Author Topic: By 2100, oceans may hold enough carbon to launch sixth mass extermination of species, mathematics predicts (Update)  (Read 481 times)

rangerrebew

By 2100, oceans may hold enough carbon to launch sixth mass extermination of species, mathematics predicts (Update)
September 20, 2017

In the past 540 million years, the Earth has endured five mass extinction events, each involving processes that upended the normal cycling of carbon through the atmosphere and oceans. These globally fatal perturbations in carbon each unfolded over thousands to millions of years, and are coincident with the widespread extermination of marine species around the world.

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2017-09-mathematics-sixth-mass-extinction.html#jCp

rangerrebew

It will have to do battle for primacy with all the B.S. spewed by global warming alarmists and politicians. :bullie smokin:

Oceander

"Mathematics predicts" - what the hell is that supposed to mean?

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor

Earth Is Not in the Midst of a Sixth Mass Extinction

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2017/06/the-ends-of-the-world/529545/

“As scientists we have a responsibility to be accurate about such comparisons.”

Surely we’ve earned our place in the pantheon next to the greatest ecological catastrophes of all time: the so-called Big Five mass extinctions of earth history. Surely our Anthropocene extinction can confidently take its place next to the juggernauts of deep time—the Ordovician, Devonian, Permian, Triassic and Cretaceous extinctions.

Erwin says no. He thinks it’s junk science.

“Many of those making facile comparisons between the current situation and past mass extinctions don’t have a clue about the difference in the nature of the data, much less how truly awful the mass extinctions recorded in the marine fossil record actually were,” he wrote me in an email. “It is absolutely critical to recognize that I am NOT claiming that humans haven’t done great damage to marine and terrestrial [ecosystems], nor that many extinctions have not occurred and more will certainly occur in the near future. But I do think that as scientists we have a responsibility to be accurate about such comparisons.”

Much more: https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2017/06/the-ends-of-the-world/529545/

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Maybe oysters will do better and make more pearls, too. If coral reefs can just find enough calcium, they can grow faster, and more phytoplankton will be able to feed more zooplankton which feed more of the little critters that feed the fishies and whales and there will be more tuna for the sushi bars for the people who run around in their Birkenstocks predicting, yet again, the end of everything.  Or not.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
"Mathematics predicts" - what the hell is that supposed to mean?
It means they know more than the vast innumerate masses whose eyes cloud over at the first integral sign.
Just ask them, and they'll tell you you couldn't possibly understand without a STEM PhD. *****rollingeyes*****
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 12:28:23 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis