank the Emir of Qatar for his leadership in helping us get it done.  As part of this effort, the United States is transferring five detainees from the prison in Guantanamo Bay to Qatar.  The Qatari government has given us assurances that it will put in place measures to protect our national security.

I also want to express gratitude to the Afghan government, which has always supported our efforts to secure Bowe’s release. Going forward, the United States will continue to support an Afghan-led process of reconciliation, which could help secure a hard-earned peace within a sovereign and unified Afghanistan.

As I said earlier this week, we're committed to winding down the war in Afghanistan, and we are committed to closing Gitmo.  But we also made an ironclad commitment to bring our prisoners of war home.  That's who we are as Americans.  It's a profound obligation within our military, and today, at least in this instance, it's a promise we've been able to keep.

I am mindful, though, that there are many troops who remain missing in the past.  That's why we're never going to forget; we're never going to give up our search for servicemembers who remain unaccounted for.  We also remain deeply committed to securing the release of American citizens who are unjustly detained abroad and deserve to be reunited with their families, just like the Bergdahls soon will be.

Bob and Jani, today families across America share in the joy that I know you feel.  As a parent, I can't imagine the hardship that you guys have gone through.  As President, I know that I speak for all Americans when I say we cannot wait for the moment when you are reunited and your son, Bowe, is back in your arms.

Thanks!  I'm going to go throw up now.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2017, 08:00:29 pm »

At least 6 died in the search for him after he was discovered missing.

The OP he was stationed at was almost completely overrun after he disappeared and there was an uptick of IED attacks against unit vehicles after he deserted.

Offline Rivergirl

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2017, 08:02:03 pm »
So much for Justice for our troops who risked their lives searching for this traitor.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2017, 08:05:23 pm »

The OP he was stationed at was almost completely overrun after he disappeared and there was an uptick of IED attacks against unit vehicles after he deserted.

Not only an uptick in IEDs, but they were targeted attacks. It was if they knew our routes and tactics. They knew what we were doing and where we were going to be. They were waiting for us. Coincidence of course...
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2017, 08:18:49 pm »

And again.......... didn't Obama release dangerous terrorists in trade for this creep?  We can add however many THEY killed to the total. (A number we don't know).

Online Hoodat

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2017, 08:21:45 pm »
Considering the lives that were lost looking for his sorry @ss after he deserted his post...life + 5 is too good for him.

Agreed.  The preferred sentence here is death by hanging.  But with the plea deal, the maximum he can get is life.  So just make sure he serves the 5 year sentence AFTER he serves the life sentence.  None of that early parole BS like John Hinkley got for an assassination attempt on a US President.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2017, 08:24:07 pm »

Not only an uptick in IEDs, but they were targeted attacks. It was if they knew our routes and tactics. They knew what we were doing and where we were going to be. They were waiting for us. Coincidence of course...

When the base was almost completely overrun by Taliban like three days after he disappeared...they got into the bas viw gaps in the jersey barriers that had previously only been known to the U.S. troops operating there.

Wonder how that happened?

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2017, 08:28:27 pm »
And again.......... didn't Obama release dangerous terrorists in trade for this creep?  We can add however many THEY killed to the total. (A number we don't know).

Yes he did.  Even though he and SecDef Grassley denied it and trotted out known liar Susan Rice to call Berghdal a hero.

The Taliban we released to get this traitor back almost immediately started trying to establish contact with their buddies downrange.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2017, 01:12:35 am »
We should probably be glad he's going to prison at all.

If o'er-the-hillary had won, he'd probably be released, or... pardoned.