Author Topic: CVS to limit some opioid prescriptions to one week  (Read 585 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
CVS to limit some opioid prescriptions to one week
« on: September 22, 2017, 04:16:21 pm »
CVS to limit some opioid prescriptions to one week
By Max Greenwood - 09/22/17 12:05 PM EDT

CVS Health plans to limit opioid prescriptions to seven days for certain acute conditions in an effort to curb addiction to the pain medications amid the national epidemic.

The pharmacy giant announced Thursday that it will also limit the dosage of opioids based on their strength, and would require the use of immediate-release formulations before extended-release formulations intended more for severe chronic pain.

The changes will go into effect on February 1, CVS said, and will affect all commercial, health plan, employer and Medicaid clients.

more
http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/351911-cvs-to-limit-opioid-prescriptions-to-one-week
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: CVS to limit some opioid prescriptions to one week
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 04:20:53 pm »
When I had a shoulder surgery 4 years ago, the doctor provided only one week at a time.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 04:32:33 pm »
When I had a shoulder surgery 4 years ago, the doctor provided only one week at a time.

By and large the problem isn't 99% of the doctors.  Its the 1% that write 400 prescriptions a day.
Seems with this move CVS is moving into the realm of determining treatment and less on dispensing medicine.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 04:39:10 pm »
By and large the problem isn't 99% of the doctors.  Its the 1% that write 400 prescriptions a day.
Seems with this move CVS is moving into the realm of determining treatment and less on dispensing medicine.

Yet another manifestation of societal mass hysteria, because someone might become addicted. Meanwhile, patients go without proper pain control and are reduced to begging the doctor for relief.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 04:47:42 pm »
I'll have to see how this works in practice.  I know a Fibromyalgia patient who has tried many other treatment options and has found Hydrocodone to be the only one that makes her a functioning person.  Yes, she watches her dosages like a hawk, logs them faithfully, and it has worked well for years.

I first heard about it this morning, and read several different stories.  This one is actually a good story, most of them leave out a lot of details, like the fact this is only for new patients with acute and temporary conditions like a broken leg or dental pain.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Applewood

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 07:22:38 pm »

When I tore cartilage in my knee, I was prescribed enough for 10 days.  But because those pills made me feel loopy and really did nothing for the pain, I quit taking them after 2 pills.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 08:09:33 pm »
When I tore cartilage in my knee, I was prescribed enough for 10 days.  But because those pills made me feel loopy and really did nothing for the pain, I quit taking them after 2 pills.

I took them for a while after a couple hip replacements.  I noticed one day both times, after a few weeks Ibuprofin became more effective than the Hydrocodone, it was like night and day.  One day Vicodin work fine, next day may as well throw bricks in the Grand Canyon.  *Poof!*

Both times I was extremely thankful for the relief I got from the Hydros.  I can't remember how often I got the scrip, the Orthopod Doc would just re-up it if he saw my bottle getting low, and I saw him every week or so.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2017, 08:28:15 pm »
I took them for a while after a couple hip replacements.  I noticed one day both times, after a few weeks Ibuprofin became more effective than the Hydrocodone, it was like night and day.  One day Vicodin work fine, next day may as well throw bricks in the Grand Canyon.  *Poof!*

Both times I was extremely thankful for the relief I got from the Hydros.  I can't remember how often I got the scrip, the Orthopod Doc would just re-up it if he saw my bottle getting low, and I saw him every week or so.

I was given a combination of Oxy and prescription-strength Tylenol.  I suppose it was the Oxy that made me feel loopy.  Really did nothing for the pain, but I felt like my head was in a fog and all I wanted to do was sleep.  Finally dawned on me that if it was the Tylenol relieving the pain, what did I need the Oxy for?  So I ditched the prescription and just took over-the-counter Extra Strength Tylenol.  That, plus doing the R.I.C.E. therapy (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation) relieved the pain and helped me heal. 

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2017, 08:44:45 pm »
I was given a combination of Oxy and prescription-strength Tylenol.  I suppose it was the Oxy that made me feel loopy.  Really did nothing for the pain, but I felt like my head was in a fog and all I wanted to do was sleep.  Finally dawned on me that if it was the Tylenol relieving the pain, what did I need the Oxy for?  So I ditched the prescription and just took over-the-counter Extra Strength Tylenol.  That, plus doing the R.I.C.E. therapy (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation) relieved the pain and helped me heal.

Whatever it takes to knock down the pain.  People often underappreciate the need to relieve the pain to promote healing.  The body reacts poorly when in constant pain, and won't heal if it thinks you're in trauma.
I will NOT comply.