Author Topic: A North Korean ship was seized off Egypt with a huge cache of weapons destined for a surprising buyer  (Read 1097 times)

Offline DemolitionMan

By Joby Warrick

Last August, a secret message was passed from Washington to Cairo warning about a mysterious vessel steaming toward the Suez Canal. The bulk freighter named Jie Shun was flying Cambodian colors but had sailed from North Korea, the warning said, with a North Korean crew and an unknown cargo shrouded by heavy tarps.

Armed with this tip, customs agents were waiting when the ship entered Egyptian waters. They swarmed the vessel and discovered, concealed under bins of iron ore, a cache of more than 30,000 rocket-propelled grenades. It was, as a United Nations report later concluded, the “largest seizure of ammunition in the history of sanctions against the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea.”

But who were the rockets for? The Jie Shun’s final secret would take months to resolve and would yield perhaps the biggest surprise of all: The buyers were the Egyptians themselves.

A U.N. investigation uncovered a complex arrangement in which Egyptian business executives ordered millions of dollars worth of North Korean rockets for the country’s military while also taking pains to keep the transaction hidden, according to U.S. officials and Western diplomats familiar with the findings. The incident, many details of which were never publicly revealed, prompted the latest in a series of intense, if private, U.S. complaints over Egyptian efforts to obtain banned military hardware from Pyongyang, the officials said.

It also shed light on a little-understood global arms trade that has become an increasingly vital financial lifeline for North Korean leader Kim Jong Un in the wake of unprecedented economic sanctions.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/a-north-korean-ship-was-seized-off-egypt-with-a-huge-cache-of-weapons-destined-for-a-surprising-buyer/2017/10/01/d9a4e06e-a46d-11e7-b14f-f41773cd5a14_story.html?utm_term=.81e175efeff1
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
So, if the RPGs get confiscated by customs, can the Egyptians keep them, and not pay for them? (Seized contraband)
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline DemolitionMan

So, if the RPGs get confiscated by customs, can the Egyptians keep them, and not pay for them? (Seized contraband)

Egypt gets $ 2 billion dollars and other aid under the Camp David Accord. Just cut them off or add more strings attached. If you want the aid cut off all ties with North Korea
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Offline DemolitionMan

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Egypt gets $ 2 billion dollars and other aid under the Camp David Accord. Just cut them off or add more strings attached. If you want the aid cut off all ties with North Korea
Well, that isn't good, with our (tax) money being bounced to the DPRK for weapons. Which I was wondering if the Egyptians can confiscate the cargo, or if the 'check' already went through.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline DemolitionMan

Well, that isn't good, with our (tax) money being bounced to the DPRK for weapons. Which I was wondering if the Egyptians can confiscate the cargo, or if the 'check' already went through.

Correction. They get $ 1 billion dollars a year in military aid since Camp David and I guess another $1 billion in assistance. And the check has already cleared. Israel is the biggest receiver of aid by the United States.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 05:37:18 am by DemolitionMan »

Offline DemolitionMan

This is what the DPRK ship looks like
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 05:53:10 am by DemolitionMan »

Offline Suppressed

From other sources, I read that Egypt took delivery but was then forced to destroy the weapons under UN oversight.  I still haven't found out whether the payment went through to the Norks, but it looks that way.  I also have read that Trump has cut military aid to Egypt in response.

No confirmation on any of this, though.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn