Author Topic: Rush: Hannah Arendt’s Prediction on Violence in Modern Society  (Read 750 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

Hannah Arendt’s Prediction on Violence in Modern Society

Oct 3, 2017

RUSH: Now, a lot of people are still asking about motivation. We don’t know. It’s still a matter of speculation because nobody talked to the guy beforehand to hear his grievances.

But I want to share something I ran across at Intellectual Takeout today. This is a think piece, and it’s just a possibility that somebody is applying to this after having read some philosophy by a noted philosopher by the name of Hannah Arendt, A-r-e-n-d-t. She lived from 1906 to 1975. She was a German American political theorist. She wrote extensively on totalitarianism, and she predicted before she died that modern society would see a surge of domestic violence and social unrest for a specific reason.

Hannah ArendtSo I thought that it would be interesting to go back and find out what she predicted. Or, better stated, why she predicted it. Again, she was an expert on totalitarianism. She predicted that modern American society would see a surge of domestic violence and social unrest. She is highly reputed, Hannah Arendt. Some people pronounce it Arendt. But she was noted for understanding the power and psychology of violence. She was considered one of the twentieth century’s greatest thinkers.

She escaped Germany during the Holocaust and found refuge in America where she became a visiting scholar at some of America’s finest academic institutions. She was the first female lecturer at Princeton. So here is her theory that she espoused years ago in predicting things like this.

more
https://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2017/10/03/hannah-arendts-prediction-on-violence-in-modern-society/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Re: Rush: Hannah Arendt’s Prediction on Violence in Modern Society
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 07:30:58 pm »
Noting to read later. Hannah Arendt is not one to just take in a brief sitting and high level conclusions. Her writing is layer upon layer of an onion like philosophy and you have to be careful reading your own views into her writing.

From a general skimming of Rush's column and the IT article he took it from, they seem to be glossing over some of the real deep parts of what she discussed in The Banality of Evil (I have a feeling Republicans will dislike it as much as Democrats). They also seem to be latching on to the common misconception that violence and societal breakdown is getting worse, when statistically speaking, it is just the opposite- we are just given more of a view of it due to the internet and 24/7/multiple channel news cycles.