Author Topic: Bolton: U.S. Should Support Independence for Kurds, ‘State of Iraq as We Have Known It Doesn’t Exist Anymore’  (Read 439 times)

Online corbe

Bolton: U.S. Should Support Independence for Kurds, ‘State of Iraq as We Have Known It Doesn’t Exist Anymore’

by John Hayward
28 Sep 2017

Former U.N. Ambassador John Bolton joined SiriusXM host Raheem Kassam and co-host Steve Bannon on Thursday’s Breitbart News Daily to talk about Kurdish independence and the future of Iraq.

“The Kurds are one of the largest ethnic groups in the world that has never had a nation in contemporary times,” Bolton explained. “Just two days ago, they held a referendum in Iraqi Kurdistan and voted well over 90 percent for independence. I think the United States should support independence for the Kurds. They’ve been friends of ours in the struggle against Saddam Hussein and the struggle against international terrorism. I think they’d be an important buffer against Iran.”

“And let’s face it: the state of Iraq as we have known it doesn’t exist anymore, and it’s not coming back together,” he added. “The Baghdad government is controlled by the ayatollahs from Tehran. The American strategy to defeat ISIS, which has relied so heavily on the Baghdad government, I think has been a mistake.”

“I think it’s a mistake for the State Department now, as it did before the referendum, to tell the Kurds ‘don’t hold it,’ and opposing now the inevitable consequences. They’re now going to be de jure independent,” said Bolton.

<..snip..>

http://www.breitbart.com/radio/2017/09/28/bolton-u-s-support-independence-kurds-state-iraq-known-doesnt-exist-anymore/
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I'll be interested to see opinions on this.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
I agree with Mr. Bolton's assessment.

The Kurds are of the very very few groups of muslims who have acted friendly towards The West.

Couple this fact with the fact that the boundaries of Iraq were drawn up [essentially] by the Brits who cared little about tribal/ethnic loyalties, and there really isn't much reason for it to continue existing with the present boundaries.

I say, "break it up"...

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Unfortunately, Turkey seems to feel like they have to have a say in this.

Reportedly, they killed a bunch of Kurd fighters in the last few days per airstrikes. Turkey will say they hit the terrorist part of the Kurdish fighters, the PKK I assume.

http://www.middleeasteye.net/news/turkey-kills-13-pkk-fighters-iraqi-kurdistan-1269613063
Turkey kills 13 PKK fighters in Iraqi Kurdistan
Military strike comes amid Kurdish independence referendum that voters overwhelmingly approved

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I agree with Mr. Bolton's assessment.

The Kurds are of the very very few groups of muslims who have acted friendly towards The West.

Couple this fact with the fact that the boundaries of Iraq were drawn up [essentially] by the Brits who cared little about tribal/ethnic loyalties, and there really isn't much reason for it to continue existing with the present boundaries.

I say, "break it up"...
Yep. The Kurds got split 4 ways by that partition. At times I think such disregard for tribal boundaries was done intentionally to keep every political division rife with internal conflict and too preoccupied with that to become a major force.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis