Author Topic: Asphalt Shingle Marks On Vinyl Siding  (Read 1474 times)

Offline mrclose

Asphalt Shingle Marks On Vinyl Siding
« on: September 22, 2017, 12:48:16 am »
Well .. It is a General type question! :whistle:

Just had our roof replaced after waiting for months for the roofers to show!

1st day: One adult Hispanic and four 12-14(?) year old male Hispanics.

Could not communicate at all.

Around 9 hours into the job, a leg comes through the master bath ceiling!
Nothing was said about the accident until my better half walked into the bath and started screaming. :thud:

I had to go and get the older guy and 'lead' him to the hole. :shrug:

I called the company and the hole was repaired the next day ... all except for me now having to paint the ceiling!

Day Two: Five adult males get to the job at 7am and finish everything by 4pm.

Roof looks great but that leaves the question ... How to get rid of the 'many' asphalt scuff marks that were 'somehow' left over all of my white vinyl siding??

I don't want to scrub the marks because I'm pretty sure that I will then have discoloration in those areas?

I've heard that WD-40 or a citrus cleaner will work?

How about a cleaner like GoJo?

Forget calling the roofing company back, I don't trust them to know what to do!!
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Asphalt Shingle Marks On Vinyl Siding
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 12:59:11 am »

I have used these on my siding many times...I am sure it will remove scuff marks.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 01:00:51 am »
I've just turned 30 years on my 30 year roof. No leaks, but I guess its time. When I had the roof put on 30yrs ago, I had a friend in the construction biz. I asked him who to use, and since I was going to be too busy to be there, I gave my friend a typical week's pay for him to watch the job for me. They had about 10 men on my roof. Tear off and reroof in one day, with cleanup the next morning.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 02:00:21 am »
Mineral Spirits
Naptha
or Turpentine.

Nothing hotter.

Possibly butane or kerosene.

Try them somewhere before any big application. Preferably on a scrap piece of siding that is as old and sun exposed as your own. pay careful attention to shine. if the sheen is different stop everything and try something else, or know you'll have to do the whole wall.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 04:08:52 am »
Well .. It is a General type question! :whistle:

Just had our roof replaced after waiting for months for the roofers to show!

1st day: One adult Hispanic and four 12-14(?) year old male Hispanics.

Could not communicate at all.

Around 9 hours into the job, a leg comes through the master bath ceiling!
Nothing was said about the accident until my better half walked into the bath and started screaming. :thud:

I had to go and get the older guy and 'lead' him to the hole. :shrug:

I called the company and the hole was repaired the next day ... all except for me now having to paint the ceiling!

Day Two: Five adult males get to the job at 7am and finish everything by 4pm.

Roof looks great but that leaves the question ... How to get rid of the 'many' asphalt scuff marks that were 'somehow' left over all of my white vinyl siding??

I don't want to scrub the marks because I'm pretty sure that I will then have discoloration in those areas?

I've heard that WD-40 or a citrus cleaner will work?

How about a cleaner like GoJo?

Forget calling the roofing company back, I don't trust them to know what to do!!

??? Oh boy. For starters, I would have never hired roofers who didn't show up for months nor would I have hired a company who had employees who couldn't communicate.  One of the first questions I ask a contractor is if his employees are here legally and if they can speak English. If they don't have a legal crew that can speak English, I won't hire them. It's that simple. My second question is if they carry liability insurance/workman's comp and I request that they give me a copy.  If they don't, I won't hire them.  As for the scuff marks, maybe try petroleum jelly?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 04:10:44 am by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline DB

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 04:16:23 am »
I would contact the vinyl siding manufacturer on what to use.

Be very careful. Most solvents will probably damage the vinyl long term. It is one of those things that it may look fine now but after a couple of years go by the siding starts to discolor or otherwise deteriorate in the spots where the solvent was applied. Then it becomes a BIG problem...

Offline DB

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2017, 04:18:07 am »
??? Oh boy. For starters, I would have never hired roofers who didn't show up for months nor would I have hired a company who had employees who couldn't communicate.  One of the first questions I ask a contractor is if his employees are here legally and if they can speak English. If they don't have a legal crew that can speak English, I won't hire them. It's that simple. My second question is if they carry liability insurance/workman's comp and I request that they give me a copy.  If they don't, I won't hire them.  As for the scuff marks, maybe try petroleum jelly?

Yep they have to have a license and be bonded/insured. They fall through or off your roof getting injured or worse you may be on the hook entirely.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2017, 04:21:19 am »
Douse a rag with gasoline and apply liberally to the area with the tar. Light a cigarette and throw the match on the gasoline soaked siding. Let the house burn down 70% before calling the Fire Dept. Collect insurance check and buy a new house.

If the roofer did that shitty a job in the first place your going to have serious roof rot in a couple years. Might as well nip it in the bud now.

Offline DB

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2017, 04:25:52 am »
Douse a rag with gasoline and apply liberally to the area with the tar. Light a cigarette and throw the match on the gasoline soaked siding. Let the house burn down 70% before calling the Fire Dept. Collect insurance check and buy a new house.

If the roofer did that shitty a job in the first place your going to have serious roof rot in a couple years. Might as well nip it in the bud now.

Forever the optimist...

Offline libertybele

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2017, 04:33:32 am »

:beer:

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2017, 01:44:58 pm »
Forever the optimist...

In fact, Frank puts a whole new spin on "optimist".

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2017, 02:00:42 pm »

This except I ask their customers rather than them. Everything here is word of mouth.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline libertybele

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2017, 11:42:27 pm »
This except I ask their customers rather than them. Everything here is word of mouth.

Actually, I ask them to provide me a copy of their license (or license number) and proof of liability insurance.  It is easy enough to check that information out with the city where they are licensed and a quick call to the insurance company.  If the crew shows up and I go out and talk to them and they can't converse in English ... I fire them.