Author Topic: What Would a Hydrogen Bomb Do to the Pacific Ocean?  (Read 1216 times)

Offline DemolitionMan

What Would a Hydrogen Bomb Do to the Pacific Ocean?
« on: September 23, 2017, 08:19:20 pm »
MARINA KOREN

The latest fiery exchange between the United States and North Korea has produced a new kind of threat. On Tuesday, during his speech at the United Nations, President Trump said his government would “totally destroy North Korea” if necessary to defend the United States or its allies. On Friday, Kim Jong Un responded, saying North Korea “will consider with seriousness exercising of a corresponding, highest level of hard-line countermeasure in history.”

more

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2017/09/north-korea-bomb-pacific-ocean/540825/
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Re: What Would a Hydrogen Bomb Do to the Pacific Ocean?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 09:57:19 pm »
Didn't the U.S. do exactly that explode a hydrogen bomb underwater near the Bikini Atoll in the Marshal Islands? Seems to me everything was still there afterwards.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 10:15:18 pm »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Proving_Grounds

Pacific Proving Grounds

The United States conducted 105 atmospheric and underwater (i.e., not underground) nuclear tests in the Pacific, many of which were of extremely high yield. While the Marshall Islands testing composed 14% of all U.S. tests, it composed nearly 80% of the total yields of those detonated by the U.S., with an estimated total yield of around 210 megatons, with the largest being the 15 Mt Castle Bravo shot of 1954 which spread considerable nuclear fallout on many of the islands, including several which were inhabited, and some that had not been evacuated.[3]

Many of the islands which were part of the Pacific Proving Grounds are still contaminated from the nuclear fallout, and many of those who were living on the islands at the time of testing have suffered from an increased incidence of various health problems. Through the Radiation Exposure Compensation Act of 1990, at least $759 million has been paid to Marshall Islanders as compensation for their exposure to U.S. nuclear testing. Following the Castle Bravo accident, the U.S. paid $15.3 million to Japan.[4]

Scientists have calculated that the residents of the Marshall Islands during their lifetimes will be diagnosed with an added 1.6% (with 90% uncertainty range 0.4% to 3.4%) cancers attributable to fallout-related radiation exposures. The cancers are the consequence of exposure to ionizing radiation from weapons test fallout deposited during the testing period (1948-1958) and from residual radioactive sources during the subsequent 12 years (1959-1970).[5]

Offline thackney

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 10:17:13 pm »
The United States conducted 105 atmospheric and underwater (i.e., not underground) nuclear tests in the Pacific, many of which were of extremely high yield.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Proving_Grounds
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 10:56:12 pm »
Make a really big splash.  The way it did when the US conducted nuke tests in the Pacific. 

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 11:20:35 pm »

Well, first this:

Then this:

Then this:

Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2017, 12:34:53 am »
You cannot live on the Bikini Island because it is so radioactive. You can dive in the lagoon.

See: Secrets of the Dead; The World's Biggest Bomb available on DVD and maybe download on Amazon
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 12:51:59 am by DemolitionMan »
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2017, 12:39:02 am »
Didn't the U.S. do exactly that explode a hydrogen bomb underwater near the Bikini Atoll in the Marshal Islands? Seems to me everything was still there afterwards.

The Castle Bravo Test left a one mile crater.The Shrimp device tested in Bravo was a 15 Mt two stage thermonuclear surface burst. This was the first "dry" or solid fuel (lithium deuteride fueled) H-Bomb tested by the U.S., and the first solid fuel Teller-Ulam device ever tested. It was the largest bomb ever tested by the U.S. although this was by accident. The yield of Bravo dramatically exceeded predictions, being about 2.5 times higher than the best guess and almost double the estimated maximum possible yield (6 Mt predicted, estimated yield range 4-8 Mt).
An hour after the shot Navy ships 30 miles south of Bikini found themselves being dusted with fallout with deck radiation levels rising to 5 Rads per hour. navy personnel were forced to retreat below decks and the ships retreated farther from the atoll.
As the fallout drifted east U.S. evacuation efforts lagged behind the plume. At Rongerik, 133 nm from ground zero, 28 U.S. personnel manning a weather station were evacuated on 2 March but not before receiving significant exposures. Evacuations of the 154 Marshallese Islanders only 100 nm from the shot did not begin until the morning of 3 March. Radiation safety personnel computed that the islanders received a whole-body radiation doses of 175 rad on Rongelap, 69 rad on Ailinginae, and 14 rad on Utirik.The Japanese fishing vessel Daigo Fukuryu Maru (Fifth Lucky Dragon) was also heavily contaminated, with the 23 crewmen receiving exposures of 300 Rads, one of whom later died - apparently from complications. This incident created an international uproar, and a diplomatic crisis with Japan.The entire Bikini Atoll was contaminated to varying degrees and plans for conducting test operations from the islands, including use of the firing bunker, had to be abandoned. All further Castle tests were controlled by radio link from the USS Estes.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ge865CR9pN8
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 12:51:07 am by DemolitionMan »

Oceander

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2017, 12:40:50 am »
The Castle Bravo Test left a one mile crater.The Shrimp device tested in Bravo was a 15 Mt two stage thermonuclear surface burst. This was the first "dry" or solid fuel (lithium deuteride fueled) H-Bomb tested by the U.S., and the first solid fuel Teller-Ulam device ever tested. It was the largest bomb ever tested by the U.S. although this was by accident. The yield of Bravo dramatically exceeded predictions, being about 2.5 times higher than the best guess and almost double the estimated maximum possible yield (6 Mt predicted, estimated yield range 4-8 Mt).
An hour after the shot Navy ships 30 miles south of Bikini found themselves being dusted with fallout with deck radiation levels rising to 5 Rads per hour. navy personnel were forced to retreat below decks and the ships retreated farther from the atoll.
As the fallout drifted east U.S. evacuation efforts lagged behind the plume. At Rongerik, 133 nm from ground zero, 28 U.S. personnel manning a weather station were evacuated on 2 March but not before receiving significant exposures. Evacuations of the 154 Marshallese Islanders only 100 nm from the shot did not begin until the morning of 3 March. Radiation safety personnel computed that the islanders received a whole-body radiation doses of 175 rad on Rongelap, 69 rad on Ailinginae, and 14 rad on Utirik.The Japanese fishing vessel Daigo Fukuryu Maru (Fifth Lucky Dragon) was also heavily contaminated, with the 23 crewmen receiving exposures of 300 Rads, one of whom later died - apparently from complications. This incident created an international uproar, and a diplomatic crisis with Japan.The entire Bikini Atoll was contaminated to varying degrees and plans for conducting test operations from the islands, including use of the firing bunker, had to be abandoned. All further Castle tests were controlled by radio link from the USS Estes.

And yet, we still have the Pacific Ocean. 

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2017, 12:50:11 am »
And yet, we still have the Pacific Ocean.

There was a Coronel in an interview during the 1946 Bravo shot that reassured that the ocean would be there
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 12:50:31 am by DemolitionMan »

Oceander

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2017, 12:50:51 am »
There was a Coronel in an interview during the 1946 Bravo shot that reassured that the ocean would be there

Whaddya know, he was correct!

Offline jpsb

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2017, 12:52:36 am »

Well, first this:

That was the "Baker" test and it was not a Hydrogen Bomb, IIRC it was a 40kt Atomic Bomb. Hydrogen Bombs are MUCH bigger.

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2017, 12:52:39 am »

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2017, 12:54:17 am »
That was the "Baker" test and it was not a Hydrogen Bomb, IIRC it was a 40kt Atomic Bomb. Hydrogen Bombs are MUCH bigger.

If you read my quote I did not say it was a hydrogen. I meant specifically Castle Bravo which left a very big crater

Offline jpsb

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2017, 01:13:01 am »
If you read my quote I did not say it was a hydrogen. I meant specifically Castle Bravo which left a very big crater

Which is why I was not responding to you. I was talking about the 1946 Baker test.

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2017, 01:37:55 am »
Which is why I was not responding to you. I was talking about the 1946 Baker test.

Then mention it

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2017, 01:38:54 am »

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ge865CR9pN8

www.youtube.com/watch?v=BddCmfRue0E

Another great Vid Of Castle Bravo

Offline jpsb

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2017, 01:43:50 am »
Then mention it

What part of I wasn't talking to you do you not understand? I was telling the poster that posted the picture of the baker test that baker was not an H-Bomb.

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2017, 01:47:49 am »
What part of I wasn't talking to you do you not understand? I was telling the poster that posted the picture of the baker test that baker was not an H-Bomb.

Congratulation!!