Author Topic: Shapiro On Fox News: 'We're In A Vortex Of Stupid...To Pretend Trump Started This Is Ridiculous'  (Read 801 times)

rangerrebew

Shapiro On Fox News: 'We're In A Vortex Of Stupid...To Pretend Trump Started This Is Ridiculous'

ByDaily Wire
September 26, 2017

On Monday night, Daily Wire Editor-in-Chief Ben Shapiro appeared on Fox News Tonight with host Dana Perino and radio host Richard Fowler to discuss the controversy between President Trump and NFL players who have used the playing of the national anthem as a time to protest. When Fowler kept insisting that the protests were justified because of endemic racism among police, Shapiro pointed out the tiny percentage of shootings of unarmed blacks in the country. Shapiro also pointed out that using the national anthem as a means of protest was singularly ineffective, as it was highly unpopular among Americans.

http://www.dailywire.com/news/21526/shapiro-fox-daily-wire

Silver Pines

This must be a mistake.  I was told that Shapiro is a rabid Never Trumper.

Offline anubias

He is. Guess he got new orders.

Silver Pines

Offline skeeter

He is. Guess he got new orders.

Shapiro finds himself in the same frame of mind as many here - he dislikes leftists more than he dislikes Trump. As he should.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
@CatherineofAragon
He wrote this on National Review's website Tuesday:

[P]utting aside the principle, this was obviously smart politics for Trump: Kaepernick’s National
Anthem protest is wildly unpopular by polls. And Trump figured, correctly, that the Left would rush
to the defense of those protesting the anthem. The Left, convinced its own base would cheer such
a defense, immediately engaged in the stupidest of all possible tactics: encouraging everyone to
kneel for the anthem. This, of course, led to precisely the war Trump wanted: Everyone against
him is also against the flag and the anthem; everyone for the flag and the anthem is also for him

So, who benefits from this culture war? Certainly not the country. Before the NFL, the media, and
Trump polarized the nation and decided that their own political and financial gain was more important
than the separation between sports and politics, there was a relative consensus on these issues:
Protesting the anthem and the flag is stupid, but players should be allowed to do it unless team
owners feel like firing them. Now that consensus is gone. Anyone who says protesting the anthem
is dumb is now labeled a knee-jerk jingoist with a Trumpist streak; anyone who says firing anthem
protesters is dumb is now labeled an anti-American sympathizer.
Viewers don’t benefit, either —
now they can’t escape politics. And nor does the NFL; its inconsistent approach to politics has
led to this impasse.

(Emphases added.---EA.)

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Have you viewed any of his talks? Seriously, the recent one at Berkeley was on YouTube.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline truth_seeker

Shapiro, attorney and constitutional expert, writes of the "separation between sports and politics."

It can be found in article 73, para VIII, sub. para c)2.d

It was added by voice vote, by Adam Pinkley, representative from the coloney of New Atlantic.

Silver Pines

@CatherineofAragon
He wrote this on National Review's website Tuesday:

(Emphases added.---EA.)

@EasyAce

Thanks for posting that; I read the article and thought it was fair.  What did you think?

Silver Pines

Have you viewed any of his talks? Seriously, the recent one at Berkeley was on YouTube.

@truth_seeker

I have, yes.  I listened to the Berkeley one  a few days ago.

Offline EasyAce

@EasyAce

Thanks for posting that; I read the article and thought it was fair.  What did you think?
@CatherineofAragon
I agree absolutely with you. I've always found Shapiro fair, no matter what he thought of
Donaldus Minimus from the outset. He gives Donaldus Minimus credit where and when
due but refuses to remove the too-well-deserved fire from Donaldus Minimus's feet.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Silver Pines

@CatherineofAragon
I agree absolutely with you. I've always found Shapiro fair, no matter what he thought of
Donaldus Minimus from the outset. He gives Donaldus Minimus credit where and when
due but refuses to remove the too-well-deserved fire from Donaldus Minimus's feet.

@EasyAce

I agree.  Shapiro's is one of the Twitter feeds I read daily; if Trump does something worth praising, Ben doesn't hesitate.  The evidence is right there for people to see, but I think they enjoy their outrage more than they want to know the truth.

Offline truth_seeker

@truth_seeker

I have, yes.  I listened to the Berkeley one  a few days ago.

Suffice it to say, I find Shapiro and Trump somewhat united, by common opponents.

Offline aligncare

Suffice it to say, I find Shapiro and Trump somewhat united, by common opponents.

Shapiro is an example that illustrates how being conservative is not a checklist. We do have differences of opinion. Not every conservative has the same boxes checked.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 11:26:18 pm by aligncare »

Offline EasyAce

@EasyAce

I agree.  Shapiro's is one of the Twitter feeds I read daily; if Trump does something worth praising, Ben doesn't hesitate.  The evidence is right there for people to see, but I think they enjoy their outrage more than they want to know the truth.
@CatherineofAragon
With too many people, that is true---you know, don't interrupt them with trivialities like the evidence.
I imagine it happens to people like David French, too, who will credit Trump when he earns it now and
then without agreeing concurrently to remove the well-deserved fire from his feet.

Silver Pines

@CatherineofAragon
With too many people, that is true---you know, don't interrupt them with trivialities like the evidence.
I imagine it happens to people like David French, too, who will credit Trump when he earns it now and
then without agreeing concurrently to remove the well-deserved fire from his feet.

@EasyAce

David French is another good source. 

It's still strange to me that cheerleading politicians is so important to conservatives now ---to the point that they insist others do it.

Offline EasyAce

@EasyAce

David French is another good source. 

It's still strange to me that cheerleading politicians is so important to conservatives now ---to the point that they insist others do it.
@CatherineofAragon
Well, all we can do is try to point them toward the path of good sense . . .