Author Topic: Judge blocks Texas’ newest voter ID law  (Read 1556 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Judge blocks Texas’ newest voter ID law
« on: September 22, 2017, 06:26:22 am »
Judge blocks Texas’ newest voter ID law
By
Jakob Rodriguez -
Sep 20, 2017, 5:00 am

U.S. District Judge Nelva Gonzales Ramos of Corpus Christi, a Texas State distinguished alumna, issued an injunction permanently barring Texas from enforcing its voter ID law, Aug. 23.

Introduced in 2011 during the 82 legislative session, authors and sponsors of Senate Bill 14 called for proof of identification prior to voting in an attempt to mitigate voter fraud.

The bill was passed in May of 2011, and by March 2012 the legislation had been struck down by the Justice Department.

Thomas E. Perez, former assistant attorney general for the Civil Rights Division, stated he must object a part of the bill in a determination letter to the election director.

Continued: http://star.txstate.edu/2017/09/20/judge-blocks-texas-newest-voter-id-law/

Offline Applewood

Re: Judge blocks Texas’ newest voter ID law
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 10:46:04 am »

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 12:55:03 pm »
Thomas E. Perez, former assistant attorney general for the Civil Rights Division, stated he must object a part of the bill in a determination letter to the election director.
Is that the same Tom Perez who's in charge of the DNC? (Edit: Indeed it is.) Isn't it curious how the story leaves that part out?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 12:56:21 pm by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 01:15:31 pm »
Is that the same Tom Perez who's in charge of the DNC? (Edit: Indeed it is.) Isn't it curious how the story leaves that part out?

Yes, that is.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 01:29:48 pm »
A common sense proposal to limit the damage in elections due to voting by other than citizens of Texas.  Saying a photo ID presented at the booth is a harm to minorities voting when it is free to all citizens.

The runaway judge is getting close to being defied by the leaders of the State and simply ignoring the ruling.

What could the judge do anyway?

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 02:54:17 pm »
A common sense proposal to limit the damage in elections due to voting by other than citizens of Texas.  Saying a photo ID presented at the booth is a harm to minorities voting when it is free to all citizens.

The runaway judge is getting close to being defied by the leaders of the State and simply ignoring the ruling.

The POS needs to be IMPEACHED!!!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 03:29:07 pm »

Great idea. Simply ignore them. They have no power to do anything about it.

I believe that we will see more of this. As the judiciary becomes more and more dictatorial, blatantly making rulings on their own personal ideology while totally ignoring and dismissing the law, the Legislative and Executive branches of government will have no choice but to ignore them.

When you have a judiciary which has become radical and irrational branch of the Democrat Party, then there is no way to negotiate or accommodate them. Once the Judges decide to stop 'playing be the rules', then there is no longer any need for the other side to continue to play by the rules when dealing with them.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline CSM

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2017, 03:42:41 pm »
Why is it an "undue burden" on minorities to require an ID when voting, but it is not an "undue burden" to require an ID to sign up for Obamacare?  If we can't enforce it for voting, then we can't enforce for any federally mandated situation. 

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2017, 03:56:08 pm »

Great idea. Simply ignore them. They have no power to do anything about it.

I believe that we will see more of this. As the judiciary becomes more and more dictatorial, blatantly making rulings on their own personal ideology while totally ignoring and dismissing the law, the Legislative and Executive branches of government will have no choice but to ignore them.

When you have a judiciary which has become radical and irrational branch of the Democrat Party, then there is no way to negotiate or accommodate them. Once the Judges decide to stop 'playing be the rules', then there is no longer any need for the other side to continue to play by the rules when dealing with them.
We have a gutless House and Senate to impeach and remove this aberration of a judge, so let's just let the Texas legislature and Governor move on doing things their own way instead.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Millee

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2017, 04:16:27 pm »
Why is it an "undue burden" on minorities to require an ID when voting, but it is not an "undue burden" to require an ID to sign up for Obamacare?  If we can't enforce it for voting, then we can't enforce for any federally mandated situation.

gogogodzilla

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2017, 04:26:06 pm »

And just as accessible to procure. 

It's useless to offer a "free" ID card if you have to travel to the moon (or cross-state) to get it.  And requires 18 different, highly costly, prerequisite documents in order to obtain.

From what I can gather, that is the issue the judge has (minus my hyperbole).
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 04:26:36 pm by gogogodzilla »

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2017, 04:26:16 pm »

@CSM
@IsailedawayfromFR

It's a salient and glaringly obvious point, but at the same time it is a futile argument. The people and groups fighting against an ID requirement are not hiding their intent at all. And their intent has nothing to do with common sense, logic, or the law. In fact the opposite is true. This Judge is thumbing nose at the law and at the people of Texas to openly support voter fraud, which is, of course, the whole point of the issue.

So, he is saying that his personal opinion is more important than 'law'. He believes his opinion is more important than the entire State of Texas. Therefore, he is already no longer a Judge, in a realistic and practical sense.

It is impossible to act as an impartial Judge who interprets law based on the four corners, and to be a radical activist at the same time. It doesn't work. This person has transitioned from being a Judge to being a political activist. In any normal reality, this would end his judicial career.

Whether or not the people of Texas have the cajones to do something about Senor Ramos, remains to be seen. But, there has to be a breaking-point with these radical, activists, Judges. We simply cannot sit by while they declare themselves to be 'ultimate dictators in black robes' who rule country by fiat. Maybe this will be that point.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2017, 05:07:03 pm »
And just as accessible to procure. 

It's useless to offer a "free" ID card if you have to travel to the moon (or cross-state) to get it.  And requires 18 different, highly costly, prerequisite documents in order to obtain.

From what I can gather, that is the issue the judge has (minus my hyperbole).

It's not that difficult, at least not for those born here:

Apply for an Identification (ID) Card

Note: DPS no longer issues both a Driver License (DL) and Identification (ID) card to an individual. Applicants holding both types of cards must surrender one at the time of transaction. Texas Transportation Code (TRC 521.183)

To apply for your first Texas ID card, you must do the following:

Gather documents that verify your identity, U.S. citizenship or lawful presence status, Social Security Number and Texas residency.
    Complete the application. (This form is also available at all driver license offices.)
    Apply in person at any driver license office and bring the required documents and fees.

New Texas Residents

Individuals who hold a valid, unexpired ID card from another U.S. state, U.S. territory or foreign country, do not need to replace it with a Texas ID card until it expires. To apply for a Texas ID card, an individual must meet all of the above requirements.
U.S. Military Veterans

Some disabled veterans may qualify for a fee exemption on their driver license or ID card. More information about this service, including qualification requirements, is available on the Veteran Services page.

http://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLicense/applyforID.htm

Identification Card (ID) Fees ID type    *Fee    Information
Identification (ID) card         
Age 59 and younger: new    $16    Expires after six years (on your birthday)
Age 59 and younger: renewal    $16    Expires six years after previous expiration date

Age 60 and older: new or renewal    $6    Expires after six years (on your birthday)
Replacement ID card    $11    Current expiration date does not change
Replace a lost, stolen, or damaged ID card         
Change address or name         
Limited term ID card
For temporary visitors to the U.S.    $16    Expires when period of lawful presence expires, or in one year if lawful presence period is “duration of status”
ID card for individuals registered under Chapter 62, CCP
New or renewal    $21    Expires one year after previous expiration date

gogogodzilla

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2017, 05:20:32 pm »

And what proves US citizenship?  A birth certificate or naturalization papers.  From what I've read, some states no longer allow people to order a copy of their birth certificate (North Carolina), so if you were born in North Carolina and live in Texas... it's going to be extremely difficult to get your birth certificate.

And that disenfranchises American citizens, keeping them from being able to vote.

Perhaps Texas should coordinate with the other 49 states and the federal government to verify US citizenship (through birth or naturalization), so that these types of problems don't happen at all.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 05:21:14 pm by gogogodzilla »

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2017, 05:30:26 pm »
An Obama appointee, of course.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nelva_Gonzales_Ramos

And people think Trump's appointment of good judges is not all that important.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2017, 05:33:26 pm »

The one and only.  The communist SOB should be in prison himself!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 05:33:48 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2017, 05:34:54 pm »
And that North Carolinian, if he gives up on Texas and decides to go back to his home state, he won't be able to fly using his driver's license after Jan22, unless the state gets another extension.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2017, 05:35:37 pm »
And what proves US citizenship?  A birth certificate or naturalization papers.  From what I've read, some states no longer allow people to order a copy of their birth certificate (North Carolina), so if you were born in North Carolina and live in Texas... it's going to be extremely difficult to get your birth certificate.

And that disenfranchises American citizens, keeping them from being able to vote.

Perhaps Texas should coordinate with the other 49 states and the federal government to verify US citizenship (through birth or naturalization), so that these types of problems don't happen at all.

Click on the link.  It tells you exactly what is needed.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2017, 05:38:03 pm »

Last time I checked Texas had 3 picture ID cards. Drivers license, Texas ID and
a Texas Voter ID card. Each can be used for voting. The first two require a little
effort to get. The Texas voter ID card was the easiest to get and free IIRC. I
never looked into the documentation needed to get it, but it was for the folks
having a hard time getting the DL or TID.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2017, 05:38:08 pm »

Let's not forget - the votes of minorities are just as disenfranchised by phony voters as anyone else. 

This is about protecting the integrity and value of the votes of those eligible to vote.  A photo ID is just such a simple, common-sense requirement.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline jpsb

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2017, 05:47:25 pm »

OK I looked it up

Election Identification Certificates (EIC) - Documentation Requirements

To qualify for an EIC, you must:

Bring documentation to verify U.S. Citizenship
    Bring documentation to verify Identity
    Be eligible to vote in Texas *(Bring a valid voter registration card,
          or submit a voter registration application to the Texas Department
          of Public Safety) 
    Be a Texas resident
    Be 17 years and 10 months or older

Birth certificate
Social Security card
2 recent bills showing your address

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2017, 05:47:30 pm »
All of the various 'reasons' and 'excuses' for not requiring an ID to vote are all idiotic. Democrats are not fans of 'law and order', that's the first thing. Along with that, Democrats, and many Republicans as well, support voter fraud. No rational person could be against requiring an ID to vote unless their goal is specifically to promote and abet voter fraud. All of these Democrat activists are being ridiculous. You can't buy a beer without an ID, but you can vote? Give me a break.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXwb9_8VRIs

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2017, 05:57:22 pm »

@CSM
@IsailedawayfromFR

It's a salient and glaringly obvious point, but at the same time it is a futile argument. The people and groups fighting against an ID requirement are not hiding their intent at all. And their intent has nothing to do with common sense, logic, or the law. In fact the opposite is true. This Judge is thumbing nose at the law and at the people of Texas to openly support voter fraud, which is, of course, the whole point of the issue.

So, he is saying that his personal opinion is more important than 'law'. He believes his opinion is more important than the entire State of Texas. Therefore, he is already no longer a Judge, in a realistic and practical sense.

It is impossible to act as an impartial Judge who interprets law based on the four corners, and to be a radical activist at the same time. It doesn't work. This person has transitioned from being a Judge to being a political activist. In any normal reality, this would end his judicial career.

Whether or not the people of Texas have the cajones to do something about Senor Ramos, remains to be seen. But, there has to be a breaking-point with these radical, activists, Judges. We simply cannot sit by while they declare themselves to be 'ultimate dictators in black robes' who rule country by fiat. Maybe this will be that point.
I may be wrong, but I seem to recall seeing somewhere that Ramos might be daughter of a couple of illegals.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2017, 06:14:53 pm »
OK I looked it up

Election Identification Certificates (EIC) - Documentation Requirements

To qualify for an EIC, you must:

Bring documentation to verify U.S. Citizenship
    Bring documentation to verify Identity
    Be eligible to vote in Texas *(Bring a valid voter registration card,
          or submit a voter registration application to the Texas Department
          of Public Safety) 
    Be a Texas resident
    Be 17 years and 10 months or older

Birth certificate
Social Security card
2 recent bills showing your address

See - there it is.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2017, 06:15:31 pm »
I may be wrong, but I seem to recall seeing somewhere that Ramos might be daughter of a couple of illegals.

Yeah, I think I saw that too.