Author Topic: As temperatures fall, heart attacks rise  (Read 929 times)

rangerrebew

As temperatures fall, heart attacks rise
« on: October 04, 2017, 05:13:03 pm »
As temperatures fall, heart attacks rise
By Mary Elizabeth Dallas, HealthDay   | 0 comments | 16 Shares | September 12, 2017

If the cold weather makes you shiver, your blood vessels and heart may be quivering, too—and that may be enough to trigger a heart attack in some people, new research suggests.

The study found that more heart attacks occur when temperatures drop below freezing, suggesting people with plaques in their coronary arteries may not cope well with the body’s response to cold.

https://healthbeat.spectrumhealth.org/as-temperatures-fall-heart-attacks-rise/

Offline thackney

Re: As temperatures fall, heart attacks rise
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 05:34:30 pm »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 07:59:38 pm »
Why seniors move to the sunbelt?

Offline Applewood

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 09:24:09 pm »
My Dad died from shoveling snow.  He got cocky.  Cardiologist told him a month earlier he was fine --took Dad off some of his meds, etc. Dad thought that meant he was now invincible.  That day in March was not only cold, but very windy too.  The actual temperature might have been in the 30s, but the wind chill was much lower.  Anyway, Dad started shoveling for a few minutes, then the chest pains started. He made it back into a covered patio, took one of his nitro pills, but it was too late. 

I have heart problems too.  Cardiologist said don't go outside for more than a minute or two if the temperature is below 40 or above 80.   I listen to my doctor.  And I pay a guy to shovel the snow.

Offline thackney

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 12:07:52 pm »
My Dad died from shoveling snow.  He got cocky.  Cardiologist told him a month earlier he was fine --took Dad off some of his meds, etc. Dad thought that meant he was now invincible.  That day in March was not only cold, but very windy too.  The actual temperature might have been in the 30s, but the wind chill was much lower.  Anyway, Dad started shoveling for a few minutes, then the chest pains started. He made it back into a covered patio, took one of his nitro pills, but it was too late. 

I have heart problems too.  Cardiologist said don't go outside for more than a minute or two if the temperature is below 40 or above 80.   I listen to my doctor.  And I pay a guy to shovel the snow.

I am sorry @Applewood , I recognize the all too common risk associated with it.  I hope my cartoon didn't cause you more pain.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 12:57:44 pm »
Why seniors move to the sunbelt?

I grew up in Houston with no air-conditioning. Today I keep my thermostat @ 77-78 and lower it for the winter. When my son comes over and sneaks it down to 75, I catch a chill.
I stay acclimated to the heat by doing my own lawn work, even in the heat of the summer. I know that heat can kill too, so I always make it a point to stay conditioned to the heat.

I don't know if hot weather is a danger as well.

I don't like to be cold.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2017, 04:28:32 pm »
I am sorry @Applewood , I recognize the all too common risk associated with it.  I hope my cartoon didn't cause you more pain.

@thackney

Thank you.  No offense taken.  The circumstances of Dad's passing turned out to be an important lesson for me to use later in life.   I'm just trying to pass on that lesson to others who might think it's ok to shovel snow in bitter cold.

Offline thackney

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2017, 04:30:47 pm »
@thackney

Thank you.  No offense taken.  The circumstances of Dad's passing turned out to be an important lesson for me to use later in life.   I'm just trying to pass on that lesson to others who might think it's ok to shovel snow in bitter cold.

Thanks for passing that on.  It isn't a concern for me in the Houston area, but I've lived where it was needed.  It is a real concern, especially wet and heavy stuff.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2017, 04:32:45 pm »
I grew up in Houston with no air-conditioning. Today I keep my thermostat @ 77-78 and lower it for the winter. When my son comes over and sneaks it down to 75, I catch a chill.
I stay acclimated to the heat by doing my own lawn work, even in the heat of the summer. I know that heat can kill too, so I always make it a point to stay conditioned to the heat.

I don't know if hot weather is a danger as well.

I don't like to be cold.

Heat could be dangerous too depending on age and heart health.  As I said, my cardiologist said too much heat could kill me too, but then again, I'm 64 and already have heart problems.  Maybe you are younger and can take the heat better than I. 

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2017, 04:33:05 pm »
I have a snow blower.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2017, 04:38:44 pm »
I have a snow blower.

Good idea.  My brother's wife bought one for him over his objections.  My brother had a mild cardiac event in April of last year, and while he seems to be ok, his wife did not like him shoveling their extensive driveway and sidewalk.  Brother grumbled, but eventually, he grew to like it. 

I have a short driveway and walk.  Not really worth having a snow blower.