Author Topic: Lard is the New Coconut Oil  (Read 6623 times)

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Lard is the New Coconut Oil
« on: September 28, 2017, 06:27:58 pm »
I cook everything in lard — sweet potatoes, steak, chicken, and everyhing in between.

I guess you could call me a “lard ass.”

I’m far from fat, though. In fact, I’m the leanest, strongest and healthiest I’ve ever been.

Read more at: http://returntonow.net/2017/09/26/lard-new-coconut-oil/

----

Grandma used to soak chicken in milk and fry it in lard - and I have never had better chicken since.
The Republic is lost.

Online roamer_1

Re: Lard is the New Coconut Oil
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 08:55:25 pm »
I cook everything in lard — sweet potatoes, steak, chicken, and everyhing in between.

I guess you could call me a “lard ass.”

I’m far from fat, though. In fact, I’m the leanest, strongest and healthiest I’ve ever been.

Read more at: http://returntonow.net/2017/09/26/lard-new-coconut-oil/

----

Grandma used to soak chicken in milk and fry it in lard - and I have never had better chicken since.

Beef tallow. You'll never go back to lard.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 09:02:26 pm »
Beef tallow. You'll never go back to lard.

85% Beef Tallow and 15% Cottonseed oil was how McDonalds used to cook their fries when they didn't taste like shit. Then the food Nazis got involved and everyone started getting fat with their substitute oils.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 09:12:45 pm »
85% Beef Tallow and 15% Cottonseed oil was how McDonalds used to cook their fries when they didn't taste like shit. Then the food Nazis got involved and everyone started getting fat with their substitute oils.

That's right... Tallow has a real high smoke point... The best thing EVAH in a deep fryer. Or just use it in the pan like you would lard or bacon grease... Except it's mo' bedda... Yeah, better than bacon grease.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2017, 04:18:56 pm »
Does the tallow have a neutral flavor?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2017, 04:21:19 pm »
That's right... Tallow has a real high smoke point... The best thing EVAH in a deep fryer. Or just use it in the pan like you would lard or bacon grease... Except it's mo' bedda... Yeah, better than bacon grease.

Better than bacon fat?  I may have to try it.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2017, 04:28:29 pm »
Does the tallow have a neutral flavor?

Oh, not at all.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2017, 04:44:44 pm »
Oh, not at all.

So you wouldn't want to use it in things that are supposed to be sweeter, like pie crusts?

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2017, 04:45:10 pm »
Oh, and where do you get yours from?

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2017, 04:47:06 pm »

A cow. It's called BEEF tallow. Geez. Get with the program.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2017, 04:59:07 pm »
A cow. It's called BEEF tallow. Geez. Get with the program.

@Frank Cannon Have another beer!

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2017, 05:03:39 pm »
@Frank Cannon Have another beer!

Madam, might I suggest you stop drinking. Not knowing where beef tallow comes from is a bit embarrassing.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2017, 05:11:40 pm »
Madam, might I suggest you stop drinking. Not knowing where beef tallow comes from is a bit embarrassing.

Your first comment actually made me LOL.  I *might* by slightly embarrassed by my question.  But, here in the rural suburbs of the big city we actually have no butcher that I trust to get good quality beef fat from and render it myself.  I know you can order the fancy stuff from Amazon, but it's way more expensive than beef tallow should be; something like $15/lb.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2017, 05:17:00 pm »
Your first comment actually made me LOL.  I *might* by slightly embarrassed by my question.  But, here in the rural suburbs of the big city we actually have no butcher that I trust to get good quality beef fat from and render it myself.  I know you can order the fancy stuff from Amazon, but it's way more expensive than beef tallow should be; something like $15/lb.

LOL. It's around, you just have to dig. Here is almost 2 lbs for $12....

https://grasslandbeef.com/beef-tallow-small-pail

Online roamer_1

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2017, 07:49:26 pm »
So you wouldn't want to use it in things that are supposed to be sweeter, like pie crusts?

I liked my mom's biscuits better with beef tallow than with lard (pork tallow)... I like the beef flavor way better than anything else - Though I am not a baker. And I tend toward Crisco or butter in what baking I do.

As for where, I make my own. I get the suet for free, most times, or for near nothing from my butcher... I bring em a 5 gallon bucket and ask for it, and come back next week...

Then you need a hot plate and a dutch oven. Chop the suet up fairly small, and fill up the dutch oven... take the whole mess outside under a roof and set it to a low heat... Stir it now and then, and somewhere between 6 and 9 hrs, you'll have cracklin on the top. That's when it's done. Scrape it off and pour it through a cheesecloth... Have some preheated Mason jars ready and pour it off into em. Should be brilliantly clear amber liquid... Shove the lids on and let em cool overnight... It turns white. About 3 quarts out of a big cast pot. 5 gallons of suet returns about 6 quarts in two passes.

Oh, and the outside part - the sh*t is rank while the suet is cookin down. and that greasy funk don't rub off easy. Do it outside.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2017, 08:42:35 pm »
I liked my mom's biscuits better with beef tallow than with lard (pork tallow)... I like the beef flavor way better than anything else - Though I am not a baker. And I tend toward Crisco or butter in what baking I do.

As for where, I make my own. I get the suet for free, most times, or for near nothing from my butcher... I bring em a 5 gallon bucket and ask for it, and come back next week...

Then you need a hot plate and a dutch oven. Chop the suet up fairly small, and fill up the dutch oven... take the whole mess outside under a roof and set it to a low heat... Stir it now and then, and somewhere between 6 and 9 hrs, you'll have cracklin on the top. That's when it's done. Scrape it off and pour it through a cheesecloth... Have some preheated Mason jars ready and pour it off into em. Should be brilliantly clear amber liquid... Shove the lids on and let em cool overnight... It turns white. About 3 quarts out of a big cast pot. 5 gallons of suet returns about 6 quarts in two passes.

Oh, and the outside part - the sh*t is rank while the suet is cookin down. and that greasy funk don't rub off easy. Do it outside.

Thanks for the info.  I read up on how to render fat a couple years ago and everything I read said it stinks, so I will definitely do it outside in the dutch oven if I ever get the fat that I need.

We've pretty much gone to eating grass-fed beef and skip the conventional stuff.  So that is why I say I don't have a butcher that I trust to get meat from.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 08:43:50 pm by RoosGirl »

Online roamer_1

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2017, 08:55:22 pm »

Thanks for the info.  I read up on how to render fat a couple years ago and everything I read said it stinks, so I will definitely do it outside in the dutch oven if I ever get the fat that I need.

We've pretty much gone to eating grass-fed beef and skip the conventional stuff.  So that is why I say I don't have a butcher that I trust to get meat from.

Well, I probably said that a bit wrong... My 'butcher' is my buddy, and he owns a meat processing plant.
He hand picks the beef he buys from local ranchers. All Angus, all grass fed, though not necessarily organic rated. This meat was raised up right.

That's the suet I get. And it's no skin off his nose. He's paid pennies a pound by the rendering truck... so no real loss to set some aside for me. And believe it or not, it works out, because he has another feller that wants the kidneys - typically I would have to get the kidneys out of the suet, but it is a simple thing for him to do, and get the saleable kidneys, and I get professionally chopped up suet... It's all good.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2017, 09:27:17 pm »
Well, I probably said that a bit wrong... My 'butcher' is my buddy, and he owns a meat processing plant.
He hand picks the beef he buys from local ranchers. All Angus, all grass fed, though not necessarily organic rated. This meat was raised up right.

That's the suet I get. And it's no skin off his nose. He's paid pennies a pound by the rendering truck... so no real loss to set some aside for me. And believe it or not, it works out, because he has another feller that wants the kidneys - typically I would have to get the kidneys out of the suet, but it is a simple thing for him to do, and get the saleable kidneys, and I get professionally chopped up suet... It's all good.

Yeah, I can't afford grass-fed *and* organic.  Nice to have a buddy like you have!  We bought a split quarter a couple years back.  Maybe I'll try contacting those folks and see if I can get a bucket.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2017, 10:24:18 pm »
I like this best

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2017, 10:29:32 pm »
In that case it wasn't all the food nazis, some "more important than anyone else" Hindu sued over the shortening because they couldn't eat the fries due to their sub minority religion and MickyD's folded like a wet blanket, of course all this crap was allowed to happen after Ray Kroc died. I think if Ray had still been alive he might have told the Hindu "Don't have a cow man!"
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 10:38:27 pm by GtHawk »

RAT Patrol

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2017, 10:33:49 pm »
In that case it wasn't all the food nazis, some "more important than anyone else" Hindu sued over the shortening because they couldn't eat the fries due to their sub minority religion and MickeyD's folded like a wet blanket, of course all this crap was allowed to happen after Ray Kroc died. I think if Ray had still been alive he might have told the Hindu "Don't have a cow man!"

I don't care about McD fries.  If I hate them that is good.  Too many calories.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2017, 10:41:50 pm »
I don't care about McD fries.  If I hate them that is good.  Too many calories.
It's not about how good or bad something tastes, it's about self control, you either have it or don't and no one else is to blame. There are certain foods, flavors that I just lack the self control to deal with in moderation but I don't blame the purveyor of them for my failing.

RAT Patrol

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2017, 10:47:19 pm »
It's not about how good or bad something tastes, it's about self control, you either have it or don't and no one else is to blame. There are certain foods, flavors that I just lack the self control to deal with in moderation but I don't blame the purveyor of them for my failing.

True.  Good reminder.  But I don't see that I blamed anyone.  I just said that it is noting to me if they taste bad because it makes them less tempting.  So even those with little self-control are more tempted by yummy food than by stuff they think tastes bad.  No blaming.

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2017, 10:50:54 pm »

When I cook a steak in an iron skillet (and finish it off in the oven), I trim some of the fat and render it in the pan to cook the steak in.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2017, 11:04:06 pm »
When I cook a steak in an iron skillet (and finish it off in the oven), I trim some of the fat and render it in the pan to cook the steak in.

Yeah, that's right...

Even a hamburger. Put some tallow in the pan, sear it off both sides, and then out to the grill. Crazy good flavor...