Author Topic: Five takeaways from the Alabama run-off  (Read 455 times)

Offline corbe

Five takeaways from the Alabama run-off
« on: September 27, 2017, 04:37:35 am »
Five takeaways from the Alabama run-off

By Niall Stanage - 09/26/17 11:39 PM EDT

President Trump and the GOP establishment took a hit on Tuesday, as former judge Roy Moore defeated incumbent Sen. Luther Strange (R-Ala.) to become the GOP’s nominee for December’s general election in the Yellowhammer State. 

Moore won a comfortable victory, despite Trump and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) backing Strange.

What were the main takeaways?

Trump backed the wrong man

Trump’s support for Strange always seemed incongruous.

Strange was seen as a creature of the establishment, both because he had the support of McConnell and because he had been appointed to the seat in the first place by scandal-plagued former Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley.

Strange, who does not have a surfeit of charisma, took the seat that was vacated when former Sen. Jeff Sessions became Trump’s attorney general.

Trump’s decision to back Strange in advance of the first stage of the GOP primary in early August was a controversial one, even among his allies.

Stephen Bannon, who was still Trump’s chief strategist at the time, was opposed to the move. Maverick GOP strategist and longtime Trump friend Roger Stone told The Hill on Monday that he believed Trump had been “conned” by liberal-leaning members of his own administration into backing Strange.

<..snip..>

http://thehill.com/homenews/the-memo/352614-five-takeaways-from-the-alabama-run-off
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline raml

Re: Five takeaways from the Alabama run-off
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 05:08:46 am »
Trump didn't take a hit this was an election about not backing McConnell and the establishment which Trump is not a part of. Trump just made a mistake or backed Strange due to pressure from McConnell we only disagreed with Trump not one iota of support was lost for him due to this election.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 11:05:51 pm »
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 01:28:03 am »
1. Trump backed the wrong man
2. A serious defeat for McConnell
3. Bragging rights for Bannon and Breitbart
4. Could more GOP senators eye the exit?
5. Moore could give GOP heartburn

Regarding #4, I certainly hope so.
Regarding #5, I certainly hope that he does.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 01:32:15 am »
[T]his was an election about not backing McConnell and the establishment which Trump is not a part of.

:silly:

Yes he is. How many Goldman-Sachs appointees to his administration before y'all see the light?

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 11:02:45 pm »

Yes he is. How many Goldman-Sachs appointees to his administration before y'all see the light?

I'm no longer able to view it in Them v Us/Establishment Overlords v Us, BECAUSE, we've been dragged so far down that road already that almost everyone with 10 cents to spend has already bought their way in.

Whatever laws/extra legal protections/exclusions in bills (Except in cases of) you can Buy them, doesn't seem to matter who you are.

The most positive shift away from that fascistic anarchy I've seen yet is the recent 2 for 1 requirement on new Federal Regulations.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/316839-trump-to-sign-order-reducing-regulations

We're gonna have to apply that model to everything in Govt if we ever want our lives and freedom back.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2017, 12:18:45 am »
We're gonna have to apply that model to everything in Govt if we ever want our lives and freedom back.

I will assure you I will be in a 'Throw the bastards out' mood in 2018... Hell I'm there right now.

All I know is that if the Freedom Caucus goes for it in the House, and Cruz, Lee, Paul, and Moore go for it in the Senate, I will probably like whatever it is. Otherwise, I flat don't like it, right out of the gate.

Offline DB

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2017, 12:30:44 am »
Rush: Moore's Victory Shows Trumpism Is Bigger Than Trump

http://dailycaller.com/2017/09/27/rush-moores-victory-shows-trumpism-is-bigger-than-trump/

That sounds a lot like global warming causes it to get cooler... In other words, an oxymoron...

On the other hand, populism has no leader. It is the nature of populism, it blows with the wind. It isn't based on principles so it isn't predictable. One day the masses can love you and the next they can hate you.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2017, 12:34:20 am »
I will assure you I will be in a 'Throw the bastards out' mood in 2018... Hell I'm there right now.

All I know is that if the Freedom Caucus goes for it in the House, and Cruz, Lee, Paul, and Moore go for it in the Senate, I will probably like whatever it is. Otherwise, I flat don't like it, right out of the gate.

I wish you would just accept the 70%!   :whistle:

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2017, 12:37:48 am »

4 more....possibly 5.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2017, 01:35:24 am »
I wish you would just accept the 70%!   :whistle:

I think you've misplaced a decimal...