Author Topic: Royal Navy a 'laughing stock' with three quarters of its warships out of action and 'struggling to protect British citizens'  (Read 546 times)

Offline Suppressed

Royal Navy a 'laughing stock' with three quarters of its warships out of action and 'struggling to protect British citizens'
by Con Coughlin, defence editor
14 SEPTEMBER 2017 • 9:30PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/09/14/royal-navy-laughing-stock-three-quarters-warships-action-struggling/

The Royal Navy can only send a quarter of its warships to sea due to spending cuts which have left the armed forces "struggling to protect Britain's citizens", the Telegraph has learned.

Currently 13 of the Navy's 19-strong fleet of Type 23 frigates and Type 45 destroyers are unable to go to sea due to a lack of manpower, fuel and supplies, senior military sources have revealed.

The cuts to defence spending have also severely hampered Britain’s response to Hurricane Irma.

[...]

Excerpt.  Read more at http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/09/14/royal-navy-laughing-stock-three-quarters-warships-action-struggling/
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
I can't think of anything more sad to a nation with one of the greatest navies in history, that literally ruled the high seas for hundreds of years after the defeat of the Spanish armada. It creates cognitive dissonance just to read it.
The Republic is lost.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
The US Navy is better and much larger (not terribly difficult with only 6 operational) but they have been seriously hampered by budget cuts without a cut in the mission.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 04:58:45 pm by driftdiver »
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
The US Navy is better and much larger (not terribly difficult with only 6 operational) but they have been seriously hampered by budget cuts without a cut in the mission.

Our Navy is almost in the same situation as the Royal Navy.  Especially wen you look at the expanding threat of China and the nuclear threat from the Norks.

Lack of training...severe delays in maintenance...grounded aircraft and ships in dry dock for years. We as well as England need to get our military acts together fast.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!