Author Topic: The list of diseases linked to air pollution is growing  (Read 447 times)

rangerrebew

The list of diseases linked to air pollution is growing
« on: September 22, 2017, 02:09:06 pm »
The list of diseases linked to air pollution is growing
By
Laura Beil
7:00am, September 19, 2017

BAD AIR  U.S. pollution levels have come way down since the 1970s, but there’s still enough smog to raise the risk for cardiovascular deaths. Researchers are also drawing new connections between dirty air and metabolic and brain disorders.

To the residents of Donora, Pa., a mill town in a crook of the Monongahela River, the daily haze from nearby zinc and steel plants was the price of keeping their families fed. But on October 27, 1948, the city awoke to an unusually sooty sky, even for Donora. The next day, the high school quarterbacks couldn’t see their teammates well enough to complete a single pass.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/list-diseases-linked-air-pollution-growing
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 02:10:47 pm by rangerrebew »

rangerrebew

Re: The list of diseases linked to air pollution is growing
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 02:11:58 pm »
I can't help but notice the rather deceptive headline:  "linked to" not CAUSED BY. :pondering:

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 02:14:25 pm »
Speaking as someone who spent 8 years of my airforce career in buildings or underground facilities with poor air, it can mess you up.   
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 02:51:32 am »
I don't know.  I worked for years in Pittsburgh, even lived there for a few years.  A long time ago, people burned coal, numerous factories were belching who knows what chemicals into the air and cars didn't have  anti-pollution devices.  Sometimes the smog was thick.  You couldn't go outside in a white shirt.  Your shirt would turn black.  Well, coal isn't used at homes anymore, most of the factories are gone and the few which are left have pollution controls as do cars.  But at least once a year, some enviro-whacko group comes out with a report saying that Pittsburgh's air is getting worse.  How can that be? 

I think articles like this are just more propaganda from lefties eager to destroy industry, tax us to death and control our lives.