Author Topic: The Illegal Activity of “Doxing”: Revealing “documents or personal information” about a person, without their permission, with the intent to Threaten, Harass, Intimidate, Shame, Humiliate or Place at Risk….  (Read 1316 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
From a 'right' source..

...“Doxing“ is a legal term that means revealing “documents” about a person. This can range from revealing the name of a person who uses an alias, but more commonly refers to revealing whatever the person doing it feels will harm, shame, humiliate, endanger, or put the person at some risk.   Doxing is a form of stalking or threatening and is illegal under many different federal and state laws, depending on the exact facts and location......

....Once you outline the address or location of a person, within which a person can be placed at risk, YOU have VIOLATED THE LAW.  PERIOD.

In all cases if you outline the physical location of any individual with the intent to harm, shame, stalk, humiliate, endanger, or otherwise compromise the safety and security of ANY individual you have placed that person in a position of risk and you are in violation of ALL State Stalking laws.....

https://theconservativetreehouse.com/2012/11/28/the-illegal-activity-of-doxing-revealing-documents-or-personal-information-about-a-person-without-their-permission-with-the-intent-to-threaten-harass-intimidate-shame-humiliate-or-place/

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
There is no moral equivalence here, @AbaraXas

You're getting desperate.   :laugh:

Unmasking the personal information of a forum member isn't the same thing as divulging the identities of criminals, who use bicycle locks as a bludgeon.   Or, even destroy public property in the name of protesting.

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline RoosGirl

Unmasking the personal information of a forum member isn't the same thing as divulging the identities of criminals, who use bicycle locks as a bludgeon.   Or, even destroy public property in the name of protesting.

You have info on a crime, report it to the police.  Fortunately, as of this writing, there are no formal "Thought Police".

Offline ABX

Actually, the other thread, as I pointed out and what was in the article, that wasn't just about divulging the identity of 'criminals', but it included divulging the identity of forum members and people who signed petitions. At what point does one justify it in their own mind that just having a different political opinion the same as being a criminal?  I've seen people here out and out say that this is a war and anyone who opposes the Trump agenda, is an enemy of this country. Taking belief that far, one can justify anything.

It even happened in Charlottesville by the left to 'out' people who were peacefully marching.  Example, someone was just seen at the rally in what someone thought was a branded shirt, so the left attempted to doxx that person with the company to get them fired, not for any criminal activity, but because of what they thought was their belief. One example:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/verizon-charlottesville_us_599605dfe4b0e8cc855c69ee

And weren't you the one (maybe I'm mixing you up with someone else), who about a year and a half ago, told us about a little circle of people on facebook attempting to dox members here because of opposition to a certain candidate and let us know because you thought it was wrong? 

Offline DCPatriot

You have info on a crime, report it to the police.  Fortunately, as of this writing, there are no formal "Thought Police".

"IF YOU SEE SOMETHING......SAY SOMETHING".

See how it works here?    :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline DCPatriot

Actually, the other thread, as I pointed out and what was in the article, that wasn't just about divulging the identity of 'criminals', but it included divulging the identity of forum members and people who signed petitions. At what point does one justify it in their own mind that just having a different political opinion the same as being a criminal?  I've seen people here out and out say that this is a war and anyone who opposes the Trump agenda, is an enemy of this country. Taking belief that far, one can justify anything.

It even happened in Charlottesville by the left to 'out' people who were peacefully marching.  Example, someone was just seen at the rally in what someone thought was a branded shirt, so the left attempted to doxx that person with the company to get them fired, not for any criminal activity, but because of what they thought was their belief. One example:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/verizon-charlottesville_us_599605dfe4b0e8cc855c69ee

And weren't you the one (maybe I'm mixing you up with someone else), who about a year and a half ago, told us about a little circle of people on facebook attempting to dox members here because of opposition to a certain candidate and let us know because you thought it was wrong?

Wasn't me, my friend.

Offline ABX

Wasn't me, my friend.

Probably so, I will need to dig through the 2-3 thousand emails I have here to find out.. I thought it was you, darn, I was holding you in esteem because of it, thought you were rising above all that.

Oceander

Divulging the identity of someone whom you believe committed a crime for a purpose other than reporting that alleged crime to the police can be extortion or abuse of process, depending on the facts. 

Offline DCPatriot

Probably so, I will need to dig through the 2-3 thousand emails I have here to find out.. I thought it was you, darn, I was holding you in esteem because of it, thought you were rising above all that.

Nope....  had nothing to do with any of it, thank you very much.  :shrug:

Offline ABX

"IF YOU SEE SOMETHING......SAY SOMETHING".

See how it works here?    :laugh:

I see you, Joe Smith, are on a political forum I don't like, being opposed to my political thought. I consider you an enemy of the State in my mind, a criminal. What you believe and say leads to the destruction of this nation.

Therefore, I am going to expose your name, address, employer, and anything else I can, to the world. I am going to get hordes of internet bullies to interfere with your business or job. I am going to plaster your picture on Twitter and label you a racist or whatever the hated term of the day is. I am going to contact your boss and tell him you are a racist who belongs to racist websites. I am going to get activists to raid your business site with bad reviews. I am going to plaster your phone number all over twitter so trolls will call you day and night.......

See how that actually works? Because that is exactly what is happening. I can show you example after example of just that.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
What is the term, for intercepting a private email between two parties, then using the content to make false accusations publicly and issue threats?

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline DCPatriot

Divulging the identity of someone whom you believe committed a crime for a purpose other than reporting that alleged crime to the police can be extortion or abuse of process, depending on the facts.

What about a guy, 21, who got 'involved' with a 17 year old and is now on a "LIST", and where neighbors have the absolute RIGHT to be notified...wherever he decides to live. 

How's them "facts"?

Offline Frank Cannon

So says you......Mervin Snodgrass of 4230 Sassafras Street, Dubuque IA 52001 who drives a green 1995 Toyota Tercel with a rust hole in the right front fender.

Offline DCPatriot

I see you, Joe Smith, are on a political forum I don't like, being opposed to my political thought. I consider you an enemy of the State in my mind, a criminal. What you believe and say leads to the destruction of this nation.

Therefore, I am going to expose your name, address, employer, and anything else I can, to the world. I am going to get hordes of internet bullies to interfere with your business or job. I am going to plaster your picture on Twitter and label you a racist or whatever the hated term of the day is. I am going to contact your boss and tell him you are a racist who belongs to racist websites. I am going to get activists to raid your business site with bad reviews. I am going to plaster your phone number all over twitter so trolls will call you day and night.......

See how that actually works? Because that is exactly what is happening. I can show you example after example of just that.

That isn't only NOT the same league.....it's not the same sport.

It's not illegal to be an bleep on a political forum.    It is, to punch and beat and destroy people/property.

Offline DCPatriot

What is the term, for intercepting a private email between two parties, then using the content to make false accusations publicly and issue threats?

:smokin:

Offline ABX

It depends on 1. If you are a party to the email. If not, then it is hacking. If you a party in the email, then point 1 it is your property so the divulging is acceptable. (but you said intercept so assuming you are referring to a 'hack' like the Anonymous hack of Clinton emails).

2. False accusations and publicly issue threats are a whole other ballgame. Those fall under the line of libel or worse depending on the nature of the threat.

Neither of those though, fall under the subject of Doxxing.

Offline ABX

That isn't only NOT the same league.....it's not the same sport.

It's not illegal to be an bleep on a political forum.    It is, to punch and beat and destroy people/property.

You are absolutely correct, but in the other thread, that is exactly what people were being doxxed for. Not only being an antifa member, but going so far as outing people and doing this to people who did something as simple as sign a petition.

And to expand the point, I think that's what triggered the source article here from The Conservative Treehouse. The owner of the site was outed to his employer for running a political website.

Offline truth_seeker

2. False accusations and publicly issue threats are a whole other ballgame. Those fall under the line of libel or worse depending on the nature of the threat.

And that would certainly violate the high minded postures that you take today, about ethics and morality?

Offline ABX

And that would certainly violate the high minded postures that you take today, about ethics and morality?

Care to be specific or are you virtue signaling?

Offline RoosGirl

Why don't you just go ahead and get to the point.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.

I have been watching Russian WWII series on Amazon Prime, and the most interesting part (other than the story, or perhaps more so) is the paranoid mindset of the Soviet soldier of WWII in terms of loyalty to the Rodina as shown in the commonplace execution of persons suspected of being unfaithful to the state, a situation feared by even the most loyal soldiers. Little more than the assertion of disloyalty is required. Failure to perform any task is seen as evidence, although suicide remained as a way to prove their loyalty. Nice, eh?
Seeing such sentiments expressed on the internet over 'loyalty' to a specific candidate and being "on a train" or being an enemy of America (and similar 'solutions' proposed by those making the assertions) is disturbing, to say the least, especially when the same people acting like political officers in the Soviet Union claim to be Conservative.
The idea of an army of such self appointed political commissars out there lying in wait to destroy those who they disagree with is anathema to the concept of free speech.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

What about a guy, 21, who got 'involved' with a 17 year old and is now on a "LIST", and where neighbors have the absolute RIGHT to be notified...wherever he decides to live. 

How's them "facts"?
That is done through federal and state sex offender registries. People are free to access those websites and check for known sex offenders in their area, and I would encourage people to do so, especially if they suspect something is amiss, but also, just to know.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

RAT Patrol

Interesting source.  The guy who runs that website is all about trashing his political enemies with what I would call flat out slander.  It is hard for me to feel sorry for him.  He was a big Trump supporter, btw.  I have not followed him so I cannot say what he is now.  I do know that he had it in for Mark Levin for a long time because Levin didn't jump on the Trump train fast enough.  That is how I remember it anyway.  I hated his articles which were posted 24/7 over at TOS.  They were worthless as a legit source.  I will never in my lifetime knowingly click on any link to his vile website.  Just my opinion.  Weird how reversed the sides are right now.

Offline truth_seeker

but it included divulging the identity of forum members and people who signed petitions.

California uses a lot of petitions, including the ones which get propositions on ballots.

Such information is PUBLIC, unlike PRIVATE emails between just TWO parties in California, for a specific purpose.

Offline Smokin Joe

Interesting source.  The guy who runs that website is all about trashing his political enemies with what I would call flat out slander.  It is hard for me to feel sorry for him.  He was a big Trump supporter, btw.  I have not followed him so I cannot say what he is now.  I do know that he had it in for Mark Levin for a long time because Levin didn't jump on the Trump train fast enough.  That is how I remember it anyway.  I hated his articles which were posted 24/7 over at TOS.  They were worthless as a legit source.  I will never in my lifetime knowingly click on any link to his vile website.  Just my opinion.  Weird how reversed the sides are right now.
That site was one of the biggest sources/repeaters of slanders during the primaries, and cited often by BFAC and others at TOS as if it was one of the Dead Sea Scrolls. It's pretty low on my credibility list.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 10:58:23 pm by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis