Author Topic: The Ultimate Collection of Manly Smells  (Read 855 times)

Offline mountaineer

The Ultimate Collection of Manly Smells
« on: September 20, 2017, 03:48:12 pm »
The Ultimate Collection of Manly Smells
 AoM Team | September 11, 2017

Smells can conjure up powerful memories. The smell of pine needles can take you back to childhood Christmases or the smell of a laundry detergent can remind you of home. For me, there are certain smells that I’ve come to associate with manliness. Whenever I smell them I think of my dad or grandpa or some aspect of my boyhood and my initiation into the rites of manhood.

It was back in 2009 when we first came up with the idea for creating a list of manly smells. We asked you, our readers, for your input, and we gathered together 15 especially virile scents. The list was a hit, and we of course received hundreds of comments relaying further manly smells to feature. So four years later in 2013, we did another crowdsourced list, that time of 18 aromas. We’re at it again, but this time we’ve combined those two original lists with a handful more to boot. Thus, below we present the ultimate collection of manly smells! Interspersed in this list you’ll find not only our descriptions of manly smells, but also memories from our readers themselves.

Hardware Store

The hardware store is a smorgasbord of manly smells: paint, wood, fertilizer, metal. It’s all there. As a boy, there was a local hardware store that my dad would go to. He’d lug my brother and I along. We’d open up all the drawers for the hinges and nails and play hide-in-seek in the door displays. Like many local hardware stores, it went out of business years ago when the Big Box stores moved in. The building was torn down and replaced with an upscale shopping center. But whenever I drive by the corner where it once stood, I can still smell the manliness that once emanated from that place.

Black Coffee   ...

Read the rest at Art of Manliness
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: The Ultimate Collection of Manly Smells
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 03:56:19 pm »
Yes to every last thing on this list. Almost brings me to tears of memories of childhood, especially way back when grandma was still alive and grandpa owned a junkyard out in the country with all the smells that went with it. We were nearly dirt poor and life was simple but those were the best times.
The Republic is lost.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 03:58:05 pm »
I agree, FV. Everything on the list brought back memories for me, too.  My late father was a woodworking hobbyist, and I love the smell of sawdust.  ^-^

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 04:21:30 pm »
A great collection.

I remember standing out by the horse stalls, many years ago, and my horse came out to see what I was doing.  She snuffled at my hand as a cold fall wind kicked up and spread that smell of horse and hay.  It smelled timeless and old and new all at the same time.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 11:31:02 am »
And don't get me started on the smell of an old-fashioned hardware store! I'll go in and buy something just for an excuse to sniff in that old familiar aroma.

Offline anubias

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 04:13:30 pm »
Every time I enter Gibson's in Kerrville my eyes well with tears. I feel my father's strong, warm hand enclosing mine as I walk through the store.