Author Topic: 'If you can take an hour of exercise and squeeze it into one minute, there's a price to pay': High-intensity workouts are not sustainable, says professor – because they're unpleasant  (Read 1638 times)

rangerrebew

'If you can take an hour of exercise and squeeze it into one minute, there's a price to pay': High-intensity workouts are not sustainable, says professor – because they're unpleasant

Dr Panteleimon Ekkekakis says HIIT is not sustainable for majority of people
    He is an expert in how our bodies and brains respond to exercise
    Advocates of HIIT argue it helps busy people squeeze in a decent workout
    But professor says we only stick to exercise if it's an enjoyable part of our lives

By Claudia Tanner For Mailonline

Published: 09:56 EDT, 4 October 2017 | Updated: 21:34 EDT, 4 October 2017

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-4948270/High-intensity-workouts-WON-T-work-people.html#ixzz4uj6WUSuY
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Offline Applewood

Well, I can vouch for that.  I tried high impact aerobics and it dang near killed me.  These days, the most intense exercise I do is walking at 2 mph. 

Offline skeeter

When younger I exercised for looks. Now I do it to stay healthy. It has nothing to do with enjoyability.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 06:29:19 pm by skeeter »

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
I absolutely hate 'formal' exercise, be it high intensity or just normal gym type workouts. It is just boring. I would rather work my ass off outside in the garden or go for a 10 mile nature walk than sit on an exercise bike.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Well, I can vouch for that.  I tried high impact aerobics and it dang near killed me.  These days, the most intense exercise I do is walking at 2 mph. 

Yup,  I try to walk at least 10,000 steps a day.   Not run - I know too many folks my age for whom years of running have led to hip and knee replacements.   I'm one of those who subscribe to the notion of everything in moderation (kinda like my politics  :seeya:  )   
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 06:57:41 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Polly Ticks

I absolutely hate 'formal' exercise, be it high intensity or just normal gym type workouts. It is just boring. I would rather work my ass off outside in the garden or go for a 10 mile nature walk than sit on an exercise bike.

Exactly!  I'll run my rear-end off for a couple of hours on a tennis court, but otherwise the only time I'm running is if something is chasing me.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline aligncare

I’ve run most my life. But with the years, I’ve accumulated lower extremity injuries, last year it was my foot and ankle. I haven’t walked without pain since. Because of that I’ve had to re-learn to walk, focusing on balance and coordination. I started doing exercises that I designed—I’m semi-retired chiropractor, so I’m very much attuned to my own body.

My routine combines yoga with playground equipment. The multitude of angled cross bars and posts allow for total body stretching and strengthening. I concentrate on joint flexibility and range of motion, also extension movements using the bars for support and assist.

Without lifting weights or paying for gym membership, I’ve managed to tone and sculpt my shoulders, chest and arms, hips, buttocks and legs. At 66, I look pretty good. I still have this nagging plantar fasciitis pain that’s slow to resolve, but my shoulders, hips, knees, neck and back have never been stronger (even with my 40-year history of LBP).

I was thinking of hiring a video crew and putting a program together. City parks can be a great resource and I’d like to see more seniors using the playgrounds. There’s got to be a market for such a video among the forever-young baby-boomer crowd.

Offline skeeter

I’d probably be picked up by the police if I tried doing yoga on the monkey bars in my neighborhood.

I too ran for decades and now have no cartilage in L1 &  L5. Wish I’da know’d.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 08:34:56 pm by skeeter »

Offline Polly Ticks

I still have this nagging plantar fasciitis pain that’s slow to resolve [...]

Ugh.  If you figure out a miracle cure for that one, please do let me know.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Polly Ticks

Offline RoosGirl

Interesting.  And it theoretically works on tennis elbow, too, so that's a bonus!

It can pretty much be used on any soft tissue injury, from what I understand.

Oceander

I’ve run most my life. But with the years, I’ve accumulated lower extremity injuries, last year it was my foot and ankle. I haven’t walked without pain since. Because of that I’ve had to re-learn to walk, focusing on balance and coordination. I started doing exercises that I designed—I’m semi-retired chiropractor, so I’m very much attuned to my own body.

My routine combines yoga with playground equipment. The multitude of angled cross bars and posts allow for total body stretching and strengthening. I concentrate on joint flexibility and range of motion, also extension movements using the bars for support and assist.

Without lifting weights or paying for gym membership, I’ve managed to tone and sculpt my shoulders, chest and arms, hips, buttocks and legs. At 66, I look pretty good. I still have this nagging plantar fasciitis pain that’s slow to resolve, but my shoulders, hips, knees, neck and back have never been stronger (even with my 40-year history of LBP).

I was thinking of hiring a video crew and putting a program together. City parks can be a great resource and I’d like to see more seniors using the playgrounds. There’s got to be a market for such a video among the forever-young baby-boomer crowd.

That’s a really good idea!  I mean it.  If you’ve got a good routine you should definitely look into creating a program.

Offline goodwithagun

Have you heard of k laser treatments? I'm impressed with what that little machine did for my stress fracture.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 11:03:44 pm by goodwithagun »
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
888high58888 I agree!

I was asked in college to go work out with a couple guys from the dorm who were athletes. They were amazed that I really had no idea how to work the weight machines. I got the muscles I had from throwing hay bales, working in tobacco fields, and working heavy construction, but had never lifted weights. (I found that boring as hell.)
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

No Pain, No Gain. Leaving the house now for a 4 mile walk (as I do almost every day). Off day will be trip to gym for exercise cycle. 

I ran 8+ miles, cycled, swam and lifted weights every day for nearly 25 years, then dialed back to biking and walking.

No medicines whatsoever. No drugs or alcohol. No special diet. Soon turn 70 yrs. of age. 
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
No Pain, No Gain. Leaving the house now for a 4 mile walk (as I do almost every day). Off day will be trip to gym for exercise cycle. 

I ran 8+ miles, cycled, swam and lifted weights every day for nearly 25 years, then dialed back to biking and walking.

No medicines whatsoever. No drugs or alcohol. No special diet. Soon turn 70 yrs. of age.
I generally get my exercise doing things, and don't do selected exercises or gym stuff. I'm  a little younger, but no medicines, drugs, or alcohol, no special diet, either. I eat what I crave, and generally that has some sort of peppers in it (jalapeno for flavor, cayenne and habanero for heat), and red meat. So far, so good.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis