Author Topic: Mueller’s Team Is Reportedly Researching Trump’s Pardon Power  (Read 1525 times)

Offline endicom

Daily Caller
Chuck Ross
Oct. 3, 2017

Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s top legal aide is researching what powers President Trump may have to pardon any of his associates caught up in the ongoing Russia investigation.

According to Bloomberg News, Michael Dreeben, deputy solicitor general and former Justice Department appeals lawyer, is researching past pardon cases to what limits might exist on Trump’s ability to grant pre-emptive pardons to his associates. Dreeben is also tasked with making sure that Mueller’s investigative moves are legally sound.

More... http://dailycaller.com/2017/10/03/muellers-team-is-reportedly-researching-trumps-pardon-power/

Investigation? What investigation?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: Mueller’s Team Is Reportedly Researching Trump’s Pardon Power
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 09:21:44 pm »
Why is this their responsibility? 

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 09:24:39 pm »
Not much to research, just a couple of very clear lines in the Constitution they can't over-ride.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 09:27:46 pm »
So they are trying to figure out a way to evade him.  Means they aren't going after him.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline endicom

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 09:29:21 pm »
Why is this their responsibility?

I don't see that it is.

They are supposed to be investigating Russian interference in the 2016 election. What they are doing is looking for ways to nail someone connected to the Trump campaign and only the Trump campaign.

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2017, 09:33:06 pm »
Pardons and commutations by a POTUS are absolute, no review and no limitations. But what business is that of the shenanigan court of the special counsel?
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline endicom

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2017, 09:34:28 pm »
So they are trying to figure out a way to evade him.  Means they aren't going after him.

I don't think that's right. They need the threat of prosecution to turn someone against Trump. If Trump will pardon who they would turn then they lose that leverage.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2017, 09:34:40 pm »

I don't see that it is.

They are supposed to be investigating Russian interference in the 2016 election. What they are doing is looking for ways to nail someone connected to the Trump campaign and only the Trump campaign.

Exactly!

Offline endicom

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2017, 09:35:59 pm »
Pardons and commutations by a POTUS are absolute, no review and no limitations. But what business is that of the shenanigan court of the special counsel?

It's the business of Congress.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2017, 09:36:44 pm »

Not completely absolute but the exception(s) are very narrow- impeachment or not against the United States (don't know how they'll play the latter unless they make it a civil or State case and argue those don't apply).

The President...shall have Power to grant Reprieves and Pardons for Offences against the United States, except in Cases of Impeachment.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2017, 09:46:05 pm »
Mueller is nothing more, than another arm of the Resistance, including far left politicians, educators, courts and judges, educators and the media.

IOW everybody is trying to find legal (and quasi-legal) means to obstruct, block, delay and impede Trump's actions.

It would be nice to have more help from the GOP.

BTW what precisely is Kasich's gripe with Trump and the GOP per his recent foray into the limelight?
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2017, 12:19:16 am »

Not quite. I think one of the framers says d that impeachment is the proscription for the president abusing his veto powers. If trump starts pardoning everyone involved in the Russia thing then the case for impeachment becomes stronger.

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2017, 03:16:18 am »
Not quite. I think one of the framers says d that impeachment is the proscription for the president abusing his veto powers. If trump starts pardoning everyone involved in the Russia thing then the case for impeachment becomes stronger.
Impeachment only works if one party has a solid super majority in today’s political world. If partisan politics were in play as the founding fathers thought, then it might be a limitation
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2017, 07:55:41 am »
Impeachment only works if one party has a solid super majority in today’s political world. If partisan politics were in play as the founding fathers thought, then it might be a limitation

I doubt the GOP would hang tough with Trump if he started pardoning indicted people left and right. The public would be outraged.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2017, 08:36:15 am »
I doubt the GOP would hang tough with Trump if he started pardoning indicted people left and right. The public would be outraged.

Only if the media told them to be
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Offline jpsb

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2017, 12:13:30 pm »

For there to be a pardon, there must first be a conviction of a serious crime. Do tell, what crime is Mueller investigating?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 12:14:03 pm by jpsb »

Offline endicom

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2017, 12:52:17 pm »
Do tell, what crime is Mueller investigating?

Any he can find.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2017, 12:58:27 pm »
More of Mueller trying to look relevant to his MSM pals. He has no authority over pardons and no business trying to thwart them.

If anyone needed any proof the Mueller is a political hack and incompetent, right here it is.