Author Topic: These Are the Fruits and Vegetables You Should Always Buy Organic  (Read 591 times)

rangerrebew

These Are the Fruits and Vegetables You Should Always Buy Organic

Check this out before finalizing your grocery list.
Liz Steelman, Real Simple
March 09, 2017

You might want to think twice before purchasing conventionally grown strawberries, spinach, or nectarines. According to a new report from the Environmental Working Group (EWG), these foods are the most likely to be contaminated with synthetic pesticide residue.

http://www.health.com/syndication/dirty-dozen-foods-ewg-2017

Offline andy58-in-nh

Re: These Are the Fruits and Vegetables You Should Always Buy Organic
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 01:51:39 pm »
You might want to think twice before purchasing conventionally grown strawberries, spinach, or nectarines. According to a new report from the Environmental Working Group (EWG), these foods are the most likely to be contaminated with synthetic pesticide residue.
Just to let you know who these folks are, and who funds their efforts. Click embedded link above or below:

http://www.discoverthenetworks.org/groupProfile.asp?grpid=6928
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Applewood

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 02:23:45 pm »
I really don't care. I'll buy organic or conventional -usually whatever is on sale.

I did read somewhere that "organic" isn't really well defined and that some products labeled as "organic" might not be. 

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 03:00:53 pm »
I really don't care. I'll buy organic or conventional -usually whatever is on sale.

I did read somewhere that "organic" isn't really well defined and that some products labeled as "organic" might not be.

I care. Like many, many people, my health was destroyed - and didn't begin to return till I got away from the American food chain. What happened to me is subjective, and I could not prove any causal agent. But the recovery is not. The more I leave the grocery store behind, and eschew pre-processed boxed foods and high production/low nutrition fruits and vegetables. and go to scratch-built and organic garden fresh, the more my health returns.

Mamma was right.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 03:06:18 pm »
Organic is just a way to get people to pay more for the same things.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 03:06:45 pm »
That's why I recommend growing it if you can.
The Republic is lost.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2017, 03:22:48 pm »
Some items are just impossible to find in organic.  Some are prohibitively expensive.  But most of the time, especially in produce, the organic is a better quality; the fruit actually tastes like the fruit it's supposed to taste like.  The most notable visual difference can be seen in eggs.  Buy a store brand egg and buy a high quality organic/pastured egg.  The high quality egg is a bright, golden yellow orange, just like home grown eggs.  The store brand egg is pale yellow.  Seems to me the biggest bang for your buck is in organic meat; no injected hormones or antibiotics.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2017, 03:27:05 pm »
Organic is just a way to get people to pay more for the same things.

No, I assure you that is not true.
If you are paying more, then you are doing it wrong.
My normal diet comes mostly from local food and local gardens, and while labor intensive, is almost cost free.
The lion's share of what i can't get locally, comes off the Azure truck in bulk, but reasonable in cost. Spices for instance are STUPID cheap off the truck. I think 2 pounds of basil cost me something like 10 bucks. I don't quite remember, because 2 pounds of basil was bought a couple years ago, and I probably won't need more for a long while yet.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2017, 03:30:45 pm »
Some items are just impossible to find in organic.  Some are prohibitively expensive.  But most of the time, especially in produce, the organic is a better quality; the fruit actually tastes like the fruit it's supposed to taste like.  The most notable visual difference can be seen in eggs.  Buy a store brand egg and buy a high quality organic/pastured egg.  The high quality egg is a bright, golden yellow orange, just like home grown eggs.  The store brand egg is pale yellow.  Seems to me the biggest bang for your buck is in organic meat; no injected hormones or antibiotics.

Tomatoes are another biggie. I couldn't even believe how much more flavor they had, the first time I went garden fresh... Brought me back to my boyhood, sitting on my grandma's porch in Wamego KS, with a beefsteak tomato in one hand, and a salt shaker in the other.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2017, 03:37:49 pm »
Tomatoes are another biggie. I couldn't even believe how much more flavor they had, the first time I went garden fresh... Brought me back to my boyhood, sitting on my grandma's porch in Wamego KS, with a beefsteak tomato in one hand, and a salt shaker in the other.

I would normally agree except for the last batch of organic cherry tomatoes I got at the store.  They were on sale, so the same price as the regular tomatoes, so I got a couple pints of them.  But they taste awful.  They're very sour/bitter.  Never had anything like it. 

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2017, 03:44:48 pm »
I would normally agree except for the last batch of organic cherry tomatoes I got at the store.  They were on sale, so the same price as the regular tomatoes, so I got a couple pints of them.  But they taste awful.  They're very sour/bitter.  Never had anything like it.

:shrug: prolly picked green. I just got a mess of green tomatoes from a lady who planted out late... I am gonna fry em up... If I let em ripen off the vine, they won't be that good. And they WILL be good fried up.