Author Topic: Parasite From Contact Lens Causes Woman to Lose Vision in One Eye  (Read 600 times)

rangerrebew

Parasite From Contact Lens Causes Woman to Lose Vision in One Eye
« on: September 28, 2017, 09:38:31 am »
Parasite From Contact Lens Causes Woman to Lose Vision in One Eye
By Sara G. Miller, Staff Writer | September 21, 2017 04:28pm ET

A woman in Australia lost vision in her left eye due to a decade-long parasite infection, the Daily Mail reported yesterday (Sept. 20).

The woman's infection was caused by a microscopic parasite called Acanthamoeba, according to the Daily Mail.

https://www.livescience.com/60487-parasite-contact-lens-solution.html

Offline Applewood

Re: Parasite From Contact Lens Causes Woman to Lose Vision in One Eye
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 01:37:22 pm »
Glad I never had contacts.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 02:08:12 pm »
The only time I've every heard of this is when you don't clean them properly or leave them in too long.  Some people are idiots.   Heck didn't she get a checkup on her eyes during that time?
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 02:37:44 pm »
The only time I've every heard of this is when you don't clean them properly or leave them in too long.  Some people are idiots.   Heck didn't she get a checkup on her eyes during that time?

My distaste for contacts goes back to the day when only hard lenses were available.  Friends and I were riding along, when the driver stopped suddenly.  One of her contacts had popped out and we spent several minutes tearing up the car looking for it.  I also figured all the solutions, cases and the general care required just weren't worth the money and aggravation. 

My brother has had the disposable ones, and he thought they were great.  But these days, as he gets closer to 70, he finds he needs reading glasses for close work. Sort of like, why bother having contacts? 

I've developed retinopathy.  My eyes are so bad, I can't get prescription glasses.  Was told just buy a pair of readers at the drugstore.  So I doubt at this late date, I could get contacts even if I wanted them.  I've had glasses since I was 7 years old.  Doesn't really bother me.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 02:58:04 pm »
  I've had glasses since I was 7 years old.  Doesn't really bother me.

@Applewood
I got glasses in the 6th grade.   I got the eye surgery PRK about 10 years ago and it was one of the best decision I ever made.   Took me 6 months to stop reaching for my glasses when I woke up  though.  blind as a bat to 20/15 vision

Prior to that I wore glasses and contacts.   Those were challenging when scuba diving or doing other active things.   Now no fogging up in the cold,  no falling off, no breaking, scratching or other stuff.  I have noticed Ive started to have trouble seeing things close and in dim light.   

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 03:22:10 am »
Drift wrote:
"I got the eye surgery PRK..."

I understand the "eye surgery" part, but what is "PRK"...?

Having said that, I could never understand how people would want to have something in contact with the front of their eyes. I couldn't tolerate that.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2017, 03:25:22 am »
I'm curious about the surgery too...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2017, 01:42:35 pm »
Drift wrote:
"I got the eye surgery PRK..."

I understand the "eye surgery" part, but what is "PRK"...?

Having said that, I could never understand how people would want to have something in contact with the front of their eyes. I couldn't tolerate that.

@Fishrrman @Smokin Joe

You've heard of Lasik right?  I've forgotten all the details but basically they reshape the eye to improve your vision.    Its been done world wide for about 50 years including in Russia.    The eye doctors kept it out of the US until about 20 years ago because they preferred to sell glasses.

There are a couple of different types of surgeries they do.  One they make incisions in the eyeball to make it more spherical, thus improving the eyesight.  Thats not done as much any more.   The one I had involved cutting a flap off my cornea (thats the clear part in front), moving that flap to the side and using a laser to reshape the lens, then putting the flap back.    They use a tiny machine kinda like those old credit card machines, the ones that you swiped left and then back to make an imprint of your credit card on the carbon copy paper.    Only this has a blade that cuts the flap and the machine is attached to your eyeball. 

Sounds horrible but they deaden your eye so you dont feel it.  You do smell the burning eyeball which is kinda freaky.  The entire process takes about 45 seconds per eye and is painless in itself.   Once the anesthetic wears off it feels like you have sand in your eye and it hurts moderately.   You have to keep your eyes pretty much closed for a day but its fully healed in a about 3 days.   You have to wear these stupid glasses at night to prevent you from rubbing your eyes but after about a week you are normal.  The worst part is they showed the procedure on a big TV in the waiting room.  Luckily I was first of the day and didnt see it.

I had 20/600 and 20/550 with a moderate astigmatism before the surgery about 15 years ago.   I've had 20/15 ever since.       Slight difficulty at night where I get reflections from car headlights where they cut the cornea but its minor.    Recently I've started having a little trouble seeing up close and in low light but thats probably due to getting old.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2017, 02:00:55 pm »
Thanks!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2017, 03:07:49 pm »
Maybe it's easy to get, but it sounds like it was due to not changing lenses and keeping them clean.

Which if I lived in Austrailia The Land Of Everything That Kills You, I'd be very strict about.
The Republic is lost.